Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Water Swimming (Brrrrr)

Options
  • 28-04-2008 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I intend taking part in a couple of sprint triathlons this year and, having spent the past four months building up my distance in the pool from a near-drowning 20m to a reasonably comfortable 800-1000m, I thought it was time to get some open water experience.

So I bought a wet suit last week and headed down to Seapoint at the weekend with a few nerves as my open water swimming experience was limited to a few metres of breast-stoke at the beach.

I was expecting the water to be cold but I wasn't prepared for just how cold it was.

My body was fine but my hands and feet felt like they were being slashed repeatedly with blades. Fortunately, after a couple of minutes they either adjusted or went numb - but they no longer bothered me much.

My problem was the cold water on my face. Being a cautious chap I had a neoprene cap and thought that I'd be ok with that. But I had to get out after a few minutes because of the intense pain in my face from the cold. I got back in again for another few minutes and went through the same pain again and had to get out once more.

So after that long-winded introduction, to the questions :

Is this facial pain something that I can expect to lessen if I were to go for a cold-water swim two or three times a week? Or do I simply have to grit my (chattering) teeth and put up with it for the duration of the swim?

Of the two races I'm entered in, one is a river swim and one is a sea swim. I understand that the sea temperatures will rise a few degrees over the next number of months. What kind of temperatures can I expect in the river?

Regards,

Liam

PS On a positive note, I was also un-prepared for just how much buoyancy you get from a tri wetsuit and how much easier I found rolling and breathing. A nice surprise!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

You'll be surprised how quickly you can harden up to the cold. I only took up open water swimming two years ago and before that it'd be hard to get me into cold water for any amount of time.

Remember the sea water is still pretty cold at this time of year - and should warm a bit in the next two months.

Annecdotally I hear rivers and lakes can be that bit colder - My only experience of river swimming lately was the Liffey Swim last September and i didn't find it any colder from the sea. Lakes differ depending on the water going into them, depth, and how the sun heats them.

Funny - I was trying out a tri wetsuit for the first time (as i plan on doign a few tris this year) Saturday and found the extra buyoancy a little hard to get used to compared to wetsuitless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Covenline

How much is the wet suit? it seems a major expense with the triathlon really. I see them on the net for 300- 400 euro

but ive also seen surfing wet suits in the outdoor adventure shop near jervis centre in dublin for 80 quid.

Whats the difference? if i can get away with the 80 euro one Ill use that. not rolling in dough

just went into the shop, its a G Force 3mm,
    http://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/product_reviews_info.php?products_id=114&reviews_id=220

what do you reckon? is it any use for a sprint tri?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Killgore Trout, thanks for the encouraging words. I'm going to try and get an OW swim in twice a week for the next 5 weeks. That should toughen me up a bit. Incidentally, I too found the extra buoyancy a little off-putting initially but the realisation that I didn't have to work at not sinking gave me a big confidence boost.

Covenline, a surfing wetsuit is designed for surfing. A tri wetsuit is designed for swimming. There is additional buoyancy in the suit specifically positioned to help keep your body in a horizontal position in the water. Also, the exterior of the suit is very slick to reduce drag. I already have a wetsuit for kayaking but it wouldn't be suitable to swimming. You could hire a wetsuit if you're not prepared to buy an suit outright. (And, in answer to your question, mine was €280)

Regards,

Liam

From my experience of swimming in a surf/watersports wetsuit compared to a tri wetsuit : the tri wetsuit is vastly better - a caveat being that I'm only on my first tri-suit since Saturday.

Watersports wetsuits have a more robust construction for durability - getting on and off a surfboars, kayaks etc would wreck a tri wetsuit. The tri wetsuit is designed for flexibility and ease of movement.

I bought this:
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=19931

€280 minus 10% loyalty card discount. I don't really mind paying the money as I enjoy swimming in the sea all year round and will get use from it in the winter to increase my time in the water.

