Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 people bitten by rabid dog.

Options
  • 26-04-2008 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭

A social worker who runs a charity that brings street dogs from Sri Lanka into the UK was one of three people bitten by a puppy infected with rabies.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7368456.stm
    How did this happen in quarantee?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Is there a cure for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Is there a cure for this?
    i dont really know to be honest,id presume there must be a vaccination for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Meirleach

There is a vaccine for rabies, but no cure as far as I'm aware. If a person is bitten who isn't vaccinated, the wound can be cleaned and the vaccine administered pretty damn quickly afterwards, of course I'm simplifying the procedure just a bit ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If symptoms develop it is too late, there is no cure and it is fatal within 72 hours.

If the vaccine is given in time the outlook is much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Medical assistance should be obtained as soon as possible after an exposure. There have been no vaccine failures in the United States (i.e., someone developed rabies) when postexposure prophylaxis (PEP) was given promptly and appropriately after an exposure.

One of the most effective methods to decrease the chances for infection involves thorough washing of the wound with soap and water. Specific medical attention for someone exposed to rabies is called postexposure prophylaxis or PEP. In the United States, postexposure prophylaxis consists of a regimen of one dose of immune globulin and five doses of rabies vaccine over a 28-day period. Rabies immune globulin and the first dose of rabies vaccine should be given by your health care provider as soon as possible after exposure. Additional doses or rabies vaccine should be given on days 3, 7, 14, and 28 after the first vaccination. Current vaccines are relatively painless and are given in your arm, like a flu or tetanus vaccine.

Also, another interesting tidbit of info:

If I get preexposure vaccination before I travel, am I protected if I am bitten?

No. Preexposure prophylaxis is given for several reasons. First, although preexposure vaccination does not eliminate the need for additional therapy after a rabies exposure, it simplifies therapy by eliminating the need for human rabies immune globulin (HRIG) and decreasing the number of doses needed – a point of particular importance for persons at high risk of being exposed to rabies in areas where immunizing products may not be readily available. Second, it may protect persons whose postexposure therapy might be delayed. Finally, it may provide partial protection to persons with inapparent exposures to rabies.

source: http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/qanda/general.html#h3

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »
    If symptoms develop it is too late, there is no cure and it is fatal within 72 hours.

If the vaccine is given in time the outlook is much better.
    Can we die from no cure?Fatal!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

First few times I was in Lebanon we were always told that if we were biten we'd to shoot the animal and bring both the animal plus ourselves in for testing, needless to say there was plenty of shot aggressive dogs.

Reason I post this is the fear of god was put into us about the 'cure' (vaccine) being so harsh.

I think we all get very complacent in this country about rabies and don't realise the real which which exists in country with an incidence of it.

But really, bringing street dogs from Sri Lanka to the UK - why?. (as much as I love dogs I can't see any good reason for this).

But really, bringing street dogs from Sri Lanka to the UK - why?. (as much as I love dogs I can't see any good reason for this)
    I feel the same too.Why i wonder,Did Sri Lanka allow this to happen or Uk made a mistake :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

davey180 wrote: »
    Can we die from no cure?Fatal!:eek:
    After a typical human infection by bite, the virus enters the peripheral nervous system. It then travels along the nerves towards the central nervous system. During this phase, the virus cannot be easily detected within the host, and vaccination may still confer cell-mediated immunity to prevent symptomatic rabies. Once the virus reaches the brain, it rapidly causes encephalitis. This is called the "prodromal" phase. At this time, treatment is useless. Then symptoms appear. Rabies may also inflame the spinal cord producing myelitis.

The period between infection and the first flu-like symptoms is normally two to twelve weeks, but can be as long as two years. Soon after, the symptoms expand to slight or partial paralysis, cerebral dysfunction, anxiety, insomnia, confusion, agitation, abnormal behaviour, paranoia, terror, hallucinations, progressing to delirium. The production of large quantities of saliva and tears coupled with an inability to speak or swallow are typical during the later stages of the disease; this can result in "hydrophobia", where the victim has difficulty swallowing because the throat and jaw become slowly paralysed, shows panic when presented with liquids to drink, and cannot quench his or her thirst. The disease itself was also once commonly known as hydrophobia, from this characteristic symptom. The patient "foams at the mouth" because they cannot swallow their own saliva for days and it gathers in the mouth until it overflows.

Death almost invariably results two to ten days after the first symptoms; the few humans who are known to have survived the disease were all left with severe brain damage, with the recent exception of Jeanna Giese. It is neurotrophic in nature.
    A horrible way to die. :eek:

hence i know its stupid thing to say A zombie Type of effect?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

How come that dogs from other countries are going to the uk.I lived in the uk for many many years and have a friend who works in a dog pound there and has for many years .I also have friends who did rescue work in the uk and the pound was always full and dogs not claimed in seven days where often put to sleep as the stray /unwanted dog /cat problem was overflowing.Also my neice works over in the uk and took a dog in off some undesirables and couldnt get him in a rescue as the problem is bad over there .So what happens to the dogs in the uk that need homes .Believe me there are many of them .

Advertisement