Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Target Shooting. Any clubs where I can try before joining?

Options
  • 25-04-2008 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi

I can't seem to find the right answer using the search function so here goes:

I'd like to purchase a small calibre rifle, .22 or .17 for the purpose of target shooting at a range only (and plan on storing the rifle there too; don't want it at home).

Can anybody recommend a suitable range, close to dublin, where I can try shooting a suitable rifle before I decide to go buy my own and pay range membership?

Thanks!
    Phil

Comments

what part of Dublin are you in?

go to:

www.rifle.tcdlife.ie and there links to most target shooting clubs around that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

People have been saying Midlands' authorisation to issue rifles to people on a day to day basis has changed recently, but a quick call should soon get you an answer on whether you'd be able to rent one there for the day. Apart from that, I'm not sure where you'd try, most places would have club guns but for members only. Best bet is to try with Midlands, try a rifle, then buy your own and join a club closer to home. Around Dublin you have Hilltop, Rathdrum, the two major Universities (if you're an alumnus of either, though UCD don't have facilities for target rifles on site, only air rifle and air pistol), Blessington Rifle Club, Dublin Rifle Club, Dublin Target Sports Club and a host of others. Plenty of others will be along presently to give thoughts on the different clubs and such as well, as well as details of those I've forgotten. What disciplines are you interested in shooting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

preilly79 wrote: »
    Hi

I can't seem to find the right answer using the search function so here goes:

I'd like to purchase a small calibre rifle, .22 or .17 for the purpose of target shooting at a range only (and plan on storing the rifle there too; don't want it at home).

I'm afraid I don't know any range that will allow you do that. It's a licencing issue you see. Even though I have a licence for my rifles, I can't have somebody else's one in my possession because I don't have a licence for it.
    Can anybody recommend a suitable range, close to dublin, where I can try shooting a suitable rifle before I decide to go buy my own and pay range membership?

Thanks!
    Phil

Most clubs will be open for a visit and a try. That's not a problem IMHO. Check out the boards wiki and get in touch with whatever club tickles your fancy. Important consideration is what type of shooting you want to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

People have been saying Midlands' authorisation to issue rifles to people on a day to day basis has changed recently, but a quick call should soon get you an answer on whether you'd be able to rent one there for the day. Apart from that, I'm not sure where you'd try, most places would have club guns but for members only. Best bet is to try with Midlands, try a rifle, then buy your own and join a club closer to home. Around Dublin you have Hilltop, Rathdrum, the two major Universities (if you're an alumnus of either, though UCD don't have facilities for target rifles on site, only air rifle and air pistol), Blessington Rifle Club, Dublin Rifle Club, Dublin Target Sports Club and a host of others. Plenty of others will be along presently to give thoughts on the different clubs and such as well, as well as details of those I've forgotten. What disciplines are you interested in shooting?

Excellent info, i appreciate the effort! I haven't been shooting before so wouldn't like to restrict my choices to a particular discipline, but quite fancy the idea of shooting long rang targets from the prone position; it seems highly technical which would be challenging (who watches Deer Hunter and doesn't want to be a sniper?!). I guess that rules out TCD where I'm a student! i think they have two very short ranges for 22 and air rifle.

I'll give some of those clubs a call and see what's possible. Again, appreciate the info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Excellent info, i appreciate the effort! I haven't been shooting before so wouldn't like to restrict my choices to a particular discipline, but quite fancy the idea of shooting long rang targets from the prone position; it seems highly technical which would be challenging (who watches Deer Hunter and doesn't want to be a sniper?!). I guess that rules out TCD where I'm a student! i think they have two very short ranges for 22 and air rifle.

I'll give some of those clubs a call and see what's possible. Again, appreciate the info!

Don't rule out TCD!!! You'll never get cheaper training or access to target rifles. The distance is not a problem because the target gets smaller... a lot smaller.

Try drilling .22 bullets (that's 5.6mm diameter) into a 12.92mm circle and you'll know all about it I assure you.

• Advertisement

DURC (TCD)

€4 membership
    €0.03 per air pellet
    €0.10 (or so) per .22 round

Cheapest .22 club in the country by many order of magnitudes.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

At the moment DURC is running the following schedule:

Tuesday & Thursday 6pm-10pm: 25yd Prone .22
    Wednesday & Friday 6pm-10pm: 10m Air Rifle

That's the usual term-time schedule. Mondays are usually a squad training night (10m Airgun in the run-up to the Intervarsities then .22 for the rest of the year) but for the first part of the first term Monday is usually a third 10m airgun night.

If you want to join, just turn up at the range (down the lane, big green door, ring the bell). The nights are split up into 30 minute details, there's a booking sheet in Front Arch on our noticeboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Definitely join the club in Trinity. It's a fantastic place to learn. It also runs 50m outdoor competitions in the right seasons. Haven't heard of any 100 yard ones, but the 50m is plenty far anyway. It would be highly recommended to learn to shoot in Trinity on the .22's. When you've that nailed, you're in a much better place to move onto full-bore at longer ranges. (If nothing else, the .22 ammo is cheap, and I wouldn't want to be paying the cost of .308 rounds to learn on, personally :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

rrpc wrote: »
    I'm afraid I don't know any range that will allow you do that. It's a licencing issue you see. Even though I have a licence for my rifles, I can't have somebody else's one in my possession because I don't have a licence for it..

Courtlough Shooting Grounds in North County Dublin offer this facility for a small yearly fee. Being registered firearms dealers based on a shooting grounds they offer secure locker storage for members firearms.

They only permit .22 caliber and the 100m range is to undergo a refurbishment soon and the 50m silhouette range is merely awaiting garda range authorisation before opening.

Give them a call on 01-8413096 or PM me and we will get you shooting! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Just moving the thread into Target Shooting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

thanks for all your help. as soon as exams are over i'll pop in to see the people in DURC. with so many recommendations it has to be good! can i assume that the club remains active throughout the summer?

being an evening student means that getting to practice during term time might be difficult.

nope. club shuts down over the summer. Sorry!

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

thanks for all your help. as soon as exams are over i'll pop in to see the people in DURC. with so many recommendations it has to be good! can i assume that the club remains active throughout the summer?

We're still active with competitions and the like, but there aren't any open club nights. You can go shooting if you can persuade two range officers to turn up and open the range. This can be hard to do as many ROs go home down the country or go abroad.
    being an evening student means that getting to practice during term time might be difficult.

Yeah, evening students do often have that trouble alright. We have had a couple of regular evening students over the years though, it is certainly possible to do, just tricky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 FowlerC

if you do join DURC, don't forget to try out air rifle too! You might be surprised at how much fun it is and how much skill is involved. It is shot at a quite short range (10 metres) but the bullseye is about the size of full stop.

Advertisement