Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Reaction - An Apology

Options
  • 28-04-2008 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

I am a representative of the sport and the IAA as with all members however when the games stopped I considered myself off-duty and just a camper as I was told by others several times and that I should relax like any camping trip. This mindset was in use when I reacted to the immaturity being displayed.

I was grossly disappointed with the level of due respect being shown to the site, the campers and to those managing the fire. How I handled this issue was nothing short of unjust and unprofessional. I whole heartedly apologize to those individuals with whom I bellowed at, as the way in which I did so was simply wrong. I sincerely hope you can accept my apology for my mistake as I realize I am merely human and prone to error.

I also apologize to the IAA as some people have labeled this as an IAA fault when I was acting on my own, as an adult in a very bad mood, seasoned camper, and disappointed community member.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yikes is that what the incident was, bah I thought it would involve lube, some local wildlife, duct tape (yes thats in just for you Falls!) and a large pack of peanut M&M's.....

How disappointing ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Right, to anyone who is of the opinion that was mentioned in the gathering thread, might i just point out to you that these people do what they do everyday AFTER THEIR OWN JOBS for the benefit of you and the sport, if you can chill back and wind down at the end of the night why cant they? are they some sort of machines? are they not intitled to the same human rights just because they REPRESENT YOU WITH NO PROFIT?

it was a camp fire, we were chilling at end of an exhausting day and one or two people were getting a little rowdy, CONOR spoke his mind and all was sorted, the IAA said NOTHING at that point.,
    its not like he threatened to kill anyone or something, Jesus get over it, if it offended you its most likely coz you were on the recieving end of it for acting the bollo* anyway.,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Unless you want every spam mailbot on your email account, I would take it down and advise a pm response.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Look lads ive said nothing about what happened it just said things happened, but since you started the thread and i was the one who brought up the whole subject, im going to name a few incidents which i was aware of

1 When a number of the younger players went over to the group of IAA members, and were then told to FCUK OFF by IAA members.

2 Around 2 some returned to the campfire as some IAA members had returned also, then one of them went into martin to tell him, he the returned and kicked over the fire, this is something martin would not have told him to do when you consider how close it was to tents.

3 Discharging of pistols in the camp at 3 in the morning, when i shouted at them "No shooting, safe zone" I was approached and told to "shut up"

And in another point the iaa members made it there business to distance themselves from other players.

I know im not the only one that was unhappy with there actions, but since pepole wanted to know what happened im putting it out here so no more pm's please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

1 When a number of the younger players went over to the group of IAA members, and were then told to FCUK OFF by IAA members.

This was done by me ane me only at some ungodly hour after i was in a foul mood given that the fire had to be put out due to all the messing that was going on. We were given permission to have a small private party with those who occupied the tents surrounding my BBQ and including Martins invite for a burger. So this had nothing to do with the IAA members but rather myself and the others occupants of the tents. I might add that i only told people to leave in this manner after they refused to leave when told prior to my shouting.
    2 Around 2 some returned to the campfire as some IAA members had returned also, then one of them went into martin to tell him, he the returned and kicked over the fire, this is something martin would not have told him to do when you consider how close it was to tents.

No IAA Committee members (i preume you are implying committee here) had returned to the fire after it was origninally put out. While respecting the site owner Martins wishes that we leave the fire to die i informed him that it had once again gathered a crowd. He wanted ppl back to the tents and the fire left alone.

Admittedly and i spoke to Martin about this, kicking the fire over was not the correct way to do it but since people would not go back to their tents i felt it the only course of action. I apologised to Martin for this already, but not to the people who should not have been at the fire in the first place.
    3 Discharging of pistols in the camp at 3 in the morning, when i shouted at them "No shooting, safe zone" I was approached and told to "shut up"
    This has nothing to do with my apology as i was not involved as this is frankly off-topic.
    And in another point the iaa members made it there business to distance themselves from other players.
    What is the point in even saying this?
    This was a personal apology for my reaction to a bad situation nothing further.

• Advertisement

Can i just reiterate that this thread is not a vent for issues, which i have a lot of, but rather an apology to those who felt hard done by with my rant.
    If it goes off topic im gonna report those posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

So this is all that went wrong, Come on its not like someone took an ammo bag ;) Nothing worth falling out over. An apology has been offered, it can either be accepted or rejected but that should be an end to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

The late night discharge was an accident with a device that had no bb's in it. It was mine.

