Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract worker - what setup is the best option?

Options
  • 23-04-2008 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi all, looking for some independent advice please. I have worked for the last two years as an IT contract worker. I am not the most intelligent about tax, vat and most financial affairs, so please forgive my ignorance. I used an acountant to look after my income. I'm not sure if I am registered as a sole trader or have a limted company. When I invoiced my company on a monthly basis I charge VAT and received the total amount into my bank account. It was then up to me to pay VAT on a monthly basis and keep aside money for tax (which I pay annually). My accountant looks after my tax affairs. He charges me 1000 euros a year for his services. I am to continue as a contract worker for at least another 2 years. My questions are....
    • Is there a better way of receiving the maximum amount from my income?
    • Would an umbrella company be a better bet or should I remian with an accountant?
    • I heard of the term 'proprietary director', I beleive this may be a very benifical setup?

any other advice is very much welcomed.

Thanks!

Advertisement