Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed Please!!.....Structural survey

Options
  • 25-04-2008 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for some opinions. Myself and partner are in the middle of buying a house ( we have paid a booking deposit) and have yet to pay the remaining deposit. We got a structural survey done and it came back with a quite a list. Basically the house is 30 years old. Our main concerns was the recommendation of having the whole house re-wired and the possibilty of woodworm in the floor boards. my question is this, are we expectated to pay for all of this work or is it up to the current owners?

How much is it to re wire a house, its a 30 year old, ex council 3 bed house.....

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

no,it means if you were 2 buy house, in the next 10 years its recommended to get it rewired,get it checked by electrician after buying for hazordous wiring, it may need woodworm treatment at some point,you pay 4 it yourself, or else look for a house with more modern wiring,you can tell by house age, or look at the sockets ,light fittings,houses need rewiring every 30years.standard 3bed cost rewiring 2500to 3000euro,depending on house size the no of rooms.
    did you really think everything in an old ex council,house would be brand new,dont 4get try central heating boiler make sure it actually works,comes on after 2minutes.if you like the area then go ahead and buy ,on a 280k house 3k repairs is 2be expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Thanks for the reply, ah yeah we knew about a few things that had to be done when viewing the house.
    We love the house and will go for it but just wondering now how much it would cost to re wire it? Some one said to me €11,000............. I hope she is wrong!!!! its a 3 bed terraced house (sitting room, kitchen and hall)1200 sqaure foot.

Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Fusion251 wrote: »
    are we expectated to pay for all of this work or is it up to the current owners?

Neither... the survey is informational, so you know what you're getting. And as (or possibly more) importantly if you're borrowing money, so the mortgage company knows what they're getting. If something comes up in the survey that they would consider makes it an unacceptable risk (e.g. it's about to fall down) they won't lend you the money to buy it.

You could chance your arm and say you'll only sign the contracts if the seller gets some or all of the work done first. In a falling market they might consider it, but they might just as easily say what you see is what you get. Depends how desperate they are to sell, and how difficult they expect finding another buyer to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Fusion251 wrote: »
    Hi,

How much is it to re wire a house, its a 30 year old, ex council 3 bed house.....

Thanks

Might be better to ask in the DIY forum but I would guesstimate €6-7k.
    Depends on what you want done really, ie just a basic rewire or dozens of recessed lights, CAT 5 cable throughout, TV and phone in all rooms,etc
    How bad is the woodworm? As was said before, these aren't massive problems and you would probably want to rewire eventually anyway to modernise the house for yourselves, even if it wasn't required.

depends on how far gone the woodworm is,is it 1 room or all over house,just ring surveyor ask him roughly how much it will cost,budget 3k 4 rewiring 900sq ft,house.if its area,d like floors ,ceilings its expensive 2 fix it.depending on bidding situation you could ask 4 a few grand off house price,sometimes its better get your offer accepted quickly be4 other bidders appear,ask your lawyer 4 advice.
    SOME repairs are 2be expected in old house.and not every1 wants to buy a new house along distance away from your job and friend,so most people end up buying an older house anyway.
    I,M NOT AN ELECTRICAL EXPERT , but i know sum1 told to rewire an old house,they never did it, its still there after ten years.
    you can get wiring tested to make sure its safe.you increase its value by rewiring.Look at similar houses in the area,to check its price value,look at daft.ie prices in the area.boards.ie ,forum diy,electrical says 2500to 3k,depending on house size for a standard rewiring , i presume that includes new consumer unit/fusebox.
    GET MORE INFO ON diy/electrical forum ,or post a query there ,it,d be hard 2 spend more than 3k.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

It will cost quite a lot more than 3000 to rewire a house. Perhaps just to get the sparks to wire might cost that much, if you were prepared to chase the walls and re-plaster afterwards yourself. Also remember if you are rewiring you are probably going to strip most everything out... so that probably means new kitchen, bathroom tiles, floors etc. Its about the messiest thing you can imagine. On the woodworm, u really need to be careful. Get a builder in to give you a quote on how much it would cost to put everything right. I would think you're talking more in the region of 20K, rather than 3k by the time everything is added up.

I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but better to have your eyes opened a little. Gutting a house, is not cheap!

rewiring is not considered gutting ,its standard practice every 30/40years,and the woodworm may be only present in a specific area.MOST old houses require repairs/upgrading of some kind,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

have you ever re-wired a house?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op a friend of mine recently got his house rewired, it had 2 sitting rooms, kitchen, hall and 3 small bedrooms. It was about 900 sq foot. His dad's brother is an electrician and did it for 2k but he got some quotes from other people and they were all around the 8k mark.

ON the electrical forum, theres posts saying 3k approx standard rewiring 4 a standard 3bed house ,im sure theres sparks that charge alot more ,thats how the market works,theres sopposed2 be competion,be sure specify where wires go ,inside walls ,underneath floors ,as opposed to over floor trunking system,which doesnt look as discreet as underfloor wiring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Thanks for the replies, just trying to get a ball park figure

It has the original fuse board in the house, so that needs to be changed but after that i'm not sure exactly........ when we get the keys we can get some quotes off a few people. but a family are living there at the moment so i presume we could muddle along with it for a few months until we get the money together, this is a expence we didn't factor in.

Advertisement