Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Mullins

Options
  • 25-04-2008 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

In process of selling my house in Dublin and considering relocating to Co Carlow, (or, indeed, anywhere south of Dublin!)...have just spotted lovely house in St Mullins & would welcome any input you might have. Looks beautiful, but would it be very isolated, where would nearest transport links be to Dublin, what is community like, (granny will be coming too, so hospitals, church, etc., must be accessible!) Will, of course, get into the car at some stage & check place out, but your suggestions/views would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Ive been in St Mullins a few times and yes it is a nice location. It is very isolated however, I may be wrong but it is not near any major roads, so public transport would be limited. Nearest hospital would be Kilkenny. There is a church in the village.

While Im at it....Leighlinbrige ftw!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I grew up just over the border in Wexford about 5 mins from St Mullins. The nearest towns are New Ross and Graignamanagh which are about 8 and 10 miles away each iirc (Graig might be more but Borris is closer).

There is a small community hospital in New Ross and its a sizable enough town. Its also serviced well by buses to Dublin and Waterford. (There is a train to Waterford form Dublin)

I'm not sure there is a corner shop petrol station in ST Mullins either, the nearest probably being Ballywillian just across the Wexford border or Glyn up the road towards Graig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 helenc

Thank you both so much...I have this romantic notion of living in the country, but must be practical...will keep you posted!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not to suggest county rivalry but while St Mullins is splendid spot you'd do better to consider somewhere larger like Kilmeaden area outside Waterford. Its five miles to the city and 20 mins to the WRH on the Outer ring road, direct links to Dublin etc. The village itself has 3 local shops, post office and a doctors surgery and even a Thai resturant!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭useless

St Mullins is pretty but isolated. I'd say Graigue is more like 5 miles away, Borris 6/7 and New Ross 12, but we're splitting hairs here- the point is that its a good drive to go buy a pint of milk.

There is a daily bus from Graigue and a choice of buses from Ross to Dublin.

There's a church, a school and two pubs in Glynn. I think the shop/petrol pump has closed down in the last month or so.

The place is*quiet*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Have you been down to saint mullins? Pass through it every week. Would be my ideal spot as a nice country area, not enough amenities imho! that's my 2 cents!:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

useless wrote: »
    St Mullins is pretty but isolated. I'd say Graigue is more like 5 miles away, Borris 6/7 and New Ross 12,

Yeah I haven't been around the place properly in years to remember, sure tis in the back of beyond :rolleyes:

Well Mike65! That is really spooky....I know Kilmeaden well, having spent summers down on the 'family' farm in Portlaw and travelling to the creamery in the mornings with my uncle....so Co. Waterford is definitely an option. Only problem is, having spent a girly weekend with my sister in Waterford not so long ago, THE TRAFFIC!!! Its appalling, as bad as trying to access Dublin city every day - now, to be honest, I'm not sure if its that bad all the time or just at peak hours, was looking at Dunmore East for a while, but that Dunmore Road was bedlam. Must get back to that map, is St Mullins close to Kilmeaden???

Nope! St Mullins is 20 mins from New Ross which is 20 mins from Waterford which is 5 mins from Kilmeaden so 45 mins + urban crawl time.

Mike.

:confused: Just realised the house of my dreams, (St Mullins in the "back of beyond") has 20 acres of land with it...maybe I could build a helipad, learn to fly...problem solved!!! Or else, back to the drawing board and myhome.ie.......;)

• Advertisement

Grow bio-fuel and make a mint!

Mike.

Brilliant, Mike! I would if I could but I can't so I won't!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

em, must be some house wit 20 acres of land!:O

have you thought about areas near leighlinbridge, or bagenalstown or paulstown? nice spots all near main road and not too conjested, plus ammenities all around there!

Don't know how I missed the 20 acres...must have been having a blonde moment!!! But, thank you for the suggestions, shall trawl those areas now and see what's what.... can remember driving thro' leighlinbridge en-route to waterford in the olden days & it was very pictureskew....

Advertisement