Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What scope for a .308?

Options
  • 27-04-2008 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

My brother is looking to buy a scope for his new .308 rifle (Remington 700 VLS). He is thinking of a BSA Platinum 8 - 32 x 44 Target Matte MIL DOT (€178 from opticswarehouse.co.uk) or a Hawke Target 10-40x50 AO (€229 from opticswarehouse.co.uk). What do you think? He want to shoot out to 600yards plus and does want to break the bank (€300 is his max.). Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Seamus357 wrote: »
    My brother is looking to buy a scope for his new .308 rifle (Remington 700 VLS). He is thinking of a BSA Platinum 8 - 32 x 44 Target Matte MIL DOT (€178 from opticswarehouse.co.uk) or a Hawke Target 10-40x50 AO (€229 from opticswarehouse.co.uk). What do you think? He want to shoot out to 600yards plus and does want to break the bank (€300 is his max.). Any advice?

you had better be aware of the elevation required to shoot long range with a 308, its not as simple a strapping on a scope and away you go, depending on the range you wish to shoot at and the bullet your going to use and the scope you buy, you may need to use a tapered rail .
    to shoot to 1000 yards with a 308 you will need approx 41 moa elevation,
    which means your scope will need at least double that to get you on target...do your homework first ...in my opinion long range shooting demands high end scopes

check out the elevation in some scopes and post it on this thread,if you know what bullet weight your planning to use
    ill calculate the distance the scope should theoretically take you out to if you wish..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭SpringerF

Would you do a calculation for me please.

.308 150grain with 39MOA

SpringerF wrote: »
    Would you do a calculation for me please.

.308 150grain with 39MOA

approx 875 yards with a 200 yard zero.

im making certain assumptions here muzzle velocity and b/c etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Nicholas

Hi seamus,
    I would not buy either of the scopes mentioned, unless you wish to purchase another one the following year, they are basically rubbish and should only be used for fishing weights. What I can say is, it is always worth while spending money on a decent scope, you can always but it on your new rifle in the future, and most probably hand it down to your son or daughter. The one which I would recommend are
    1. Schmitt & Bender
    2. zeiss

The type of money you could expect to spend would be E400- 2500
      All of these scopes will last along time, and you vary well might be able to pick one up second hand, I would call

Island Sports Ltd.
      Mr. John O'Malley
      Keel Achill
      County Mayo
      09843 125 tel
      09843 333 fax
      jomalley@tinet.ie

Good luck
      Nicholas

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Seamus357

I think the likes of Leica, Leupold, Schmidt & Bender and Zeiss are brillant scopes but they are all way outside of my brothers budget. Personally I don't think second hand is a good idea. You have no way of knowing the history of the scope.

How do you rate the following brands: BSA, Bushnell, Nikon, Pentax, Simmons, Swift, Tasco, Weaver.

And what about the Swift 8-32x50 Mill Dot?
    I couldn't find the elevation but these are the details:
    Power: 8-32x50mm
    Field of view @ 1000 yds: 13ft @ 8x, 4ft @ 32x
    Lens coating: Fully Multi-coated
    MOA: 1/4 in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

Swift have got some very bad reviews here in the past!
    Best not buy any of the cheaper ones and save for a decent one!

Swift have got some very bad reviews here in the past!
    Best not buy any of the cheaper ones and save for a decent one!

yes and they get some bad reviews over in the US forums too..its hard to advise on this one...maybe a reasonably priced mill dot scope to get you going and learn to use the system for longer ranges ,then gather the money for a high quality target scope...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,043 ✭✭✭clivej

Seamus357 wrote: »
    I think the likes of Leica, Leupold, Schmidt & Bender and Zeiss are brillant scopes but they are all way outside of my brothers budget. Personally I don't think second hand is a good idea. You have no way of knowing the history of the scope.

How do you rate the following..........................

You can get some very good brand name scopes second hand for good money. Best not to dismiss second hand out of hand, you may be able to meet up with a seller to look over the S/H scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Lads, would I be right in saying that there is a lifetime warranty on Schmidt and Bender scopes, which is transferable i.e. if the scope is sold 2nd hand it still has a S and B factory warranty,

Jonty wrote: »
    Lads, would I be right in saying that there is a lifetime warranty on Schmidt and Bender scopes, which is transferable i.e. if the scope is sold 2nd hand it still has a S and B factory warranty,
    yeah something along those lines, theres a 30 year service warranty, not sure if its transferrable , but im guessing it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

My Leupold 6-24x50 has a life time warranty, if thats any help

Advertisement