I dropped my pistol which I didnt know was still in it's holster because I was readjusting my belt. I picked it up by the trigger by mistake and it discharged.

That was my bad and the pistol was put away afterwards.

I apologised to Martin in the morning about it when I realised that it had happened.

It was stupid and I should have made sure my kit was off and safely stowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Spetzcong

I missed out on the Gathering so I'm not really in a position to make much of a comment here, but I have to say my interest was raised when this topic was alluded to in the other thread.

I'd just like to say that it takes a big man to apologise especially in such a public fashion as this so unless there's something else, more serious than a bit of bad language and a little bit of bad tempered behaviour at a late hour, after a hard day and presumably after the consumption of a bit of alcohol then I think those offended should accept the apology being offered them and move on.

All in all the weekend seems to have been a massive success and a great step forward for the Irish airsoft community, that's what people should take away from the weekend, not sour grapes about being shouted at a campfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Thank god I went straight to sleep :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

i went over to the IAA small group before the fire was called off and before half 1 and before anyone was told the fire was off and was told my kdouglas and someone who i didnt know that they were trying to keep the fire small so i asked should i leave and was told no , just dont bring anymore people over which was fair and i didnt but a few minutes later a few people trickled over including blay who stood beside me and conor looked at him and goes "FCUK OFF" he then looked at me and said " and you can fcuk off too" at which point blay had walked away and evolute said "no he can stay hes cool", i left a few minutes later anyway,now quite frankly a community liason officer , on or off duty should not be speaking to any member of the community or the public in that manner at any given time,

now when i left i went back to the original fire which people hadnt been told to leave yet and i sat beside 2 members of the jackals who mentioned their seats were cold and lifted them up facing the fire to warm them, now they were in no way too close to the flames that they would melt or burn or anything and conor came over and said to them right lads, youve ruined it for everyone else, the fires going out
    at this point most people went to their tents and i was stood outside mine with gatling and aidan and a few others whos names escape me.martin came over and asked us to use less torches because people were living in the house which was grand. and a while later TWO of the people from the IAA group were at the fire so we went back to it, a few minutes later i went to my tent and heard conor saying right lads the rules havent changed and about 5 or 10 minutes later blay came into the tent and told me the fire had been kicked over

now DO NOT get me wrong, i am not blaming the IAA as a whole(infact i have a very high opinion of some of the comittee members) but considering conors position it has strongly turned me off handing in my application form for the forseeable future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭NMC

Spetzcong wrote: »
    I missed out on the Gathering so I'm not really in a position to make much of a comment here, but I have to say my interest was raised when this topic was alluded to in the other thread.

I'd just like to say that it takes a big man to apologise especially in such a public fashion as this so unless there's something else, more serious than a bit of bad language and a little bit of bad tempered behaviour at a late hour, after a hard day and presumably after the consumption of a bit of alcohol then I think those offended should accept the apology being offered them and move on.

All in all the weekend seems to have been a massive success and a great step forward for the Irish airsoft community, that's what people should take away from the weekend, not sour grapes about being shouted at a campfire.

Have to agree here. although i was in bed(if you can count freezing to death in what felt like minus 5 as being in bed) the apology was offered, its up to the people that were involved/offended to accept/reject it. The weekends success and fun overall is what should be remembered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭nonex

let he or she, you has never ****ed up in there live so far, post the next post.
    i will say no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭silver haze

