Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

File Transfer speed on Infrastructure - Very slow

Options
  • 27-04-2008 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have a wireless network setup using an Eircom Netopia router
    There is one desktop and 2 or 3 laptops on it and all works fine
    The thing is, when I transfer say from one pc to another, it seems very slow
    I assume this is because its in Infrastructure mode and the file is sent from pc to router and then from router to other PC??? Is this correct? If so, how can I speed it up to have direct transfer from one to the other?

The problem arose when I plugged a laptop into my TV and tried to stream video from my desktop. It keeps buffering and goes out of sync etc but surely as the 2 pc's are in rooms right next to each other, it should be more than capable of playing without buffering?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Wireless wouldn't be as fast as a wired connection. a 54Mbps wireless connection will max out at less than 20Mbps, compared to 100Mbps or 1000Mbps of a wired connection. That's assuming ideal conditions, interference, other traffic, etc will all reduce this.

You can try updating the drivers and firmware on the devices, make sure you're operating in G mode and not mixed. But if you want the best throughput speed, go wired.

Advertisement