Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pushing Daisies on RTE

Options
  • 27-04-2008 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

In its typical let's-not-tell-anyone manner, RTE listings show Pushing Daisies starting Monday 28th at.... midnight (of course! What other time would you put a primetime US show).

I saw the first episode on UTV at my parents place and it was obvious that UTV butchered it so sod them. Apart from that irritating habit RTE have picked up of ending films with "The End" on credit roll, I haven't seen RTE edit anything so RTE + a VCR is the way to watch this program...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

carveone wrote: »
    In its typical let's-not-tell-anyone manner, RTE listings show Pushing Daisies starting Monday 28th at.... midnight (of course! What other time would you put a primetime US show).

I saw the first episode on UTV at my parents place and it was obvious that UTV butchered it so sod them. Apart from that irritating habit RTE have picked up of ending films with "The End" on credit roll, I haven't seen RTE edit anything so RTE + a VCR is the way to watch this program...

I've never heard of it before...What's it about? Is it really worth watching, taped or otherwise ? Could you relate it to any other programme on tv at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

its an overly sweet little mundane comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭carveone

RuggieBear wrote: »

One way to put it I guess. I haven't watched more than one episode but other boardsies seemed to like it judging from some of the fury vented over UTVs slicing and dicing of the show. Essentially this guy can bring recently dead people back to life for a short period of time... Narration is rather "Amelie" styled (assuming you've seen that film). That style has been heavily copied in adverts in recent time too though...

One way to put it I guess. I haven't watched more than one episode but other boardsies seemed to like it judging from some of the fury vented over UTVs slicing and dicing of the show. Essentially this guy can bring recently dead people back to life for a short period of time... Narration is rather "Amelie" styled (assuming you've seen that film). That style has been heavily copied in adverts in recent time too though...

Cheers :) For curiosity purposes now i might just stay up and watch it tommorrow night ...

Were there adverts about it? Can't say i've seen any (never even heard of it before)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Typical rte, they did the exact same with Damages.

I saw half an episode on utv and it looked interesting, I might watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Its a good show, glad its on irish TV but ye the timing is ****e

What a really strange programme ... "1st touch LIFE, 2nd touch DEAD again!" ...

'Only Prince Charming can know what he is thinking right now' and 'Only Sleeping Beauty can know what she is thinking right now' ... :rolleyes: I think these quotes serve your attached quote perfectly :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

It's bizarrely addictive. I love the commentary, and the blonde from Wicked is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Full_Circle

Wheels wrote: »
    It's bizarrely addictive. I love the commentary, and the blonde from Wicked is fantastic.

She was in Wicked? I did not know that! I guess that explains her musical number in one of the episodes :D

I've seen all the show already but happened to flick it on last night and was pleasantly surprised to see that RTE were showing it in proper widescreen :eek: Or perhaps this was mearly a mistake on their part :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Wheels wrote: »
    It's bizarrely addictive. I love the commentary...

Yeah i know exactly what you mean...I was going to watch Standoff on TV3 but stayed with this until it ended (incase i actualy missed something! , considering first episode and all) and yeah addictive-might just tune again next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 burgoyne172

watched a few episodes on utv typically of rte to show something at that time which wouldnt be a rating winner like reaper which i like compare 1 program i enjoy is smallville but it is at a ridiculous time sick of repeats on friday & saturdays on rte

I've seen all the show already but happened to flick it on last night and was pleasantly surprised to see that RTE were showing it in proper widescreen :eek: Or perhaps this was mearly a mistake on their part :rolleyes:

Possibly a mistake given that they didn't broadcast the "Ok, this is a widescreen program" signal which makes my TV switch. I spent 10 mins wondering why on earth everyone looked so strange until I copped on! Looked good in full widescreen.

There was a lot more content on RTE than UTV. I counted about 10 scenes on the RTE showing that were not on UTV including every appearance of the "plastic bag with smiley face on it", the whole conversation with the dead guy who'd gotten chewed by a dog, and lots of other commentry like "I thought masturbation meant chewing your food"! Last time I saw UTV was in the 80s and I see it still sucks.

Conor.

Is this going to be a weekly programme or bi-weekly, does anyone know? I'd imagine that their is only one series but roughly how many episodes are their in the series?

PS: I hope they continue with the widescreen

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Is this going to be a weekly programme or bi-weekly, does anyone know? I'd imagine that their is only one series but roughly how many episodes are their in the series?

PS: I hope they continue with the widescreen

As soon as RTE notices that their service has improved I'm sure that'll be corrected :o There were 9 episodes in season 1 instead of the planned 22 due to the US writers strike. I believe that's all that currently exists so my guess is that RTE will simply show one after the other for the next 8 weeks.

As soon as RTE notices that their service has improved I'm sure that'll be corrected :o

:D yeah! I think that you're probably right with that
    ...There were 9 episodes in season 1 instead of the planned 22 due to the US writers strike. I believe that's all that currently exists so my guess is that RTE will simply show one after the other for the next 8 weeks.

another 8weeks ... still not entirely sure what to make of it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Full_Circle

There was a lot more content on RTE than UTV. I counted about 10 scenes on the RTE showing that were not on UTV including every appearance of the "plastic bag with smiley face on it", the whole conversation with the dead guy who'd gotten chewed by a dog, and lots of other commentry like "I thought masturbation meant chewing your food"! Last time I saw UTV was in the 80s and I see it still sucks.

Conor.

UTV cut parts of the show? I cant believe it! :eek: Its such harmless fluff, what could people possibly object to?! And surely the scene where he talks to the dead guy was kinda important!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭BAZM8

UTV cut parts of the show? I cant believe it! :eek: Its such harmless fluff, what could people possibly object to?! And surely the scene where he talks to the dead guy was kinda important!! :rolleyes:

I was watching episode 3 on UTV last sat night and I just thought it was really badly edited. Maybe they are cutting bits out it for additional ad breaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

UTV went from episode 1 straight to episode 3!!!!!

They dont have enough weeks in their schedule to fit the season in before the European Championships so cut an episode. :confused:

this programme is seriously growing on me ... as the weeks go on it's becoming some-what addictive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I like it, am disappointed that there are only 9 episodes, but at least there will be more. I love the Amelie-esqueness of it (well some of it probably more like that director's older films). At first I thought it was just the odd little reference, but the whole world is Amelie style, which may put some people off, but I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭ScruffySlayer

Are you sure it's being edited on UTV? It goes out at nine pm, I don't see why the would, I really hope they aren't I've been following the show weekly on UTV. RTE are such tools for scheduling this when they did. If they waited this would have been a great summer series in the Lost or DH slot.

Does anyone know if it's repeated? I missed out on tonights episode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ciara93

Well im guessing everyone knows about the season 2 of pushing daises. but i was wondering if anybody knows when/if it is starting on RTE?! If anyone does know i would be very greatful you let me know!

Peace!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ciara93 wrote: »
    Well im guessing everyone knows about the season 2 of pushing daises. but i was wondering if anybody knows when/if it is starting on RTE?! If anyone does know i would be very greatful you let me know!

Peace!:D
    Season 2 will apparently be premiering in the States on October 1st, so I'd be suprised it RTÉ had before the start of 2009 (at the earliest).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭TvWatcher

you can watch their new season promo here www.rte.ie/tv/newseason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 desirable6

Does anyone know when we're gonna get 2see da 3episodes from series 2 of Pushing Daisies, I'm so annoyed that ABC have cut it, it's so unfair!!:mad: I wonder is there a petition or anythin we could sign.......?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

ABC said that we'll see them in 2009 but have no dates.

Advertisement