98 members, is this really a a true representatiove body for airsoft in ireland

Ok so you dont accept my apology for my actions and thats your choice.
    weeder wrote: »
    i went over to the IAA small group
    I yet again resent the IAA part of this statement.
    You came over to a bunch of tents which 3 Committee members and 4 non IAA Committee members were camped at. There were at least 10 ppl there of which a max of 4 of the committee were at so saying IAA is in unaccurate.
    before the fire was called off and before half 1 and before anyone was told the fire was off and was told my kdouglas and someone who i didnt know that they were trying to keep the fire small
    This was not a fire but a BBQ which i touched on already.
    I actually light it when Martin announced to the Camp Fire that it would be put out at 1.30.
    so i asked should i leave and was told no , just dont bring anymore people over which was fair and i didnt but a few minutes later a few people trickled over including blay who stood beside me and conor looked at him and goes "F**K OFF" he then looked at me and said " and you can fcuk off too" at which point blay had walked away
    Again my actions were wrong but we only wanted those 6 people who owned the tents at those tents. You guys were asked to leave and when more people turned up i told them all to leave.
    and evolute said "no he can stay hes cool", i left a few minutes later anyway,
    He was not one the 6 and was asked to leave too.
    now quite frankly a community liason officer , on or off duty should not be speaking to any member of the community or the public in that manner at any given time,
    That is precisely why i started this thread.
    now when i left i went back to the original fire which people hadnt been told to leave yet and i sat beside 2 members of the jackals who mentioned their seats were cold and lifted them up facing the fire to warm them, now they were in no way too close to the flames that they would melt or burn or anything and conor came over and said to them right lads, youve ruined it for everyone else, the fires going out
    The fire was to be put out at 1:30 AM. This was decided at around 12:30 so the moving of these chairs had nothing to do with it. The immaturity around the fire was the cause.
    and a while later TWO of the people from the IAA group were at the fire so we went back to it,
    Again i wish you could clairfy this.
    The IAA Group?? None of the Committee members went back over as we were told that the fire was off at 1:30 and we respected it as such.
    Nobody should have gone back over after this point and the fact that you did proves my point on people not respecting the site owners wishes.
    a few minutes later i went to my tent and heard conor saying right lads the rules havent changed
    Again you have pointed out that i was merely pointing out that you guys had broken the site owners rules. Why i have no idea.
    now DO NOT get me wrong, i am not blaming the IAA as a whole(infact i have a very high opinion of some of the comittee members) but considering conors position it has strongly turned me off handing in my application form for the forseeable future

If this is how you feel about the issue then im sorry that we have lost a possible member.
    nonex wrote: »
    let he or she, you has never ****ed up in there live so far, post the next post.
    i will say no more.
    Thnx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

Is that it? This is what all the bruhaha is about?
    Kids, the guys from the IAA worked bloody hard (credit where credit is due) and were enjoying some downtime.
    And all of this stuff about "community liason officer"? You want 24/7 service. I suggest you start paying for it. Other than that I would ask that you take a second to realize that this was their weekend as much as yours.

And for whatever reason none of us need that kind of hassle.
    So please, let it go.

Oh, and Ronan? - Get a 1911. It's harder to shoot yourself in the foot with.:D

Thanks Connor for the apology.

Have you anything to contributed besides snide comments and digs at people? Where you even at this event?

Considering that membership in the IAA is not legally mandated, and it's less than a year old, and the members are from all over the country, and if you ask three Irish people the time you get 4 answers.

Yes. I do believe it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

nonex wrote: »
    i will say no more.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

You really are just a sad joke at this stage. No positive contribution to Airsoft at all and just crud posted here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

Dr_Pepper wrote: »

He was not one the 6 and was asked to leave too.

well i recall you saying that anyone who didnt have a tent nearby would be told to fcuk off when he said "well my tents wayy over there" and you said he was an exception which is fair enough but being asked to leave is one thing and being told to fcuk off is another

Let me just say in closing to Blay (since i dont knwo your real name) i apologise for telling you and weeder to leave our group of tents in the fashion that i did.
    I was furious with how people were acting and you got the bad end of the stick.
    well i recall you saying that anyone who didnt have a tent nearby would be told to fcuk off
    You heard this but didnt leave?
    but being asked to leave is one thing and being told to fcuk off is another
    Given that you heard me say it was gonna happen i cant see how you are pissed at the action which followed.

With that the relevant parties have been apologised and this thread has served its purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭silver haze

gandalf wrote: »
    You really are just a sad joke at this stage. No positive contribution to Airsoft at all and just crud posted here.

yeah will i used to bother contributing but after witnessing the extremely narrow minded cliquiness that exists here i gave up, now i couldnt be arsed anymore, you dont get this sh1t on arnies, canadaairsoft, airsoftforums or any of the other informative and helpful forums that are out there.

the op and iaa have their ownd dedicated forums, i believe there would be a far more appropriate place to start threads such as this.

yeah will i used to bother contributing but after witnessing the extremely narrow minded cliquiness that exists here i gave up, now i couldnt be arsed anymore, you dont get this sh1t on arnies, canadaairsoft, airsoftforums or any of the other informative and helpful forums that are out there.

All excellent forums, why don't you go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I think there are legitimate grievances here actually, regardless of drink and stress, I dont think any such actions deserve the old, he apologised get over it shite.

