Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claim to Lame

Options
  • 23-04-2008 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

there was a thread on this a while back, but i couldnt find it and i thought it was cool...

i have a few claim to lames-

Literally knocked Glenda Gilsen over as i walked out of my local chinese.

Tripped up Adrian Kennedy by accident in a club he was DJing in.

Ryan Tubridy was the guy in front of me in the Spar in Donnybrook once.

It feels great to be rubbing shoulders with the Irish celebrity classes.

Anyone got any good ones? Mine are pretty lame...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Brendan kilkenny sat in front of me on the bus once.
    That's pretty lame.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Met John Shea in NY got a pic with him and went for a pint
    http://www.bates.edu/Images/Bates_Magazine/2007-summer/main/Shea9867.jpg

For those of you who dont know, he played Lex Luthor in The New Adventures of Superman, for the girls it's the program Teri Hatcher was in before Desperate housewives.

Shook hands with Nelson Mandela (though that was cool)
    Ditto for Mary robinson

And my best Claim to Lame! Liam Brady falling asleep on me on a flight to London!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

Just thought of another one, its not that lame though...the whole 1994 Irish soccer squad were on the same flight as me, and i got to meet them all. I was only six at the time and dont remember it though...which is lame.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Sat beside John Rocha at "Babe" in the cinema many moons ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

bronte wrote: »
    That's pretty lame.

Yes it is .... Stoner has a great story about him :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I have Thelma Mansfield's autograph. \o/

I came within an inch of getting spat on by Keith from The Prodigy.

I stopped the band Morcheeba from getting backstage when I did security (It's their own fault for being nobodies and not having their passes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭lisaloo

saw the red haired girl from the afternoon show on TV 3 at Electric picnic last yr. cant remember her name though, now thats lame.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

here's another i just remembered...i dunno if it is lame or not though...Jonah Lomu apologiesed to me for stepping on my foot at the Hong Kong sevens...too right, i woulda battered him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

I once met Gay Byrne, Patrick Kielty, Daniel O'Donnell and Dana all on the same night in Donegal. Send me €10 via Paypal and you can shake the hand that shook the hand of wee Daniel. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I met timmy mallet by a swimming pool when i was a young 'un and was in his music video for all of .5 seconds in ibiza.

I met pippa from home and away while i was lying on a hammock, tripping of mushrooms in thailand.

I met some of the lions rugby tour in nz when they were doing their tour in in nz.

All the best celebs are abroad :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Agamemnon wrote: »
    I once met Gay Byrne, Patrick Kielty, Daniel O'Donnell and Dana all on the same night in Donegal. Send me €10 via Paypal and you can shake the hand that shook the hand of wee Daniel. :cool:
    PM sent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Not lame but had a pint with Damien Rice. Said hello to Ray D'Arcy last week while i was boarding a plane to Hamburg. Went to a Malibu beach wedding in Jerry Bruckheimer house, very cool :cool: http://www.jbfilms.com/

I arm wrestled a half naked Jonny Vegas.

bronte wrote: »
    That's pretty lame.

Say, didnt you bump into that 6th guy in a place in dublin? He used to be pretty big news.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I once talked to Glen Hansard - me not like him since then

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Sabotage wrote: »
    Yes it is .... Stoner has a great story about him :D

That I gotta hear! some hair on that bloke :D
    Heard a lot about that 6th fella...seems to think a lot of himself. Pfft. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Agamemnon wrote: »

pfft. When I was three O`Donnell held me up in a photo (my granny is a fan, it was at some appearance or somesuch he made at a hotel)

Apart from concerts I cant confirm Ive seen anyone famous in three odd years. Though a few months ago a lad rushed past me on O`Connell Street who looked very like Damien Duff, if it was him.

I saw Anne Doyle in town at least three times. And a lad who looked the spit of Ricky Tomlinson once walked by us, he was even wearing a typical Jim Royle dirty cheap lookin shirt.

