Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air fresheners

Options
  • 28-04-2008 3:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

Hi, any recommendations for air fresheners suitable for use in a room with cats? Obviously sprays are out. Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Personally - I am really anti air fresheners - I think if your room is smelly - then clean it and open the windows! :D No offense meant OP!

If you are trying to get one to cover up the smell of cat litter immediately after they use the tray - what I do (after clearing the tray and opening the window) is light a scented candle for a few minutes. Don't leave a burning candle unattended obviously!!

BTW - a fire officer warned me against using those plug in air fresheners - he came across a few cases of them going on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MaryMagdalene

Bread soda, bread soda, bread soda......... :D

Dilute and put into a spray instead of air freshner and also can be used to clean cat litter and added to washing powder for cleaning smelly clothes like dog beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Hate those plug in freshners too they can over heat, those and phone adapters plugged in cause a lot of house fires.

Don't use any essential oils around cats, bread soda/bicarb same thing is a good safe deo. Mollys.ie sells scented candles that I think are safe to use around cats and dogs.

Also washing down the room with something like Trigene or a pet safe disinfectant and opening the windows wide will help. If they are indoor cats you can get window guard things so you can open the window safely without the cat escaping.

If its the litter tray that whiffs you can get scented litter liners or as said the bread soda. Or you can get those covered cat litter boxes think they have a charcole filter or summit in them. Cat food can effect the pong as well I find the tinned stuff makes them whiff like theres no tomorow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

Many thanks. The cats are with us two months now, and settled in. Made the transition from kitten food to adult food. Eight out of ten cats prefer Whiskas. Well we got the two who don't!!! They totally ignore the hard food. Gave them some soft adult food from a pouch mixed in, but Jim dropped a real stinker the other evening. Ripe it was! I figured it was the soft food. Have to try them on something else, they just ignore the Whiskas granules. Have tried starving them, but it doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

You really shouldn't starve cats, at least not for more than a few hours anyway. They have a very different make up to dogs and can get very sick if they are starved for too long. I doubt you starved them for long enough to harm them, but I just thought I'd put the warning out there.

Whiskas is a rubbish food and I don't blame the cats for not eating it. Look for a good quality food like Royal Canin or Arden Grange. Most of these foods offer a money back guarantee if your cat won't eat it. Plus Royal Canin does an Indoor food which helps reduce the smell of their faeces.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

Don't worry, didn't deliberately starve them, just left the hard food out and gave them no soft food. That's great advice about Royal Canin. Will gladly try it! Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 flamingo12

completely agree with carwash........... dry food is the only way to go .
    i have 3 cats ( 1 indoor, with 3 legs) so he's only out with supervision , i have a hooded litter tray, keeps the smell locked in all day so there's no surprizes when you come into the room, also bob martin do a litter tray freshener which helps, all my cats are on royal canin and they love it.
    would'nt give them wet food if you paid me!!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Sorry for Hi-jacking the thread, but why is it so bad to use air-freshners around cats? I have two cats and I burn oils alot and use those spray air- freshners. So should I stop?

Advertisement