Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re: room rent

Options
  • 28-04-2008 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all.

I'm renting a room in a house for a year now with two others. One is moving out, so I'm moving into her double en-suite room. However, we are still looking for a replacement for my room. The remaining housemate has said that if someone isn't found, I have to cover the rent in my old room for the month.

Is this true? We all pay the landlord seperately by direct debit each month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Surely not? Why not just stay in your room until you find a new tenant. Just show them that your room will be the room they are moving into and when they move in, you change rooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

cormie wrote: »
    Surely not? Why not just stay in your room until you find a new tenant. Just show them that your room will be the room they are moving into and when they move in, you change rooms?

Because the girl in the big room is moving out! Even if I stayed in my current room for the moment, there is still the bigger rooms rent to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Yeah, but I'm just saying that if you do what I suggested, then your flat mate would have no reason to say YOU should be the one to pay the whole fee. I'm not too sure anyway on the legal side of it. Sounds a bit harsh though?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Are you paying by the room, or what? If by the room, you pay the rent of the big room. If it's divided up between ye, ye both pay 50% of the small room.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

A bit harsh is right. Have you talked to the landlord about the issue?

Who is your housemate to be telling you have to pay anyhow??

• Advertisement

Well basically, we each pay our own room rent. I'll call the girl moving out Anne and the girl staying Denise. Anne has a double en-suite, and Denise has a double room while I have the single (box!) room.

Anne said she was moving out so I said I'd take her room. Denise told me that it's up to the person moving out to find a replacement for their room, and I asked what would happen if we couldn't find a suitable replacement before Anne moves out, and Denise said that I'd have to pay up the rent for the single room.

I'll probably talk to the landlord about it, just wanted to find out what the legal side is. If anyone can help let me know, or if anyone needs a single room in a great house in Santry, also let me know, haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,484 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Is there a difference in rent between the rooms? Will it take longer to rent out your room than the ensuite room?

If there is a difference, you should pay it when you move into it.

If it takes longer to rent out your old room (a very subjective thing), then you should absorb some of that cost.

If the rent on the rooms is the same, then you're pulling a fast one by laying claim to the ensuite room.

I once looked at a 4 bed place being rented by someone, he had the double room/ens to himself, and wanted the rent to be split in four (2 doubles and a single with a shard bath were the other rooms). He was basically a hippy, who wouldn't pay the evil NTL for TV, but was happy enough to screw whoever moved in with him of the extra rent.

[edit]based on your response, Anne has found a tenant (you), so now you need to find a tenant for your old room[/edit]

astrofool wrote: »
    Is there a difference in rent between the rooms? Will it take longer to rent out your room than the ensuite room?

If there is a difference, you should pay it when you move into it.

If it takes longer to rent out your old room (a very subjective thing), then you should absorb some of that cost.

If the rent on the rooms is the same, then you're pulling a fast one by laying claim to the ensuite room.

I once looked at a 4 bed place being rented by someone, he had the double room/ens to himself, and wanted the rent to be split in four (2 doubles and a single with a shard bath were the other rooms). He was basically a hippy, who wouldn't pay the evil NTL for TV, but was happy enough to screw whoever moved in with him of the extra rent.

[edit]based on your response, Anne has found a tenant (you), so now you need to find a tenant for your old room[/edit]

Yeah there is a difference, the single room is €60 cheaper than the double en-suite.

Because my room is a single room, it's harder finding someone for that - the double en-suite would be no problem to rent because the house is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Do you have a Lease, and what does that say?

No signed lease - just moved in and started paying DD to the landlord. He's registered with the PRTB though so I presume its above board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

If there is no signed Lease then, I would say that the fact that the responsibility of getting someone new in is up to the two people living there and/or the landlord. If you fail to get someone, for say a month or more, it should not affect how much you each pay. If there is nothing in writing, I don't think the landlord or the other tenant can force you to pay more than what the rate for the room is. It would be no harm though to put an ad up on daft, if you haven't already.

Aye, its been on Daft for two weeks, and Gumtree as of today. Its just finding the right housemate - someone who has good english is the main downfall. Neither of us want to live with someone we can't communicate easily with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I used to live in a house share situation. Our deal was the person moving out had to advertise the room and share the 'interviews' but the people staying had to make the ultimate choice.

We didn't have a lease either so when a room was vacant due to market conditions i.e. no-one interested then the landlord took the hit. Sometimes it went on for a few months but we could always prove that we had it advertised and were meeting people every week.

Hope that helps you abit. Your flatmate is taking through her ar5e. She has conveniently tried to convince you that you've to pay for the second room. :rolleyes: Cheeky cheeky

Advertisement