Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New phone question (im trying to make comparisons)

Options
  • 22-04-2008 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

So ive just been promised a new phone by parents if i study for exams....

Long story short ive cut it down to these two phones and im on meteor

-Nokia 6500 Slide
    -Sony erricson 910i

Neither of these phones are out yet(on meteor) but are coming soon.

I was planing to get an Nokia N73 but they seem to be identicle to the 6500 Slide... is this a fair comparison?
    Both phones are out in other networks. Can you give me some user feedback?(I read a review of the 910i that says it freezes and turns off...True?)

What are your reccomendations and if you know of any other cool phones coming out soon please tell me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭nuttlys

Both are pretty good phones, the SE is more expensive at the moment so that might be something to take into consideration.

Main differences in each I would say:
    -6500 has a 3.2 cam versus the 910i's 2.0
    -The 910i is a good bit lighter and slimmer
    -910i had the potential for such a good media player but from my experience when in use really slows down the overall phone functionality.
    -not many people know but the 6500 comes with a TV output lead for viewing pics on your tv
    -Nokia have stuck a 256mb microSD in while SE have given its phone a 1GB microSD (might explain the price difference)
    -The SE has an Accelerometer inside, which is really just a gimick IMO. SE boast you can use to skip tracks, but TBH it doesn't work everytime, still needs some tweaking.

I've played with both phones a good bit and personally I side with the nokia, its just got a more professional, classier look and seems more solid. It is also simpler to use IMO. The SE has too many small buttons in the wrong places, like the music button on the top left, which when slid up is almost impossible to get to.

It really comes down to your preference, SE or Nokia. Both are pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

N73 and 6500 have a major difference: n73 is symbian s60 3rd, 6500 is s40 5th... Though similar ui at first glance, s60 3rd is really a bit better in terms of apps available...

anyhoo:
    6500 is a good bit heavier than 910i: nokia used stainless steel and that is good imho... It feels, and most certainly IS much sturdier than w910i. Now s.o. Is gonna point out that the steel casing attracts dirt.... Duh, but you can clean it. The w910i loses it's fancy colour after a while like a bad nail job...

s40 means you get 3rd party apps you cannot get for w910i, while the 6500 also has java - so in terms of extra apps, the nokia beats the w910i...

memory card: yeah, se comes with a gb but it's sony ericssons prorietary memory stick micro... So new cards are more expensive than the Nokia's micro sd!!!

6500 has a 16million colour screen, but that's not the kicker. The big screen advantage is noticeable when you take both phones outdoors: in the sun the w910's screen is barely viewable, while the 6500 is still perfectly usable!!!

the only advantage I see in the w910 is the keypad, but as already mentioned: it also has other buttons in annoying places, so overall 6500 is better (plus nokia have some nifty shortcuts and you have active standby screen, can rearrange menu layout etc etc....

offer me 2 w910's or one 6500 and I'd take the 6500... (in addition: SE's pc suite inho totally stinks compared to nokia's pc software, it uses more pc resources, is slower, and a pain to cleanly uninstall. Also: nokia's fw updates usually address bugs and add some new goodies, while SE can be skimpy with firmware updates, and occasionally they add new bugs...rather than fix problems)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

strecker wrote: »
    s40 means you get 3rd party apps you cannot get for w910i, while the 6500 also has java - so in terms of extra apps, the nokia beats the w910i...

i think you're mistaken there. S60/symbian means extra apps. S40 can only install java apps just like the w910i

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

strecker wrote: »
    offer me 2 w910's or one 6500 and I'd take the 6500... (in addition: SE's pc suite inho totally stinks compared to nokia's pc software

i agree. myphoneexplorer is better for use with SE's. the fact that a lot of people use a third party app rather than SE's own software shows how crap it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i think you're mistaken there. S60/symbian means extra apps. S40 can only install java apps just like the w910i

nah... You're right, and so am I...but you're a bit righter: there are some s40 apps like mobicue etc, but most are just java variants...
    S40...s80 is what I was thinking of, I guess.

shouldn't post before b'fast lol.
    Sorry

• Advertisement
Advertisement