Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia E61i Problem!

Options
  • 23-04-2008 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

I have a Nokia E61i and every time I try to change any of the settings such as Access points or Sip Settings I get the message "Memory Full:close some applications and try again".
    As far as I can see I have nothing running. I have pretty much deleated everything in the phone memory and installed a 2gb micro sd card.

Any suggestion- am i just doing something stupid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

The memory full warning has nothing to do with content stored, so stop deleting ....it won't help!
    Are you sure you have no apps open? Do you close apps by pressing the red button? Don't! "exit" apps properly. If you can, install "handy taskman" (get a trial from handango or any of the usual online stores) - it's an extended taskmanager that replaces the built-in one, so when you press and hold the menu button you see what apps are really open, how much ram and onboard memory you have (you can also switch easily between apps and "kill" apps that are buggy and won't close conventionally).

so what apps do you run a lot?
    Is your email client always on to auto-collect? Widsets running widgets that auto-update content? Are you closing the browser properly (safari/opera mini and so on are reall ram-gobblers - delete your browser history/private data - lol, I recently found that somehow my tytn's browser cache had set "itself" to 30mb... When I cleaned it I found the 15 mb of phone memory I'd been looking for...)...
    Was it always like that, or have those problems recently developed?
    how are you setting up settings - the regular ones like internet, wap etc are sorted out by the settings wizard, but since you connect your ram problem to your fiddling with settings, I wonder if you have email on all the time?

handy taskman is good to see what's going on, and it's a useful app anyway - repeat: it lets you kill apps, so you no longer need to power off the whole phone every time an application freezes... If the problem was there out-of-the-box, and assuming you're not accidentally running apps in the background: return the phone, or update the firmware... But check your "routine" first! Returning to main screen via "hide" or red button does NOT close programmes! Some apps like screenshot apllications etc want to be hidden, but don't! Start them when you need them. Dito rss readers, widgets... The e61i is a good phone, and to be honest: most probs similar to yours that I've seen discussed boiled down to running all sorts of stuff thinking this or that closes every app...
    But there couldd be a bug/memory leakage etc etc...
    And only you can REALLY figure out what's going on...

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

Hi Strecker,
    I really only ever use the internet browser that came with the phone, the calander and email. I clear the cache and autobooknarks often. I have the email setup to only download headers(i retreive the ones I want to look at when I am out and about). It is not set to auto collect,
    As far as I can see i have nothing else running. the only application i ever downloaded was google maps and this has been removed.

I only have the phone two months- I dont know if it always done this as it is only in the last 3-4 weeks that I wanted to delete some of my acces points(i travel alot for work so I use WIFI in hotels) and set up voip.

It may need to go back to vodafone!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

okmqaz42 wrote: »
    As far as I can see i have nothing else running.

what do you mean by as far as you can see? do you mean that you hold down the menu button for a second until a list of open apps pops up and there's nothing there?

that warning is quite common on nokia symbian phones. and on the e65 there's some kind of bug so that any time that warning appears, the phone takes it upon itself to shut down every application i'm running. extremely annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

when i hold the menu key for a second i get a pop up menu and the only thing that displays is an icon saying "standby"

Advertisement