Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a Samoyed

Options
  • 27-04-2008 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

I'm currently fostering a 3 yr old Samoyed, from the Dogs in Distress website.
    I know they have a 7/8 month old pup as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Hells_Belle

There's also a stunning Husky in Tip if you're interested - her name is Lakota, towards the bottom of the page, and she comes pre-trained, which is always a nice bonus:

http://www.irishanimals.ie/tipperary_homes.html

Breed standards are sort of a cross between stereotypes and ideals, like describing the perfect girlfriend or whatever. Once you have it narrowed down to a few breeds, it should really be about picking the individual dog that is right for you, because they are all very different. So all I'm saying is: don't rule out the huskies because you may find your perfect dog in that batch! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Morbid.Angel

Link as requested:

http://www.dogsindistress.org/rehoming
    or
    http://www.dogsindistress.org/node/2263#comments

He's a absolutely smashing dog, full of character, great with the kids, and really full of life. He's good natured, lively, gentle and very engaging. I can't say enough good things about this dog, and if he's representative of the breed, they deserve much better press.

• Advertisement

Ah no ... you're taking me up wrong ... when I say "better press" I meant "better recognition". Really, everyone should know just how good these dogs are. I had rarely seen a Samoyed before, and I knew nothing about the breed.

Now I'm going to be bashing the ears off anyone who'll listen, about my admittedly limited experiences with this one.

Sorry, I should have been clearer in my post. Better press == better recognition. You are right to read up on them, and I'm sure all the articles and expert advice will be positive. I just can't believe these dogs aren't more popular.

btw ... Blackie is the one we are fostering, 3 yr old male. I don't know anything about the pup. If you want to know more, I would suggest contacting Suzie at the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Hells_Belle

Morbid, as you've sorted out by now, picking a dog is a really personal thing and people have all kinds of methods and preferences for how they go about it.

Me, you couldn't pay me to take or foster a puppy. I can't cope with the potty training and the every two hours, every three hours, every four hours routine long enough not to slaughter myself, the pup and anyone else within reach. Plus, I find re-homing dogs to be tremendously rewarding.

Other people really want that puppy experience, though, so of course you should do what works best for you. But maybe do pop to the shelter and see how it grabs you - you may be surprised :)

Advertisement