Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

glamorama

Options
  • 24-04-2008 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭

i am a huge bret easton ellis fan and i just finished reading glamorama, and i absolutley loved it! i have absolutley no idea what the fcuk happened in it but that added to why i loved it, thaught i would post here to try and get a decent discussion on it!

and...................go...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Aw, that's the only one of his I've yet to read. I love Ellis too. I think American Psycho is a work of art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

loved American psycho,
    Glamorama wasn't as good in my opinion, saying that I don't rate Lunar park at all either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I loved Glamorama, American Psycho, Less Than Zero but for goodness sake don't ever read Lunar Park. It's one of the crappest books I've read. The first 50 pages are phenomenally entertaining because it's an autobiography of sorts but once the plot starts, jesus it goes really awful. I hope his next one isn't as horribly self- indulgent

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Valmont wrote: »
    I loved Glamorama, American Psycho, Less Than Zero but for goodness sake don't ever read Lunar Park. It's one of the crappest books I've read. The first 50 pages are phenomenally entertaining because it's an autobiography of sorts but once the plot starts, jesus it goes really awful. I hope his next one isn't as horribly self- indulgent

completely disagree with you there man! i thaught lunar park was great, so horribly confusing and twisting (and twisted) ive read almost all of this books now, glamorama was great as it brough in his other books too
    teh "we think shes a spy" scene in canden with sean bateman which is exactly the same in rules of attraction
    which ellis does alot but mainly in glamorama! loved it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Self-Indulgent? Ellis? Get-outta-town!! :D
    Seriously though, I liked Lunar Park. Maybe because it was the writer and not the book (Ellis is one of a kind) though. But it's like that with all writer's who have a genre to themselves. Douglas Coupland can be hit and miss at times, but I'll still lap up everything he writes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

glamorama and american psycho are the same thing, just a decade apart. society, clothes, music, violence.
    didn't bother with the others.

longshanks wrote: »
    glamorama and american psycho are the same thing, just a decade apart. society, clothes, music, violence.
    didn't bother with the others.

you should, rules of attraction is amazing, and less than zero is just were it all began, also you learn more about the books u have read by reading the ones you have yet to read......ellis is brilliant like that!

I consider Less than Zero a minimalist masterpiece, I really enjoyed it. I've never read a book that conveyed apathy so well. I'm really looking forward to the sequel in 2010!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 PmcG01

Glamorama starts as if its going to be very good, something unique. Then it just gets very very unique. And for me not in a good way.
    I think there was something good there but he just pushed it until it became silly.

did anyone notice that glamorama turned into that movie zoolander!? damn you hollywood stealing good ideas and ruining them...lets hope avery gets out of jail and makes the movie version the way it should be made!!

now whats this about a sequal to less than zero?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I liked Glamorama. I thought Ross O'Carroll-Kelly was a bit similar, and also noticed the Zoolander reference.
    I also liked American Psycho.
    I got Less Than Zero but didn't read beyond a few pages as far as I remember. The thing about a hyper-apathetic narrator is that they tend not to be terribly engaging.

pwd wrote: »
    The thing about a hyper-apathetic narrator is that they tend not to be terribly engaging.

brilliant:D:D:D:D:D:D:D I loved it though

did anyone notice that glamorama turned into that movie zoolander!? damn you hollywood stealing good ideas and ruining them...lets hope avery gets out of jail and makes the movie version the way it should be made!!

now whats this about a sequal to less than zero?!

Bret Easton Ellis is definitely working on a sequel to Less Than Zero. Wikipedia says it'll be out in 2010.

Ellis supposedly had an out of court settlement with the makers of Zoolander for completely ripping off the premise of Glamorama.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

did anyone notice that glamorama turned into that movie zoolander!?
    Ha, it really did. I enjoyed this book when I read it years ago. But even after I finished it I wasnt sure how it ended.
    What happened to Victor in the end? Did they replace him with a lookalike or something?

Ellis supposedly had an out of court settlement with the makers of Zoolander for completely ripping off the premise of Glamorama.

and so he should.....altho i needed it pointed out to me, (could be because i havent seen zoolander in YEARS and i recently re-read glamorama) the similarities are actually huge!

roger avery has the exclusive rights to make the movie version of glamorama, but i believe he already has, he made a movie version as a present to bret....i want to see that!!

Hrududu wrote: »
    Ha, it really did. I enjoyed this book when I read it years ago. But even after I finished it I wasnt sure how it ended. What happened to Victor in the end? Did they SPOILER or something?

Spoiler Alert! Some people may not have read the book Hrududu, edit your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Done, I just assumed anyone in the thread would have already read the book, sorry.

Yeah but someone might be considering reading it, you know how it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

So far Ive read Rules of attraction, American Psycho and Lunar Park. All great in my opinion. I taught Lunar Park was the most interesting book Ive read in a very long time. I can't begin to imagine how they'll recreate it as a movie.

Hrududu wrote: »
    Ha, it really did. I enjoyed this book when I read it years ago. But even after I finished it I wasnt sure how it ended

thats the joy of B.E.E. books....you never know how they end!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hsanz114clayton

"...there is an idea of a Patrick Bateman, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there."

Advertisement