Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puggles

Options
  • 28-04-2008 9:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hey- does anyone know anywhere in Ireland that breeds Puggles?
    Looking for a small short haired house dog (other than a jackrussell)
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

With all due respect, giving a dog a fancy name doesn't make it any more special than a cross-breed that you can find in a shelter or animal rescue - and certainly doesn't give anyone the right to charge crazy amounts for one of these either.

Your local shelter and pounds will be full to the brim with small dogs, which you can test-run and see which one would suit your lifestyle. If you're just looking for a small house-companion, there is absolutely no need to pay a breeder, and you'll also be helping to save a dog's life.

http://www.irishanimals.ie/dublin_homes.html

Just my two cents.

www.paws.ie
    www.irishanimals.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 EPDD

ERRMMM I think you read my question wrong!!!. Basically I want a small short haired dog and I knew someone that had a puggle and there temperament meets me and my lifestyle which consists of the gym/training and sleeping.

I am not shows or dog politics etcetc so the name means nothing to me-it was . I don’t want to ‘test run’ a dog, I could not take a dog from a pound only to give it back. That unsettles the dog/pup and me -its not fair on the dog. (would u adopt a child and givin him back )
    I opted for a puggle because I am familiar with the x breed. I DO NOT want to adopt a dog or a pup only to find out its temperament or personality does not fit mine. Obviously with cross breeds dogs can vary anyway.

Sorry, im always afraid to post on boards – you post a simple question and you always get an opinion.
    Cheers
    Thanks alot

EPDD wrote: »
    Looking for a small short haired house dog (other than a jackrussell)
    Thanks

This is what you asked, and I did my best to help you with that.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

When considering taking any crossbreed you must remember that you do not know which breed traits the dog is likely to inherit. You say that you are thinking of a puggle because you knew someone with one and that means you know what their temperament is like. Unfortunately, there is a chance that you might get one that has inherited quite different traits to the one you knew.

If you want to be certain what you are getting in the way of a dog you might be better advised to do a lot of research on different breeds and pick one that sounds like what you are looking for. There are many choices out there - wikipaedia is a great tool for starting your research in this line, followed by visits to breeders to meet different dogs when you have narrowed the search.

I think it's a great idea to go for a breed that you know what the temperament will be like. I just thought I'd warn you that any crossbreed, even the fancy ones, will not be consistent in the output as you might expect. I understand that dogs from a shelter do not suit everybody either, especially if you feel you really need to know what you are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

ERRMMM I think you read my question wrong!!!. Basically I want a small short haired dog and I knew someone that had a puggle and there temperament meets me and my lifestyle which consists of the gym/training and sleeping.

I opted for a puggle because I am familiar with the x breed. I DO NOT want to adopt a dog or a pup only to find out its temperament or personality does not fit mine. Obviously with cross breeds dogs can vary anyway
    When considering taking any crossbreed you must remember that you do not know which breed traits the dog is likely to inherit. You say that you are thinking of a puggle because you knew someone with one and that means you know what their temperament is like. Unfortunately, there is a chance that you might get one that has inherited quite different traits to the one you knew.

If you want to be certain what you are getting in the way of a dog you might be better advised to do a lot of research on different breeds and pick one that sounds like what you are looking for. There are many choices out there - wikipaedia is a great tool for starting your research in this line, followed by visits to breeders to meet different dogs when you have narrowed the search.

I think it's a great idea to go for a breed that you know what the temperament will be like. I just thought I'd warn you that any crossbreed, even the fancy ones, will not be consistent in the output as you might expect. I understand that dogs from a shelter do not suit everybody either, especially if you feel you really need to know what you are getting.

eerrrmmm .... rubbish

The individual character of any dog is just that ...individual.

This is not a cake recipe where you take 20 grams of dog x, 100 grams of dog y, bake for to hours on gas mark 5 and out pops the perfect dog for your lifestyle.

Just because one dog of a crertain breed (cross or pure) displays certain character traits does not mean that all dogs of that breed will be the same.

All they are guaranteed to do is look similar, that's it.

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    eerrrmmm .... rubbish

The individual character of any dog is just that ...individual.

