Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best FM radio station for my SatNav

Options
  • 23-04-2008 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I've a Garmin Nuvi 710 which allows me to use my bluetooth phone via my car radio.

I want to know what is the best frequency to transmit on in order to get the best call reception in Dublin (or best reception to receive directions)... I keep finding small crap radio stations causing interferrance in between the big ones. :mad::confused:

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mines tuned to the lowest frequency possible on the nuvi (mine's a 760), 87.6 MHz IIRC. No problems so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Your problem is the same as the one encountered by people with FM transmitters for MP3 players in the car - any unused FM frequency attracts the attention of pirates who crawl out of thw woodwork in the evenings and at weekends and set up shop on the frequency that nobody else is using. The problem also with pirates is that their crap equipment often has a big frequency spread so they effectively hog several megahertz on the FM specrum.

You just have to keep on the move and when someone invades the frequency just go looking for another. By rights the authorities should designate a small section of the FM waveband for personal FM transmitters but so far that hasn't happened, in fact I think FM transmitters are probably still illegal in Ireland under the Wireless Telegfraphy Act 1926.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DJones

Thanks Alun & CoyleMj...

My Nuvi doesn't go as low as 87.6 but I've taken your advise and set it at the lowest end of it's range - seems to work so far. It's a pain that there isn't a small dedicated band for these types of transmitters... I guess I'll just have to put up with it and accept having to switch frequency when the pirates are out.

coylemj wrote: »
    ... in fact I think FM transmitters are probably still illegal in Ireland under the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1926.
    Not any more. See http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/PR221206.pdf

DJones wrote: »
    My Nuvi doesn't go as low as 87.6 but I've taken your advise and set it at the lowest end of it's range - seems to work so far.
    That's odd .. there's essentially no difference between the 710 and the 760 apart from the fact that the 760 has EU maps.

Have you got the latest firmware? Maybe they tweaked the minimum and maximum frequencies somewhere along the line in an update.

Out of interest, what are the lowest and highest frequencies you can get? Mine goes from 87.6 - 107.9.

• Advertisement
Advertisement