Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Induction kits on a diesel!?

Options
  • 27-04-2008 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

just wondering if anyone has any experiance of putting an induction kit on a diesel, as i was considering this: http://www.potn.co.uk/p1505023.htm
    for my 1.9 tdi passat. (I know the link is for an A4, but its the same setup and part number for that as the passat)

A couple of questions...

I know that on a petrol car that these make a sweet sound on acceleration... but what effect will it have on my car, more diesel roar?? :p

Anyone notice their car being peppier after fitting it? I'd be interested in the slight increace of power and economy that these boast (apart from looking pretty cool ;)).

Are they hard to fit? I'd be aiming at fitting myself, I'm not bad with cars and do my own servicing apart from major stuff.

So are they a good idea, or a waste of time and money.

Cheers for any help,

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Easy to fit, neglible performance difference. I would go for an engine remap if you want better performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

K&N panel filter replacement and a remap will get the best results.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Don't waste your money on that thing,your car already has a very efficient cold air intake system,buy a K&N panel filter and replace your OEM filter,plus go for a remap too.

Cold air intakes like that work best on high performance N/A petrol cars,you wont see any performance gain worth noting on a turbo diesel or petrol car,i had a K&N panel filter and remap in my golf,30bhp gain from remap zero BHP gain from filter..however it did without a doubt free up the revs a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Cheers lads, i might just go with a K&N drop in filter.

I had a feeling the standard air intake was probably hard to improve on!

Thanks

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dish

If you want a little more noise! I suggest the Straight pipe option. I have one on my Bora! Sweet noise! Plus you get the little whistle when u lft off the accelerator!:D

• Advertisement

I'm just curious about this but by straight pipe do you mean the induction kit?

Sweet noise? Like increaced turbo whistle etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dish

No its not an induction kit! Its a matter of cutting open your exhaust and taking the wire mesh like stuff out of it.

Once you put the accelerator down and the turbo spools up, change gear and it makes a like powwww noise if you get me? Try using youtube or something for an example of it!
    It sounds like a dumpvalve but its not as nosey if you get me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Don't do that. You'll sound like a sap.

Sean_K wrote: »
    Don't do that. You'll sound like a sap.
    I am inclined to agree sean.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

do you mean turbo chatter?
    what bhp is this passat? the higher the bhp the higher youre gains from a remap will be, and Ive never heard of someone regretting one.............and if youre dead set on getting performance an uprated clutch and flywheel would be good not totally neccesary though

• Advertisement

Shes a 90 bhp woop, a remap does seem like the best option alright, I know it still wont be a rocket or anything after a remap but I would like the "flat spots" gone if you know what i mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

sure whatever you want.....youll see a bit of a difference but it wont be great if I was you and I wasnt attached to the car Id sell up and buy the higher engined one but then again each to his own;) plus you mighnt get it insured but where theres a will theres a way

get on to vagdrivers.net mate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

as a fellow diesel driver (passat 130) who is into modified cars, i checked this out ages ago. Induction kits are a big no no for tdi engines, particularly the pd ones. It will ruin your maf (mass air flow sensor i believe from memory), which will kick your car into safe mode, which is like towing 50 cars behind ya!
    go for the remap though by all means, a friend has his 90bhp passat remapped to 130 by a previous owner, and its the dogs danglies! Im thinking of getting mine done, should get 170 bhp out of it..mmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CPG

you will get a better performance increase from a full service with good oil etc,
    go for a panel K&N, and a remap, but make sure your engine/turbo is in good enough condition to take the remap.

Those cone filters just suck in heat from the engine bay and you end up losing performance.

Advertisement