• Advertisement

Liam

you got there before me on tri wetsuits vs others

Repeat dips will help. Just watch if you're going in the evenings as they can be that bit cooler when you get out - sometimes in the depths of winter the worst part is getting dressed. bring a thermos with you for a hot drink if you find you're shivering when you get out.

I find my ears hurt from the cold water - so I use moldable earplugs to keep the water out. A bit of vaseline helps the armpits nose and mouth and any other bits that might sting or chaff after swimming. Keep a big tub in the bag.
    liamo wrote: »
    Killgore Trout, thanks for the encouraging words. I'm going to try and get an OW swim in twice a week for the next 5 weeks. That should toughen me up a bit. Incidentally, I too found the extra buoyancy a little off-putting initially but the realisation that I didn't have to work at not sinking gave me a big confidence boost.

Covenline, a surfing wetsuit is designed for surfing. A tri wetsuit is designed for swimming. There is additional buoyancy in the suit specifically positioned to help keep your body in a horizontal position in the water. Also, the exterior of the suit is very slick to reduce drag. I already have a wetsuit for kayaking but it wouldn't be suitable to swimming. You could hire a wetsuit if you're not prepared to buy an suit outright. (And, in answer to your question, mine was €280)

Regards,

Liam

I emailed irishfit.ie and they recomended Aquasphere, winter wetsuit for 130 euros. cheap and affordable :)

http://irishfit.ie/menswetsuits.html

that's a good price. If it doesn't fit will they exchange - do you get to try it on before you buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

You will be very cold in a 1.5mm unless you are used to open water swimming imo

I surf all year round and still freeze in winter in my 5mm wetsuit (although it is almost impossible to swim in)

You will be very cold in a 1.5mm unless you are used to open water swimming imo

I surf all year round and still freeze in winter in my 5mm wetsuit (although it is almost impossible to swim in)

Surfing is a different kettle of fish - I can get in without a wetsuit to swim any time of the year, but i wouldn't surf without a wetsuit.

With surfing's on the board rather than in the water action the wind makes you chilly - and with the stop-start nature seems to make it easier to loose heat. With swimming you just get down and get into a rhythm and keep going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

On water temperatures....
    During the height of summer, sea will be more or less the same as lakes and rivers, but during the winter, the sea can be a degree or two warmer, some lakes and rivers in Ireland do get savagely cold during the winter, with temperatures in the 3-4 degree range, compared to the 9-12 that the sea usually hovers around. On another note, the Irish sea is actually a good bit colder than the Atlantic most of the time. The river temperature depends on where the river is, and how it is fed. If its the Shannon for instance, You'll be looking at 13-15 degrees at the height of the summer. for which a 3mm wetsuit will do nicely if you're swimming hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I watched a guy swim for 4 hours in his togs in the sea last weekend. Insane.

OP, if there are specific spots on your head that get very cold, vaseline can help. Also a second swim cap or one of these trisports_1998_11415507
    might be useful.

This time of year (even more than other times of the year) it is a really good idea to make sure someone is with you swimming. Hypothermia can set in and you wouldn't realise it. Shivering is actually good, it's when you get beyond that and can't shiver you need to really worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Swam in a 60m outdoor unroped swimming pool today in my wetsuit for the first time. Just wanted to say like Liamo what a cool thing swimming in a wetsuit is! My legs felt like they were out of the water I was so buoyant and I barely needed to use my legs saving on the lungs.

Water was 12-14c and my body and head were fine. My feet got very cold after a while but no major discomfort. First time I've done something like that so unless Liamo went swimming in colder water I'm pleasantly surprised at how warm the suit kept me.

My biggest surprise was I found breathing was somewhat more difficult until I warmed up properly. I found with my face in the water, altho not uncomfortable, I was gasping initially and it was leaving me breathless. Also noted that I needed to rotate a bit more to grab clean air due to the choppiness of the water.

Still, valuable lessons learnt and I'll be going back. There is a proper pond/lake that allows swimming there as well so I'll go in that later on to get a proper open water feeling. (I'm in London btw).

