Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poilce Microchipping

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

I dont like the sounds of that, shocking. id be very surprised if it actually goes ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Unbelieveble. I actually do find it very hard to believe, Daily Mail is known to overstretch the facts a little, to put it mildly.

I don't even want to think if it's true. I wouldn't let myself get microchipped, I would rather quit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭kaizersoze1980

ojewriej wrote: »
    I wouldn't let myself get microchipped, I would rather quit.

+1

I read it again. It doesn;t actually say anywhere that the officers themselves will be micro chipped (i'e' getting an implant under the skin or something). It might mean wearing some kind of bracelet or something, only when you are on duty. It's still an issue, but it changes the whole moral premise of this story.

And leaving an important detail like that out, to make the story sound more sensational, is a typical tabloid tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

thats crazy, no need! how much would that cost?surely there are needier causes for the police?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

This isn't that big of a deal here to be honest. Our vehicles are already monitored in the control room and supervisors can see where units are on their in car data terminals....

All Met response vehicles are kitted out with an MDT, mobile data terminal, that shows your status (committed not deployable, en route, at scene, on patrol, refs etc) to the control room and shows where you are on an electronic map, which the Skippers can see on their MDTs. Similarly our airwave radios have the capability to be tracked and have the facility for the control to turn on the radio microphone at any point unknown to the user. So in theory you could be listened in on at any point, though in reality this only happens with a senior officers authority in officer safety situations. Big brother is already alive and kicking in the Met so this isn't a big surprise.

Personally I prefer the control room knowing where I am if I can't answer my radio. Officer safety value is second to none.

Here's some old info on our in-car MDT. Look here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 thebigshot

metman wrote: »
    Personally I prefer the control room knowing where I am if I can't answer my radio. Officer safety value is second to none.

What a joke. Safety, safety, safety. Catch yourself on.

Sure why not get a permanent chip in the head, it might help you sniff out criminals and people with anti government sentiments.

thebigshot wrote: »

Sure why not get a permanent chip in the head, it might help you sniff out criminals and people with anti government sentiments.

You seem to already have a chip fitted, it appears to be on your shoulder.

As regards catching myself on I don't think there's much I can learn from a paranoid armchair enthusiast Daily Mail reader.....cheers.

Yet another troll joins the forum. Get a life :rolleyes:

Indeed bigshot, you might want to tone it down. You posted an interesting article, but there is no need to be s aggressive only because someone has a different point of view than yours. Especially that metman is a serving LEO in UK, so he knows what he is talking about.

metman - do you know what exactly are they trying to launch in few weeks then? Because from what you described, Control Room can already track you using radios, so why would there be a need for some extra microchipping? And what kind of microchipping are we talking about here?

There's been no mention of this on the ground and the whole chipping of police officers is nonsense..... this story was obviously written on a very slow news day and is typical of the Mail making it up as they go along :rolleyes:

What you may see being rolled out at some point is a piece of gps kit for individual officers perhaps an attachment to the stab vest or duty belt. This would make sense as there are trials at the moment of personal issue cameras that attach to the stab vest and can be turned on and off by the officer, the idea being that say in attending a fight or a domestic the events will be videod and can be later downloaded as evidence.

• Advertisement

metman wrote: »
    This would make sense as there are trials at the moment of personal issue cameras that attach to the stab vest and can be turned on and off by the officer, the idea being that say in attending a fight or a domestic the events will be videod and can be later downloaded as evidence.

I didn't know that, but not long ago I was actually thinking that something like that would be a good idea. Even just audio, like a voice activated dictaphone The digital ones can hold enough data to cover whole shift, and are small enough not to be a nuisance on your vest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

thebigshot wrote: »

thebigshot banned for 10 days for unwarranted personal abuse.

Advertisement