Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longford Council

Options
  • 23-04-2008 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

I have had an email from a Longford person claiming that Longford CC has banned 12 breeds from its property, including Greyhounds. Can anyone confirm this with more detail if it is true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

http://www.dogworld.co.uk/News/16-new-ban-hits-greyhounds

ANOTHER Irish council has imposed a swingeing dog ban – this time outlawing Greyhounds and their crosses among other breeds.
    Longford County Council has banned 12 breeds from its properties – the Greyhound, Bulldog, Bullmastiff, Dobermann, Bull Terrier, German Shepherd, Akita, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Rottweiler, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Japanese Tosa and ‘American Pit Bull’.
    The ban also includes all those breeds’ crosses.

Angrily

Last year, owners, breeders, the Irish Kennel Club and animal welfare groups reacted angrily to Dublin City Council’s ten-breed ban from its flats, houses and estates. The ban, which the authority said was being done on ‘public safety grounds’, was imposed without warning or consultation. The breeds involved were the same as Longford’s, except the latter’s includes the Greyhound and Bulldog.
    Longford’s ban was prompted by ‘complaints from residents about noise, nuisance and fear of attacks’, the authority said this week. Greyhounds were included, the spokesman said, ‘not because they are considered dangerous but because particular difficulties are being experienced arising out of high numbers being kept in housing estates for Greyhound racing purposes, etc’.
    The ban will affect only new tenants; existing ones can keep the dogs they have, even if they are of the banned breeds.
    “Under the tenancy agreement between the council and the tenant, the tenant agrees not to keep more than one dog,” the spokesman said. “In addition, the agreement specifies that the keeping of any breed of dog listed in the appendix is prohibited.
    “In accordance with the Housing Act 1966 the housing authority is responsible for the management and control of any dwelling provided by it.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

At this stage I truely dispair at the logic behind all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

its totally crazy .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Mad alright was there reports of a lot of dog attacks in longford?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

davey180 wrote: »
    Mad alright was there reports of a lot of dog attacks in longford?

None that I know of.

How on earth are Longford CC going to ban greyhounds when they have a greyhound track there and most of the people with the dogs are local etc??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

jonny24ie wrote: »
    None that I know of.

How on earth are Longford CC going to ban greyhounds when they have a greyhound track there and most of the people with the dogs are local etc??
    That what i thought,longford council are nuts!A greyhound track,well all i can say that longford will lose out Eg (taxes?)They should do a protest march on this subject of all those bans imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The ban is for council house tennents - private citizens will still be allowed (for now) to keep what ever dogs they like.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Bond-007 wrote: »
    The ban is for council house tennents - private citizens will still be allowed (for now) to keep what ever dogs they like.

Well some of the people that race greyhounds would be in coucil housing down here and they would be very good racers on the track.

Advertisement