Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to block a wireless user?

Options
  • 26-04-2008 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Does anyone know how i can block a wireless user from accessing the internet in my house.

I live in a house with 4 others and we have a home wireless network. I am in charge of the phone/broadband bill and one of housemates rarely ever pays his share of the bill. so i would like to be able to block his internet connection. I would like to be able to do this without him knowing. I have tried restricting his access by accessing the modem settings from my laptop. this works but he gets a msg when he opens IE saying his connection has been blocked!! Id like to be able to do it in a way that he thinks his loss of internet is not down to me. Ideally a way that when he opens IE nothing appears except the page cannot be displayed..

any help greatly appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Mac filtering.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Mac filtering will probably prevent him from accessing the wireless in the first place, so he'll know there's an issue with the wireless and not the internet.

If he's not paying the bill, secure the wireless with WPA and tell him he doesn't get the passphrase until he pays. No need to be sneaky about it. No money=no internet. Quickest way of sorting it. And if he stops paying again, change the passphrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I guess there's no actual way to do it without him knowing unless he's really dim. Just tell him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

MAC filtering is worth doing if you suspect someone else is giving him the password

Also tell the others that the price will have to go up 25% unless yer man starts paying as there are now only 4 people paying for internet instead of 5, make it clear that he is leaching off everyone not just you.

there is no point in trying to be be sneaky if he has any technical friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Time to be blunt and just block him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

How about getting the router *not* to give a IP address to his machine? Sounds wacky, but that was how I accidentally "disconnected" some of my wirelessly-enabled Macs.

Advertisement