Now by the sounds of it, bad form was shown, drink was blamed, and apologies were offered.

I hope this is not ignored now, any player that steps forward and forwards their experience of dealing with the iaa in an honest and objective manner, should be thanked for their feedback rather than shot down with the he apologised shit.

Now I like connor, hes a nice guy, but it sounds like it was a stressful situation to deal with, when we were in such debt to the maxforces for such a great event, to seem to be shitting all over that good will, it is likely to lose the temper.

I do not agree with the fuck off comments etc. but can we look at this as a learning experience, not one in which pro iaa and anti iaa flame each other, drowning out legitimate grievances that deserve to be heard, and acted on accordingly.

I believe connors apology is very sincere, I believe the negative experiences by some players are equally sincere, and I also believe, it is extremely important to hear all of these negative experiences, and learn from them.

An apology has been offered, some blame has been awarded to stress and alcohol, and some further feedback has been given on the matter, and I believe all feedback should be allowed to continue, as it can be learned from.

I take issue with some players attempting to silence these issues from the start, allow the people with an issue with behaviour after dark to come forward, and lets all learn and benefit from this please, and avoid a pathetic stab at the iaa as a whole also.

the iaa have their ownd dedicated forums, i believe there would be a far more appropriate place to start threads such as this.

This is not ann IAA announcement but a personal apology to those at the Gathering. This is where the Gathering started and since those mainly effected are not members of the IAA why would i use the IAA forums to convey this apology?

Ahh this is pointless. I knew some people could not seperate what an individual does and who he works for but such is life.
    Requesting Thread Lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

gandalf wrote: »
    +1, Gandalf. Were you there? This has nothing to do with the IAA, and I say this as a non-member.
    Dr_Pepper wrote: »
    Ok so you dont accept my apology for my actions and thats your choice.

Thnx

Conor, I think you've reached out above and beyond any personal diligence in apologising. You couldn't offer more if you bled for this. I thought you were nothing but decent the whole weekend, and I'd ask for this thread to be locked if I was you.
    well i recall you saying that anyone who didnt have a tent nearby would be told to fcuk off when he said "well my tents wayy over there" and you said he was an exception which is fair enough but being asked to leave is one thing and being told to fcuk off is another

To Weeder and all the the 'complainants': Guys, come on. Conor has apologised, I don't even think he needed to but he has, and yis are still hopping on him. Would you put this much energy into anything else? Really doubt it. Let's leave it, huh? +1 for what vtec said.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

the op and iaa have their ownd dedicated forums, i believe there would be a far more appropriate place to start threads such as this.

So you've never witnessed someone getting absolutely torn apart on arnies eh? Happens enough ....

And trying to compare this forum and the IAA forum to arnies/canadaairsoft, etc. is intellectual dishonesty of the highest proportions. For reasons that I probably shouldn't need to point out they're. That. Obvious.

But regardless, Conor has given his side of things and offered apologies. The question is now whether or not you want to move on or not for whatever reasons you choose to follow.

Apologise on a private forum nobody reads.
    Great idea.

Have you ever considered politics as a carreer choice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Motosam wrote: »
    I think there are legitimate grievances here actually, regardless of drink and stress, I dont think any such actions deserve the old, he apologised get over it shite.

Now by the sounds of it, bad form was shown, drink was blamed, and apologies were offered.

I hope this is not ignored now, any player that steps forward and forwards their experience of dealing with the iaa in an honest and objective manner, should be thanked for their feedback rather than shot down with the he apologised shit.

Now I like connor, hes a nice guy, but it sounds like it was a stressful situation to deal with, when we were in such debt to the maxforces for such a great event, to seem to be shitting all over that good will, it is likely to lose the temper.

I do not agree with the fuck off comments etc. but can we look at this as a learning experience, not one in which pro iaa and anti iaa flame each other, drowning out legitimate grievances that deserve to be heard, and acted on accordingly.

I believe connors apology is very sincere, I believe the negative experiences by some players are equally sincere, and I also believe, it is extremely important to hear all of these negative experiences, and learn from them.

An apology has been offered, some blame has been awarded to stress and alcohol, and some further feedback has been given on the matter, and I believe all feedback should be allowed to continue, as it can be learned from.

I take issue with some players attempting to silence these issues from the start, allow the people with an issue with behaviour after dark to come forward, and lets all learn and benefit from this please, and avoid a pathetic stab at the iaa as a whole also.

Great post:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement