Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When people died of the plague

Options
  • 25-04-2008 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

What did their corpses look like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

bumpy-boily-dead-cold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I want to know if they ended up looking really white with dark blood pooled around their eyes, and if so, why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SilentNoise

I'm assuming you're referring to Bubonic Plague.

This caused swellings in the lymph nodes of the groin, neck and armpit which would have weeped blood and fluid. The infection also damaged the tissue of the skin resulting in small dark patches ranging in size. I doubt the corpse could be described as pale due to the skin markings.

Why do you want to know this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

For a fancy dress party me and a friend want to go like plague victims. Too bad they didn't have cameras in those days, it would make it alot easier! Someone told me that their blood drained into the inner body cavities, leaving them really white, with dark rings around their eyes but I can't find any confirmation of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SilentNoise

The whole pale with dark eyes is kinda a generic ghost or dead person image. If this is for a costume i'd recomend going for a medieval style of dress with red/purple blotches on the skin and bloody lumps on your necks. Also a fake rat should help to get the point of the costume across.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

This is problably over but It would help to have coughed on people alot and spill bodily fluids at random intervals during the party. random convulsions may lend authenticity to the project. You may however not be invited back. Personally I would have gone as a flagellant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you could google images of plague victims - don't post them here though !
    it's still part of life in India

but for fancy dress you want to look like the perception rather that the actuality
    monty python "bring out your dead"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs

or you could go as one of those guys with the beaks
    "black death" physician

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

When did the bubonic plague happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kreuzberger

For a fancy dress party me and a friend want to go like plague victims. Too bad they didn't have cameras in those days, it would make it alot easier! Someone told me that their blood drained into the inner body cavities, leaving them really white, with dark rings around their eyes but I can't find any confirmation of this.

severe convuslions may have had the effect of rupturing the blood vessels in the eyes . The internal haemoglobin would of course appear black . This is what generally happens to people who are shot in the head also , the resulting black eyed phenomenon being referred to as an " 8 ball haemorrage" by our American cousins .
    Its quite likely anyone with severe enough plague induced convulsions , vomitting etc pre mortis would have black eyeballs post mortem .

Advertisement