My ambition in life is to run into a drunken Eamonn Dunphy when I am fairly well on myself. I was very disappointed when we had a work do on a Friday night in that Renards nightclub and he didnt show up.

edit- oh yeah, got a photo with my arm around Katy French, she was a hired model at a Christmas work do in late 2006 wearing a Mrs Claus type short outfit (she wasnt famous then, I only made the connection when the papers started being full of stuff about her every day maybe 3 months later)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

I once saw Dennis Quaid, from behind, some distance away, when he was teeing off at a golf course, and I was waiting tables in the clubhouse. :pac:
    Shook hands with Hillary Clinton.
    Saw Bill Clinton drive past in his presidential limo in Washington DC.
    Saw Ross Noble (English Comedian) from behind in the International Bar.
    Colin Murphy once walked past me in DCU.
    Saw Bertie in Arnotts.
    Once walked past Louie Walsh on Parliament St, my mate said "it's Louie Walsh", and Louie Walsh says "No, it's not me!", and runs off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Tried to chat up Rosanna Davidson. Made a bit of a hash of it. She looks very good in person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

blah wrote: »
    Colin Murphy once walked past me in DCU.

ffs I forgot that one :)

A Sunday night on a bank holiday weekend at some point before new year we were in The Village, walkin back in from that side alleyway everyone smokes at and see my mate infront grabbing some chap, hugging him and roaring "you are one funny cnut! Fair play to ya son!"

As Im walking in Colm/Colin* emerges, nods, smiles and says "awright what about ye" and walks past. Id assumed my mate had run into someone he knew already :p

*: which is it? There is Colm Murphy and Colin Murphy. Ones a comedian one is a DJ. Both are nordies and I always mix them up :confused:

Shook John Brutons hand at the opening of the Blanch centre 11 or 12 odd years ago (he was some lad who used to have some big job or somethin....). Bertie walked past me in the same place with about a dozen minders/hangers on in suits during the last campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Ken Doherty sat beside me on an early morning Ryanair flight to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

The cheap bastard.

Shook Bernard Jackmans hand and had five second one way(me) chat with him.
    Eoin McLove from Father Ted, cannot remember the lads name, lives in my estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I held the door for Anne Doyle.
    She was very nice about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Was at a function with president Mary McAleese yesterday.

Also there was Shane Byrne, Andrea Roche, Pippa O'Connor and a few other minor Irish celebs..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I confess, I got Ryle Nugents autograph when i was younger... stop laughing, i was young:o, he useta be on kids tv, that musta been 15 years ago...very very lame

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jenny-walsh

I got ripped to shreds by Dom Irrera at a comedy gig at the cat laughs, he caught me looking at my watch. Got to have a few pints and a laugh about it with him a few days later though.
    Met Bill Murray...think it was teh first or second year of the cat laughs. He looked like a knacker in a big long wool coat. Very nice though.
    I had to be a day guide for Patrick Bergin (of Sleeping with the Enemy fame) when he visited Kilkenny years ago. Talk about tall! I could look him straight in the elbow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Walking by trinity college a fly flew into my mouth so i spat, looked up and it turns out i almost gobbed on Bertie Ahearn.

When living in London i was in a vintage guitar shop in tin pan alley, in walks Bob Geldof. He complimented me on my playing. Pity he sucked.

Was having a few pints in my local in chiswick and while at the bar Al Murray started talking to me. Weird seeing him in a suit. Nice guy though, nothing like tv.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭echter

Myleen Klass told me I was gorgeous...

....like when I was 7 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I saw Steven Tyler from Aerosmith at my gym in January. He was leaving as I was coming in, and he was yelling at someone. He ended up really close to me - just inches away - and was still yelling, and then he noticed me and apologized to me and walked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

I have many many claims to lame because of the industry I work in (meeja), but the lamest totally-non-work-related one is many years ago drunkenly shouting and giggling at Mary Harney as she was trying to hold a business breakfast meeting at the booth next to us - we had crawled into a hotel bar at 8 am after drinking since about 2pm the previous day as it was the only early house open, and spent a happy half hour cackling at our "sparkling wit" while the business folks tut tutted and she shot dagger glares at us.

Oh and one more non-work related one - many many years ago Brendan O Carroll pulled a face at me in a nightclub once - someone fell off the dancefloor and hurled chunks all over the chap I was with, and Carroll was sitting beside us at the bar and narrowly avoided the chunks himself.

Advertisement