Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ulster Scots a Language

Options
  • 28-04-2008 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

I thought the only Language i understood with any fluency was English, however it appears i can also understand Ulster scots, without having ever been exposed to it before.

does it really classify as a distinct language (like Irish for example) , i have read a variety if ulster scots documents and heard a bit pronounced on the internet, i had little or no trouble understanding 99% of it. there also seems to be a campaign to make it an official language, does it warrant being treated as an official language, when it just seems to be a dialect of English.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Among academic linguists, Ulster Scots is treated as a variety of the Scots language or, along with all Scots varieties, as a dialect of English although United Kingdom declares, in accordance with Article 2, paragraph 1 of the Charter that it recognises that Scots and Ulster Scots meet the Charter's definition of a regional or minority language for the purposes of Part II of the Charter. Wiki

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

Is it something like that language in Robbie Burns' poetry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

No more a language than Cockney Rhyming of Traveller talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭daithicarr

The Traveller language, the Cant is a proper language; it has all the characteristics which define a language. However the wiki entry on it is fairly off the mark in relation to the academic works I studied on it on collage.

However Ulster Scots is mutually intelligible to most English speakers, much more so than say Jamaican Patois.

Advertisement