Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 yrs male Samoyed - tips & advice please

Options
  • 25-04-2008 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭

To cut a long story short, I find myself temporarily responsible for a 2 year old male Samoyed. He's neutered, vaccinated and appears to be in fine fettle. He's playful, patient & tolerant with the kids, and seems very good natured, if a little stubborn.

I haven't cared for a dog in many years, and I know nothing about this breed.

I imagine he'll need plenty of exercise while he's with us, and he has a fair sized yard to wander in (0.3 acre). We have his food & water bowls, and a bag of dried food that he's used to.

Any tips & advice please ? How often to walk, feed, what type of food ...

I know these are basic questions - I just want to make sure he's cared for. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Whoever left the dog with you didn't leave "instructions"?

Food, depend's on what he's used to, once or twice a day ...at least with dry food you can leave it there and he can eat it later, just be careful not to overfeed. Stick with the food he's used to.

Water always fresh, always topped up and always wtihin reach (leave a bowl of it outside).

Excercise again depends on what he's used to. Big garden is nice, but he still won't excercise himself ...throw him a ball once or twice :D

Other than that, he's just a dog ..a white one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

peasant wrote: »
    Whoever left the dog with you didn't leave "instructions"?
    He's a foster dog, from Ashtown pound ... my wife fell for him. I've loads of fresh water out for him, and the dry food he's used to ... according to caresheets I've read on d'Internet, he should get 3 scoops (cups) a day, and all the water he wants.

I just don't want to make a rookie mistake with him.
    peasant wrote: »
    Other than that, he's just a dog ..a white one.

Strong though. I walked him for 90 minutes this evening, up & down the coast road. Lovely manners, big grin & happy head on him.

He really enjoyed his walk and now he's flaked out on the kitchen floor. Must post pics, when I find my camera phone.

Ahh ..if he's from the pound he'll have had little routine (except for feeding times mainly), so just fit his needs into your day as it suits best, he'll get used to it.

We feed our dogs once a day for example, but they always leave something in their bowls to help themselves later on, so basically we top up once a day.

A pound dog might not be relaxed enough yet to cope with that kind of setup and try and eat it all in one go, so I'd say twice daily is probably better.

Fair play for taking on a foster btw

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

He sounds lovely give him plenty of walks .good luck and well done on fostring him

So day five of fostering is going really well, only one small hitch.

Although I tried to maintain the same dried food as he's used to, I think the kids may have been slipping him treats, or something else has caused him to have loose, watery stools, some of which are sticking to the very white fur around his hind quarters.

I don't think it's bothering him, but it is unsightly, and I wonder if it will cause problems if I left it there. I've tried brushing off the larger clumps but the stains still remain. Is this normal enough ?

He seems in good health, and is not passing water or stool at any great rate

Not the most appetising post I've ever made, but I have to ask ... any advice ?

• Advertisement

You could bathe him / wash his behind, if he lets you.

Generally speaking, it is a good idea with long haired dogs (got two) to cut a generous "channel" into the long hairs around the anus and down between the legs. (again ..if he lets you)

After one failed attempt this evening, I recruited the father-in-law to assist.
    He held the dog by the collar, and spoke calmly and gently to him, while I got busy at the other end. :o

Washing worked a treat, and he stood still long enough for me to take a scissors to the long hairs.

As for the watery stool, I wonder if that's related to the treats - the kids have been slipping the dog quite a few marrowbone flavour chews/treats. I don't know if I should post up the brand name, but that appears to be the only possible change in his diet.

I've hidden the treats, and made sure the dry food he's used to is all that's left out for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

He's probably been through a few abrupt changes in diet - the pound probably gave him a different brand of food than the one he's used to, and maybe you're giving him a different one now to the one he was eating in the pound? Normally you'd introduce a change of food gradually. Sudden changes can cause diarrhoea. It's nothing to worry about unless he loses his appetite, seems lethargic or there's traces of blood in his poo. If the diarrhoea gets worse, I'd fast him for 24 hours and then reintroduce him to bland food such as boiled rice and plain chicken, before gradually putting him back on to the dry nuts. If you've any worries or concerns at all, you should contact your vet. Some dogs that go into foster from the pound can be incubating diseases such as parvo, so it'd be wise to monitor him closely and get professional advice if anything seems wrong.

trout wrote: »
    As for the watery stool, I wonder if that's related to the treats - the kids have been slipping the dog quite a few marrowbone flavour chews/treats

Could very well be ...most of these are pure shyte ...literally :D

Dry pasta or a bit of raw carrot makes a nice "treat" ..just don't overdo it.

Pasta (in large quantities) will constipate, whereas carrot goes right through undigested.

But neither is particularly fattening and dogs like eating it for the noise and texture.

Thanks for the advice. I'm feeding the same food as advised by the pound, which he should be used to. He certainly seems to like it, and he is in fine form otherwise. Appetite appears normal, he's taking in water, and is full of energy.

The last few movements have been more normal, and there have been no traces of blood.

I'll let it sit tomorrow, and see if the absence of marrowboney treats makes a difference.

• Advertisement

Well, I won't be buying marrowboney treats any time soon.

He devoured a carrot this evening, after his walk. Ten times cheaper and has to be better for him.

For those who can't bear to wait ... normal service has been restored, so cutting out the spurious treats certainly had a positive effect on his bowels :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Sounds like your doing a great job!

I love it, the wife falls for it and you end up washing its &rse!!

Advertisement