Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signal Strength/Speed

Options
  • 24-04-2008 2:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I've a Smart 5mbps connection with a Micronet wireless router. I get a signal strenght of about 75% most of the time. Will a bigger aerial increase signal stength? and will that make any difference in download speeds?
    Right now I can download a ubuntu iso from HEAnet.ie at 550/600KBps

Thanks

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Download rate sounds about right for your connection speed. Connect your PC to the router using a cable and see if there is any noticeable difference in download speed. If there isn't, little point in attempting to boost wireless signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Joanamo

irlrobins wrote: »
    Download rate sounds about right for your connection speed. Connect your PC to the router using a cable and see if there is any noticeable difference in download speed. If there isn't, little point in attempting to boost wireless signal.

Compare download with cable connection, of course! didn't think of that... Thanks

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Joanamo

Download speed decreases from 7 mb to about 4 mb. with a signal strength of about 65%. That's from one room to another on the same floor. Not really worth it. I'll try the connection throught the electrical socket, though those modems are more expensive. Oh well.

J

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Joanamo wrote: »
    Download speed decreases from 7 mb to about 4 mb. with a signal strength of about 65%. That's from one room to another on the same floor. Not really worth it. I'll try the connection throught the electrical socket, though those modems are more expensive. Oh well.

J

Surely an ubuntu iso cant be that urgent?

Have you checked to see if any other wireless networks are on the same channel as yourself? Netstumbler will do this for you.

Advertisement