Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats more popular German or french

Options
  • 24-04-2008 6:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

Whats more popular German or French for the leaving Cert

German or french 14 votes

German
    0% 0 votes
    french
    100% 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd say french,even though I do German.6 people in my german class.About 100 others in the school doing french

French.

Most definately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

French.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

7, 500 did german in '07. 27, 800 did french. found here.

Random statistic I found odd: roughly the same number of people do higher level french as higher level irish. :eek:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I do French but it's the only foreign language my school offers

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

My school offers french and german with french being the far more popular choice, not sure why though, I do german and love it yet rarely ever find a student who likes french

Hmm theres 100 in my year with 11 doing german, 65ish doing french and the rest not doing a language...

I'm guessing by the OP's name that he likes german anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

french! But the numbers for french and german our the same in our school cause we're a "practical subject" oriented school

• Registered Users Posts: 31,832 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

French. Last year 9 of 58 did German, and this year it is 6 out of 70 doing German. They are offering Spanish to the first years now though and Japanese to the seniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

About 8 do German in my year of 60, I'm guessing 40 do French, the rest either do neither or do LCA and thus I have no idea what they do. Possibly Spanish...
    For the Junior Cert we all had to do French, and you could do German as well, but I wasn't gonna do an extra language, so I dropped German.

About 8 do German in my year of 60, I'm guessing 40 do French, the rest either do neither or do LCA and thus I have no idea what they do. Possibly Spanish...
    For the Junior Cert we all had to do French, and you could do German as well, but I wasn't gonna do an extra language, so I dropped German.
    Your saying you had to do french in the junior cert, if you wanted to do german you had to do it as well as french

crazy system in your school

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Yeah.. I think they've changed it for the first years this year, it's sure taken a while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

In my yeear, there are at least 4 french classes I know about, and they are all pretty full, I'd say there's at least one more though. There are 2 Gereman classes, pass and honours, and the pass one is pretty empty andd the honours one has about 25. Everyone else does business.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭oleary91

Theres 2 German and 2 French classes in my school....Id say there is more people in the french classes though...

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

Nationally French is more popular but my school definately bucked that trend when I was in 2nd year. We had 3 A classes and 2 B's and for first year the 3 A classes did French and German and were given the choice of whether to do one or the other, both or neither for the Junior Cert. So many of us chose German they had to have 3 classes of German and they struggled to make a good sized French class. It was mainly because the French teachers were b***hes and very few people wanted to have them for 2 more years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

The thing I find crazy is the lack of schools teaching spanish considering its one of the fastest growing languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

JSK 252 wrote: »
    The thing I find crazy is the lack of schools teaching spanish considering its one of the fastest growing languages.

My school had started doing Spanish this year. In it's first year, 4 classes of Spanish, 1 apiece of French and German.

Mad.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

My school had started doing Spanish this year. In it's first year, 4 classes of Spanish, 1 apiece of French and German.

Mad.:eek:

Maybe the tides have turned!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

well, you guys actually got to choose, in my school french is a core subject like English maths Irish...so if you want to do an extra lanuage you have to do it outside..

as far as i know, in the past years
    there is one girl did Italian ( well since she is from there)
    one did Russian , he is from Latvia...so...
    and one did german, he is german but born in ireland
    , and he somehow mangaged a A2 ..:rolleyes:

ahh little effort with guaranteed Agrade..ah they are lucky =)

and two did spanish as an extra subjects, that was all really ...

~Candy~ wrote: »
    well, you guys actually got to choose, in my school french is a core subject like English maths Irish...so if you want to do an extra lanuage you have to do it outside..

as far as i know, in the past years
    there is one girl did Italian ( well since she is from there)
    one did Russian , he is from Latvia...so...
    and one did german, he is german but born in ireland
    , and he somehow mangaged a A2 ..:rolleyes:

ahh little effort with guaranteed Agrade..ah they are lucky =)

and two did spanish as an extra subjects, that was all really ...
    Ya I was looking at the results from last years russian exam, like 50% got A's or something like that, (don't quote me though), simply because the vast majority of people who do the language know the language already...

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Niamhf

French is more popular...
    I do German though and I love it...there are only 13 people in our hons. class and about 17 in the ord. class!! The rest of our year which is around 80-90 do French!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 ElectroSpex

french is by far the most popular. I do german however,and love it. In my year, theres one german class, and only 3 of us in it. No 1st,2nd,3rd, or TYs do german, my year is the last to do it. It's actually been stopped as a choice now. I don't know why, it's such a great language.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

1huge1 wrote: »
    Your saying you had to do french in the junior cert, if you wanted to do german you had to do it as well as french

crazy system in your school

same as me. French is compulsary in my school, if you wanna do german you have to do it as well as french.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

french is more popular by far
    I do german, we've got one german class at mixed levels in my school for the LC and 4 french classes.
    Our crap german teacher is not doing anything to make german more attractive towards incoming 5th yrs either! :(
    So few students chose to do german in 1st yr this year where I am, that a german class couldn't be made!
    It's high time the dept of education promoted languages more

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I do French and German, there's only about 15 in my German class but I think about 90-100 girls do French. The four French classes that are on while I have German are streamed so he rest of the people who do Germand and French as well as some people who do Home Ec are in reject French where we're a mixed class.

Advertisement