Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless PC to PC transfer

Options
  • 25-04-2008 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

Hi all apologies if this is a really stupid question but I've got a question about file trandfer between two PC's in the same house. I currently have a Laptop which I pretty much use for everything and will be digging out my Desktop soon and will have that on the wireless network. I've got a modem and a wireless router, my question is just how easy is it to transfer from one PC to another. Do I have to purchase any additional equipment or is having the two computers computers on the wireless network all that I need. Sorry if this has already been answered but I've searched the boards site and was unable to find an answer. Thanks in advance. W:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

wireless network is all you need. If you know nothing about networking as it seems, then run the network wizard.. in fact XP has a transfer wizard that will transfer files and settings between computers.

In theory, once both computers are on the same subnet (if they both get internet they are). then you can just browse the network assuming they are on the same workgroup.
    If not, then go to start, run and type:
    \\computername
    then press ok.
    Obviously computername is whatever the name of the computer you want to connect to is.
    you will also need to right click any folders you want to share on the pc and enable file sharing so they can be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Thanks very much for your responce. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭culabula88

Can you do this without a router? i.e. is it possible to do it just with two wireless cards in two laptops?

Could it be done if two computers both had bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

yes you can do it with just two laptops either with wifi or bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

For wifi you need to set up an adhoc connection between the two machines (google will throw up guides on how to do this). And you don't want to use bluetooth to transfer files, you'll be at it for days!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭culabula88

what kind of security do you need or how do you set up laptop wireless to wireless connection exactly - when you turn on the laptops wireless will the other one automatically pick it up/

Advertisement