Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet shop selling dyed fish (Dump)

Options
  • 26-04-2008 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭

This shop continues to stock Dyed Fish despite the overwhelming majority of fishkeepers being against them. Today they had dyed Parrotfish and the last time i was there they had dyed tetras.

It is a dump and I call on anyone that gives them any custom (Be it fish related or not) to boycott them.

They also sell puppies and have them locked in small enclosures from one end of the day to another. They have sawdust spread on the floor of the enclosures so it is obvious that the dogs are going to the toilet in them. Absolute cruelty to leave a dog in such an enclosure without any human contact at all. The dogs are drinking water out of bowls that are covered in sawdust. Are petshops even allowed to sell puppies?

BOYCOTT THEM PLEASE.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

if ye are not happy with the pet shop imo call the spca about it and they might help or take photos while no ones looking to prove the state of the pet shop.Im not sure about selling pup in the pet shops as i thought that was old hat these days.Ive been to a load of boot sales(sorry for the change of subject) and the traders have been arrested for selling dog out of card board boxes loads of times and im not sure the same applies to shops.Id presume these pups in the shops are mongrels?Imo i think its wrong and as for the dyeing of fish is wrong too!(illegal id say?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 da-mahon-don

no dogs allowed to be sold in petshop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Can you back this up please? AFAIK there are no laws prohibiting the sale of dogs in petshops.

There may be ethical considerations involved but I doubt there are any legal issues.

EDIT: Please do not mention specific establishments due to legal reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

This thread makes no sense now due to your edit. You might as well delete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Why don't you edit your original post and tell people how to judge if a shop is selling dyed fish? I'm sure there are other shops selling them and if people knew how to tell they could boycott them all.

• Advertisement

Why don't you edit your original post and tell people how to judge if a shop is selling dyed fish? I'm sure there are other shops selling them and if people knew how to tell they could boycott them all.
    Yes why don't you give pointers on recognising dyed fish?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Sorry, that's what I meant to say just didn't say it very well.

No bother. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

In today’s hobby a debate is never too far away among experienced aquarists. A subject that is repeatedly debated is dyed fish, albeit that it is not really a debate but more often an all round condemnation of the practice.

I will outline to you what the process involves and let you make up your own mind.

What are dyed fish?
    Dyed fish are aquarium fish that have been unnaturally dyed with an artificial colour to make them look more appealing to the buyer. Commonly they include Corydoras, Glassfish, Parrotfish, Tetras, Gouramis and some other large cichlids. In Ireland the most commonly available are Dyed Parrotfish, Glassfish and Tetras.

How are they dyed?
    The process of dyeing the fish is vastly contested however there are 3 common practices known in the hobby:
    Injection of dyes using a syringe/hypodermic needle.
    Tattooing of the fish using a laser.
    Dipping of fish in a caustic dyed solution.
    N.B Fish can be fed colour enhancing food and can also be genetically modified to produce new colour strains.

Why are many aquarists against the practice?
    This practice is condemned by many in the hobby as it is felt that it is unnecessary, cruel, leads the fish prone to illness and infection and the high mortality rate due to the method of dyeing.

Illnesses associated to dyed fish:
    Being dyed is a stressful and painful process for the fish. Depending on the process used it can lead to open wounds being left on the body of the fish. Dirty needles being used on multiple fish considerably adds to the risk of disease or infection. These diseases are known to spread quicker and easier in an already weakened fish.

Mortality of dyed fish:
    The mortality rate of dyed fish is another contested issue. I will not type any random high percentage figure but I will say that the process itself undoubtedly kills many fish and the associated illness from the process would lead us to believe that the mortality rate is very high.

The Injection Method
    This article is focussed mainly on the injection method as this is the most common dyeing process.

Disco Fish first entered the hobby in the 1980’s. The fish keeping public were unaware how a glassfish (Parambassis ranga) could have so many different colours. It was apparent that they had been artificially coloured.

Dr Stan MacMahon and Dr Peter Burgess set about finding out. They sedated some glassfish and examined the areas where the dye had been applied. Under a microscope they found that the dye was not merely painted on the outside of the fish but it was under the epidermis. Given the location of the dyes and the patterns involved it lead them to believe that the fish must have been injected a number of times to achieve the end result. Considering the relative size of an epidermic needle to such a small fish and coupled with the increasing scientific evidence that fish can indeed feel pain it must be a terrible experience for the fish.

Who is dyeing the fish and why?
    The fish are generally imported from large fish farms in Southeast Asia. They are still widely available. They are dyed purely because of supply and demand. There is clearly a market for them as shops knowingly/unknowingly buy them in and sell them on for high prices all over the world.
    What can we do about this practice?

Simply do not buy dyed fish. If you are in a shop that sells them, approach the manager and ask them not to stock them. Refuse to give the shop any of your business until they stop selling dyed fish.

Name and shame them, word of mouth is a strong thing. Let people know who is stocking dyed fish. Shame them into not selling them.

Here is a link to a few pictures

http://www.canadiangoldfish.com/dyed.htm

Just type "Dyed Fish" or "Dyed Parrotfish" into Google and you will see what they look like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

There is a new pet shop near me that sells dyed African Clawed Frogs. It's disgraceful...

• Advertisement

LovelyTom wrote: »
    There is a new pet shop near me that sells dyed African Clawed Frogs. It's disgraceful...
    42833_medium.jpg

i found this on google.Do you mean these type of frog?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I was in a petshop today in Carlow (beside woodies) who sold rabbits. On one of the enclosures there was a sign telling you about the rabbit in the enclosure, and one underneath it telling you about the guinea pig in the enclosure. I did not see the guinea pig, there was only the rabbit, but I got the impression that there must have been one in there, otherwise, why the sign. I think I remember someone here saying that they should not be kept together. Is this true? The girl who was cleaning them out at the time was a trainee vet (she answered a question about my mams sick rabbit and mentioned it) so I would imagine she would know and would complain if it was bad for either of them?

(baby rabbit are the cutest things in the world!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Rabbits and guinea pigs should never be kept together, even if they appear to get along. Rabbits kick is very powerful and can and has caused serious injuries to guineas, even if done accidently as rabbits like to jump and kick for fun. The biggest concern though is the fact rabbits carry Pasteruella a which may not have any effect on the rabbit but can be passed on to the guinea pig.

Also their diets differ, pigs eat more greens but too many greens can cause a rabbit to have the runs.

Not to mention they are 2 diff. species who communicate differently.

Most decent guinea pig/rabbit rescues in the UK will not home or house guinea pigs and rabbits together.

For more info. http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/rabbits.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

LovelyTom wrote: »

If its the new pet shop im thinking of with green and goldy/pink aquatic frogs then your wrong. these are a mix of colours produced by line breeding , much like the varieties of colours found in corn snakes for example. Please be sure before you make statements that may mislead people into believing that when they see mixed coloured frogs in a pet shop that they are dyed. Not all pet shops are evil, in fact almost all petshops do place animal welfare as a very high priority.

Jimkel wrote: »
    If its the new pet shop im thinking of with green and goldy/pink aquatic frogs then your wrong. these are a mix of colours produced by line breeding , much like the varieties of colours found in corn snakes for example. Please be sure before you make statements that may mislead people into believing that when they see mixed coloured frogs in a pet shop that they are dyed. Not all pet shops are evil, in fact almost all petshops do place animal welfare as a very high priority.
    i thought that too as i cant see that these type of frogs can be injected with dye as i had a feeling it wouldnt work.Is there such thing as dyeing these frogs?

Advertisement