Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do...

Options
  • 25-04-2008 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

Guys I have a badly broke back tooth(second from the back on my bottom gum)

Ivebeen given 2 optiosn by dentist

1)root canal for 650euro + cap(800euro)

2) get the tooth out for 100euro

He emphasized the point that im young(early 20s) and that at that age shouldnt get my tooth out for risk of side effects(neighbour tooth falling in).

I guess im just looking for opinions, there is quiet a price diff(and i know i can claim some back with some med2 form i think??)

Id nearly get it out but i guess dont particularly want to loose a tooth.

What would most people opt for?(is the dentist just out for making more money?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Hi HBK,

I think that if I was in your situation and the money wouldnt be a problem then I would try to save the tooth. Esp at your age and the older you get the more likely it is that teeth will be lost due to old age,gum disease etc so if you can afford to save it, save it...

Root canal is not a lifetime guarantee either so in time you could end up losing the tooth anyway...

You can claim tax back on Med2 also think it goes by what rate of tax you pay afaik.

If think dentist just tryin to make money get second opinion first to see if tooth could be filled without root canal...but to be fair to dentist it would be unethical for him to say you need work done if you dont.

Suzie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

HBK wrote: »
    Guys I have a badly broke back tooth(second from the back on my bottom gum)

Ivebeen given 2 optiosn by dentist

1)root canal for 650euro + cap(800euro)

2) get the tooth out for 100euro

He emphasized the point that im young(early 20s) and that at that age shouldnt get my tooth out for risk of side effects(neighbour tooth falling in).

I guess im just looking for opinions, there is quiet a price diff(and i know i can claim some back with some med2 form i think??)

Id nearly get it out but i guess dont particularly want to loose a tooth.

What would most people opt for?(is the dentist just out for making more money?)

i have the almost the same.but for me its on the top and its the very back tooth.

basically i was told that they could rebuild the tooth which would be very expensive and painful, or they could pull it and be done with the problem.

hence on tuesday im going to get my tooth pulled :D. hate the dentist and am really not looking forward to it but id prefer that than the more expensive, more painful route

Advertisement