Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I just quit?

Options
  • 27-04-2008 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, hopefully someone can give me advice. I really cannot say too much about my line of work, as it's quite specific, but I work 1:1 with someone. Recently things have beeing getting a bit manic, I have been asked questions which seek to provoke nasty answers, I have been shouted at, and asked to leave a room for having said something that the other person doesn'y like. (These things I have said for the record are not offensive but literally something that the other person doesnt want to hear, for example, and this is a bad one, "What am I supposed to do about not being able to understand this essay question?" Answer: "Maybe you could try email your supervisor and he might be able to advise you"...basically random questions that if I dont give the expected answer)

This is extremely hard to explain as I need to protect my line of work. BUt things reached a head this weekend. Im worn down at being shouted at, and being guilt tripped if I need a day off, a week or two later. Ive spoken to my boss who has been really great and has agreed to address these issues with the person. Which will cause hell. I am due to work with this person the day after the meeting and I am terrfied that I have been physically sick.

I already handed in my notice(Ive done this job a year) for the end of May, but if things get totally unbearable, if the abuse and manipulation conitinues, have I any rights if I at the end of the day say I'm not comng back tomorrow. Im sorry but I cannot work with you any more.
    I hope this makes sense somewhat and someone can advise.

The work is classed as emotional labour. I just want out, I cannot last another month especially since I will get the end of the anger next week after the meeting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Sorry to hear this story. I think that you may be able to claim constructive dismissal as a reason for leaving before your notice period. But, and i really really stress this point, please do not take this advice from me, but rather ask your union, go to a free legal advice centre, or contact the National Employment Rights Authority http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/ for better information.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'd suggest contacting the Department of Enterprise, Trade & Employment & asking them for advice. This is bullying, plain & simple. There is legislation to protect you from bullying in the workplace - see here.
    Contact details here.

Contact these guys & see what advice they can give you.

Best of luck OP!

Advertisement