Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who makes origional ORiNOCO Card

Options
  • 22-04-2008 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to get the ORiNOCO PCMCIA wireless card, I've had a look around the net, and come up with Proxim as the company. My only real question is are they the original maker of the card as I've seen on a few threads to stay away from the Proxim ORiNOCO card. Other than that all I see is copies.

Can anyone confirm if the Proxim card is the one I'm looking for or have a link to get the card.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

coldfeet wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking to get the ORiNOCO PCMCIA wireless card, I've had a look around the net, and come up with Proxim as the company. My only real question is are they the original maker of the card as I've seen on a few threads to stay away from the Proxim ORiNOCO card. Other than that all I see is copies.

Can anyone confirm if the Proxim card is the one I'm looking for or have a link to get the card.

Cheers

Looking for one for its Linux support?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

Spot on, also its drivers support software i wanna run in both linux and win.

Or do you have any alternatives???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The Netgear Dual Band WAG511 is a well supported card under Linux and is a preferred weapon for Wireless Sniffers.
    It supports Packet Re-Injection etc.

Check out Aircrack-ng, they have a good section on compatible cards/chipsets that work under Linux.

ZEN

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

coldfeet wrote: »
    Spot on, also its drivers support software i wanna run in both linux and win.

Or do you have any alternatives???

There's a lot more wireless chipsets in the kernel these days. Are you after a specific function, such as packet injection, or a certain app support?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

Ya I wanna run aircrack and aireplay through backtrack for some encryption testing. I know that the orinoco card is already supported in it.

• Advertisement

Broadcom chipsets work with it, and there's a patch here to improve performance with them

http://aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=b43

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Hi Coldfeet - I use the card I mentioned above with BackTrack 2 and all the apps you mention and can vouch for its functionality. It works in Active and Passive mode - supports re-injection.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

The Orinoco line of wireless products was originally manufactured by Lucent, Avaya and Proxim. Proxim has since been bought by another company but still sells the Orinoco product line.
    I presume that you are looking for one of the type that they manufactured 3+ years ago.
    There should be a list of card with corresponding chipsets on the No-Cat or NYC-Wireless websites...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if it's the older chip set then Buffalo and Entrasys were also the same in linux and wern't they called wavecom at one stage ?

Advertisement