This is not a cake recipe where you take 20 grams of dog x, 100 grams of dog y, bake for to hours on gas mark 5 and out pops the perfect dog for your lifestyle.

Just because one dog of a crertain breed (cross or pure) displays certain character traits does not mean that all dogs of that breed will be the same.

All they are guaranteed to do is look similar, that's it.

+1 - which is why it can be beneficial to pop to a rescue, meet a few dogs, take them for a walk, see how they get on with you and your family, meet them again - then decide if you'd like to take him or her home. What you see is what you get.

Sorry not rubbish.

Certain breeds can be expected to behave in particular ways. Obviously there are going to be differences in personality. But in general terms there are particular behaviours that will be more associated with one breed than another.

The OP has stated that they are interested in Puggles because they feel they know what they are like. Well some Puggle will take after the Pug side and be very laid back and low energy, while other Puggles may take more from the Beagle side and have heaps of energy.

It most certainly is one of the things that people should take into account when people they are choosing the breed of dog that will suit them best. For instance unless you have loads of time for excersing your dog you should not get something like a labrador that will have lots of energy.

Carwash – thanks a lot, that’s the info I was looking for!
    I did a bit of research on puggles and noticed one barley looked like the next (both size and looks), so was just going to ask a breeder how much they vary. But by the sound of it and what your saying they could vary a lot… The problem is all dogs ive had have been big dogs, ridgebacks, bullmastiffs etc so am not familiar with the range of small dogs and breeds.

To me its more about the temperament/nature and your right that’s my reason for opting to a breeder not to the shelter, to have more assurance that I know what im getting… Ill check out wikipaedia and d more research.. Ideally id like a miniature bullmastiff, awesome temperaments , but I don’t think they come in miniatures !!and my yard is to small to have one.

Thanks for your help

Sorry not rubbish.

Oh yes, it is :D

Behaviour is not genetic. Any parents who have two or more children can testify to that.

Sorry couldn’t disagree more, i grew up in Australisia. We were surrounded by dogs growing up, every house had them. We had a few different dogs of the same breed at different stages of my life and the characteristics were similar, obviously depending how they were bought up there nature differed. Ie. Cairn Terriers were active/playful and required a lot of attn, mastiffs were more docile but still had the spark , nothing to do with size either there are some big breeds that are as playful/active as the little dogs.
    Same with most animals, ie horses, thoroughbreds are more feisty, Clydesdale = strong but are more docile

• Advertisement

Cant compare human behaviour to dogs… Humans are an a lot more developed species for one. As I said theres an element to how the dog has been bought up that determines its character… same with kids… that’s one of the reasons id prefer a pup not a dog, youd know him inside out and raise him/her yourself.

Anyway thanks for your help, Carwash gave me the answer I wanted. Cheers

Sorry couldn’t disagree more, i grew up in Australisia. We were surrounded by dogs growing up, every house had them. We had a few different dogs of the same breed at different stages of my life and the characteristics were similar, obviously depending how they were bought up there nature differed. Ie. Cairn Terriers were active/playful and required a lot of attn, mastiffs were more docile but still had the spark , nothing to do with size either there are some big breeds that are as playful/active as the little dogs.

yes, yes ...in general a terrier type dog will be more lively and feisty than a large molosser type ...that's understood.

But how exactly does, for example, a Norfolk terrier differ from a Norwich terrier on behaviour? And what separates the two of those closely related breeds from a Cairn terrier?

Nothing that you can put your finger on ...that's what :D

Things like energy levels and other traits that breeds have been developed for hundreds years specifically for these particular traits. I'm not talking about individual personality.

If somebody wants to know that their dog won't be too high energy then they might go for a pug or king charles or similarly placid breed. If they are not too specifically worried about energy levels or don't have a particular dog in mind then they will hopefully go to their local rescue and pick a dog from there. If they want. The looks of a dog are not a good reason for picking a breed of dog, the breed traits are. That's why they call them breed traits.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Why pay a lot of money out for what is nothing more than a crossbreed .