EDIT: Just also wanted to say how a cap really made a difference as well. I was told that just like out of the water alot of your body heat leeches out through your head so the cap is vital.

Oh, and another weird point. I found after the first couple of lengths I suffered very very very minor dizziness when I stood up although that went away.

Fair play to ya, I've just ordered me a new suit. Can't wait to get out into the lake with it

I'm planning to head to Sandycove in Cork tonight for my first cold swim of the year.

well I got in last night and it was lovely. Then again, I was in a wetsuit! All this sunshine really puts a smile on my face. Corkonians, tell me it's going to be non-stop sunshine until September????

Tried out my new aquasphere suit yesterday evening in the lake. Forgot about how cold it was gonna be on my ears and sinus. Suit worked like a charm, little tight around the neck, But I don't think its gonna be a problem. Did about 400m then couldn't stand the ear ache any longer. gonna get me some wax earpulgs i think. At least I can go every day now......in theory:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Seeing as I started the thread, I thought an update might be in order.

I've been in the water four times since my first outing, the most recent being this evening at Seapoint. Perhaps it was particularly cold that first day but I haven't felt the same discomfort since.

I spent about 35 minutes in the water this evening and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I will probably go down again on Wednesday and am looking forward to it immensely.

Regards,

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kevin7

So which is better to stave off the cold? Those neoprene caps or a regular silicone cap? Or how about both?

I tried out a swim in the sea at the weekend and found the face and forhead pain unbearable. I didnt stick at it very long to see if the pain would go away in a few minutes. I'll be doing my first (half) tri in Athy in a river in a few weeks, and this cold has me really worried!

The neoprene hats do give a lot of warmth. Some other tips are
    1. splash water on your face before you dive it.
    2. If you get really bad "ice-cream" head, roll over on your back and backstroke for a while (not so useful in a race) but it helps in training.

The water temperatures are rising reasonably fast this time of year. we were out in 8C in Oysterhaven three weeks ago. Now it's a balmy 12C.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭agrajag

on a related note, are there many places in dublin where you can get a decent swim regardless of what stage the tide is at? i'm close to seapoint, but I'm not keen on walking half a mile before i'm at swimming depth :)

i seem to remember there being round the clock (so to speak) swimming in fourty foot?

btw, getting back to the OP's point, I'm always stunned at the difference in water temps between the east & west coasts! I've often swam and surfed in Lahinch for hours in high summer: you'd be cold by the end of it, but not facing-falling-off cold :)

Someone had a thermometer in Sandycove last night. Ranged from 9.5 to 11.5 C. One of the swimmers was in the water for 7 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Managed to swim all about the West coast of Ireland last week in my wetsuit.

Swam in Waterville, Inch, Lahinch and Galway bay. Coldest was Waterville. Genuinely couldn't take the cold feet, hands and face.

Swimming in a wetsuit in the sea is a complete joke tho. The added buoyancy lets you fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

God....just ordered a wetsuit and was really looking forward to doing my first OW swim....until I read this thread....aghhhh!!!!

Can anyone recomend safe/clean OW locations in Cork? (Southside)

places in cork that people swim include
    Iniscarra damn
    Sandcove, Kinsale
    Lee fields
    Cushkinny, Cobh
    Water is lovely in Cork now. 14 in both sea and Lee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Danka honey...will give them a go...!

Good idea would be to contact a guy called Ned Denison, he will put you in contact will loads of swimmers and locations. It's always better to swim in a group for safety reasons, and because in a group, someone is always going to have biscuits in their car afterwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

agrajag wrote: »
    on a related note, are there many places in dublin where you can get a decent swim regardless of what stage the tide is at? i'm close to seapoint, but I'm not keen on walking half a mile before i'm at swimming depth :)

i seem to remember there being round the clock (so to speak) swimming in fourty foot?

Is there anywhere decent on the northside like this?

Advertisement