Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tried and failed

Options
  • 28-04-2008 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I just came across this fourm and thought I'd have a go. I gave up smoking on the 1st of Jan. I used patches to stave off the cravings. It worked, while I was on the patches I had no trouble staying off the fags.
    Then I got it into my head to get rid of the patches too. It was March by now and I felt strong. Within the week I was having real trouble sitting still. I wanted to eat everything. I tried to keep busy but it didn't work, I bought 20 cigs and smoked away thinking that I'll give up again once they were gone.
    Now I want to try again, I'm not sure about patches though, I think they made me crazy with the nicoteen still going in. I've broke all the habits, I don't smoke when I drink.
    What do you guys think? Cold turkey?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

Hi Bodhan

I'm on a cold turkey quit now since last August and I had previously tried the patches, gum and cold turkey on about 8 different occasions. I think/hope that I've now exhausted every possible reason to go back on them......"I'm so stressed", "I've been off them so long, I'm sure I could have just one", "I wonder what one would taste like now" etc. etc. ;-)

This time round I read Mark Jordans "Break the chains", its a free ebook that you can google for and download. I found it really helpful. Allen Carrs "Easy Way to Stop Smoking" is very good too, if you're at all anxious about quitting then I'd recommend Easy Way over Mark Jordan as Allen really helps challenge the way you think about smoking while you're still smoking.....you really have nothing to lose!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

+1 for Allen Carr.

I'm 10 months off them now, and I decided after some thought to quit cold turkey*. See what they say about that on www.whyquit.com (but you don't have to go along with everything else you read there). You sound like it might be the right thing for you now...(?)

* I'm 44 and I'd been smoking for pretty much 30 years... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

govinda wrote: »
    I think/hope that I've now exhausted every possible reason to go back on them......"I'm so stressed", "I've been off them so long, I'm sure I could have just one", "I wonder what one would taste like now" etc. etc. ;-)

I think you have hit the nail on the head there govinda. I think that the reason most people "fail" is because of one of the above. The trick is to be prepared for these moments. Before you stop, think about all the excuses you might come up with to start again and write down reasons why you should not/do not want to give into that temptation. When a weak moment comes along you will be ready for it.

The method of giving up is not as important as you state of mind when you give up.

Go for it Bodhan, just remember, it is not easy and dont expect it to be so.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

Thanks for the advice guys, I am gonna try again. I have Alan Carr's book so I'll give that a read too.

I'll go for it tish weekend and let you know how I get on. Cold turkey here I come :D

Advertisement