• Registered Users Posts: 13 IMsOgr8

I think its just how you raise and train a dog although the character trait of a breed is maybe a good guide for someone who knows nothing about dogs. Its like saying English toffee noses are different to the American toffee noses you just dont know until you actually meet one :p
    As for paying out the nose for a cross breed what do you think a flippin pedigree started out as its just a new way to bring new strains which is what breeders have been doing for years.I dont see what the problem is :rolleyes: As for puggles they are so cute i just googled them ahhhhh:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

no reputable breeder will be breeding mongrels, so if you buy one, you'll more than likely be getting one from a puppy farm or some backyard-breeder cashing in on this latest craze.

the difference between developing a new dog breed and a "designer dog" is that the real breed took decades to develop, a designer dog is just a regular mongrel like you can find in any pound or rescue except it has been given a fancy name by some eejit "breeder"

if you want a small housedog, I'm sure you'll find one in any shelter or rescue.

have you tried www.irishanimals.ie and http://petsireland.invisionzone.com ?

as for rescue dogs have uncertain temperament, all of the good rescues assess the dogs temperament before they rehome them, they would never give you a dog that had "issues" without making sure you knew everything.

the majority of dogs needing homes have been dumped for no fault of there own, some idiots just throw dogs out like rubbish when a new baby arrives or even if they buy a new suite of furniture or new carpet! so don't assume that a rescue dog has been dumped because it has temperament problems or something.

Looks like EPDD has already got her dog - 2 days after posting this. From a reputable breeder I'm sure :rolleyes:

For me the price has nothing to do with them being a pedigree. I don’t show dogs so have no interest in them being a purebred or not. For me it was the characteristics and nature. And TBH as long as I got the right dog price was not an object (and no I don’t have cash to throw around), I was going to pay the same price for a mastiff not cos he was a purebred because I like there nature.

Anyway, found a breeder, got one, love him hes everything I wanted. If I got a random crossbred I wouldn’t know what theyd be like, because puggles are a common cross bred I have a vague idea what there like (still a bit of a gamble)

And thanks IMsOgr8 my points exactly
    Yep I got him ,cant take him anywhere tho without him getting his pic taken…I don’t like the attn, but he does! - real pple dogs, but i read that b4 i got him

Glowing wrote: »
    Looks like EPDD has already got her dog - 2 days after posting this. From a reputable breeder I'm sure :rolleyes:

definitely :rolleyes:

I'd rather take a "gamble" with a rescue pup (even though a dog is what you make it and it's not much to do with their breeding) and not line the pockets of an unscrupulous "breeder"

• Advertisement

Just took a ‘slight’ gamble, from reading up on them general charactoristics were the same. And it worked out he is what pple/articles said he was.
    I wanted a pup cos I wanted to raise him as me own as IMsOgr8 said
    its just how you raise and train a dog although the character trait of a breed is maybe a good guide’’
    And its hard to retrain a full grown dog!! Im sure the shelters have pups to tho aint questioning that

I just got one Q.. just with the rescue pups. Don’t shot me cos I do want to know this out of interest not to debate etc..
    If a breeder had a litter of pups and one was left, then everybody miraculously had been convinced to go to the pound/shelter.. what would happen to that one pup, I doubt the breeder would keep him? If a breeder cant sell the pups what do they do with them?

why are these designer dogs?. ive seen that everywhere. i think a dog is only a designer dog if u make it one, dress it in a coat and fancy haircut and collar.
    so im sticking clear of coats and diamond collars ;)

crap cos theere off a phone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I think most "pure bred" dogs for the ring are designer dogs! Any dog not bred specifically to work or just to have as a pet regardless of how it looks would be considered a "designer dog" by some people I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Was actually talking about this a while ago, I would love to get one of these....lovely pictures! that said though, whatever about grown animals, there's not really such a thing as a puppy that isn't cute!

a designer dog (not sure how they got that name but anyway) is all these "new breeds" and "teacups" etc. i.e. a bunch of backyard-breeders cashing in on this new trend and breeding even more puppies to add to the overpopulation.

did you go to this "breeder's" premises?

Where the dogs health tested before they were bred?

as for the breeder not being able to sell the last pup, if they were brilliant examples of their breed like they should be (the whole point of breeding IMO is to make this litter of puppies even better than it's parents etc) then any good breeder would have a waiting list of people to take them probably even before the bitch was bred.

and there are tons of puppies in rescue and also plenty of reputable breeders.

Advertisement