Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My barking dog

Options
  • 23-04-2008 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭

Hi

Interesting to see the other posts on dogs barking at night.

However i am an owner of a dog that barks at night. He gets plenty of exercise, at least an hour a day which is what a westie should be getting. It has only started the last 2 weeks or so. When we leave him out at night, he barks once or twice and then he goes off to bed. However if a neighbour turns on a light he will bark!!! Last night the neighbour left their outside light on all night so he was barking like mad. When we brought him in he was still barking. He used to sleep inside but barks like crazy to go out. He eventually settled down, at the side of the bed but I am just concerned that the neighbours wont be too impressed!!!

My wife was off sick on Monday and he didnt bark at all during the day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Solo-Evolution

our friends have a big lovely dog and they as well take care of it..walks,games,attention...its a dog .its normal to hear his voice once in a while..its normal to be frastrated by smtg moving or flying...they point is : its not CONSTANT on daily basis,is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

our friends have a big lovely dog and they as well take care of it..walks,games,attention...its a dog .its normal to hear his voice once in a while..its normal to be frastrated by smtg moving or flying...they point is : its not CONSTANT on daily basis,is it?

No, its not constant at all. Last night he was barking for a bit alright but thats because the light was on next door. Yesterday actually he got a long 90minute walk, i missed the first half of the game!!!

Can anyone recommend any anti barking devices?? I just want to be ready for him next time he starts!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

after watching the dog whisperer on sky, i started using a short sharp 'shust' noise to correct anything which my lab and boxer do wrong.
    we get a lot of unsavouries drinking down the laneway at the back of our house so the dogs will do their job and bark etc. If it goes on for too long (and ive checked someone is not up to mischief) or they spot a cat in the middle of the night, that noise snaps them out of their mindset and also doesnt involve me roaring out at them.
    In your situation, it could be a simple as relaxing/correcting the dog while the neighbours light is on for a few nights in a row.
    I wouldnt personally be bringing him inside to calm him down as he will just learn that barking at night means he gets to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Could you not bring him in at night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

glineli wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend any anti barking devices?? I just want to be ready for him next time he starts!!!

There's a brilliant device called "the responsible dog owner"

Either go outside and calm the dog down, or if you don't fancy traipsing round the garden at three in the morning chasing a pesky Westie, let him sleep inside, always.

In this day and age, with houses on top of each other and people with different sleeping patterns living closely together, IMO it is very inconsiderate to leave dogs outside at night. You might get away with it in the countryside, but not in towns.

They ARE dogs after all and they WILL bark now and then if left outside.

peasant wrote: »
    There's a brilliant device called "the responsible dog owner"

Either go outside and calm the dog down, or if you don't fancy traipsing round the garden at three in the morning chasing a pesky Westie, let him sleep inside, always.

In this day and age, with houses on top of each other and people with different sleeping patterns living closely together, IMO it is very inconsiderate to leave dogs outside at night. You might get away with it in the countryside, but not in towns.

They ARE dogs after all and they WILL bark now and then if left outside.

He hates sleeping inside, will bark all night. He barked straight for an hour one night. We will see how he goes tonight, fingers crossed!!!
    Normally he falls asleep in by the fire, we leave him out in his bed and he is happy out.

Hopefully it just was last night and wont happen again

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pepperds

Not a dog owner myself, principally due to not having time to dedicate to looking after one, but having grown up with two or three at a time as a kid, I love dogs. We never put our dogs outside for the night, and I think they probably appreciated this and felt more part of the family by sleeping downstairs & inside.

I'm currently faced with a problem of the owner of a house opposite ours (seperated by the two gardens), puts their [small, hence very high pitched yap] dog out EVERY night, at the same time, 10pm, and it barks non-stop for about an hour or sometimes more. As most people are aiming to go to bed around that time, I'm sure we're not the only ones who hear, and are very annoyed by the noise.

Aside from using the 'sleeping tablets in the dog biscuits' trick, can anything be done? I don't know the owners of the house, nor do I particularly want to, but the more I hear the noise the more I am expecting it the next night.

Our dog has slept inside the last 2 nights. He started barking when put in the utility, however one or 2 slaps of a newspaper against the wall stops him.

I prefer him sleeping inside as at least its a bit more considerate if he starts barking.

Can people complain if he is barking but he is in the house??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

He should get used to it and calm down eventually.

Maybe less of the threatening newspaper and more of a calming influence?

Has he got a proper bed/blanket that is "his"? Some water in there as well?
    He needs to understand that the utility room now is "his" place for the night and that he is supposed to feel comfy and relaxed in there.

So don't shout with/at him and make it comfortable for him.

A good way to make the room seem les like a "prison" to him is to spend some time with him in there during the day ...maybe play for a bit with him in there or feed him in there ...positive things.

Once he feels positive about being inside his barking protest should come to an end.

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    He should get used to it and calm down eventually.

Maybe less of the threatening newspaper and more of a calming influence?

Has he got a proper bed/blanket that is "his"? Some water in there as well?
    He needs to understand that the utility room now is "his" place for the night and that he is supposed to feel comfy and relaxed in there.

So don't shout with/at him and make it comfortable for him.

A good way to make the room seem les like a "prison" to him is to spend some time with him in there during the day ...maybe play for a bit with him in there or feed him in there ...positive things.

Once he feels positive about being inside his barking protest should come to an end.

Thanks for the advice. He started barking last night again and i just said no barking, go to bed and that was it!!! Good advice about playing with him in there, i like it.

Advertisement