Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek CCG-players wanted!

Options
  • 22-04-2008 4:32pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭

About 3 times a year, I like to put a call out for people interested in playing this fine game :)

I have a number of free 2-player sets to give away to interested people. Try the game out with a friend and if you like it, I'll send out more deck to play with...all free of charge! Just let me know what affiliations you like (Borg, Federation,Romulan etc)!

The Star Trek Customizable Card Game has been going strong since 1994, although the newer incarnation has being going since 2003.

The game is played by 2 or more players using decks built around the players favourite ships, personnel and missions from all 5 Star Trek series and all 10 films.

They game is not hard to play, but once you have your first game, you will realise the strategy and fun that runs throughout the game.

The object of the game is to score 100 points by using your ships to carry your personnel to missions where they use their skills (such as Astrometrics, Navigation, Leadership etc etc) and attributes (integrity, cunning and strength) to finish the mission. So for example, the mission Investigate Maquis Activity requires Diplomacy, 2 Leadership and a combined Integrity of greater than 27.

Looks like a job for Jean Luc Picard and William T. Riker...with their combined Diplomacy, 2 Leadership and Integrity of 14, all that is needed to finish this mission is another 14 Ingegrity...how about Guinan and Worf...they have Diplomacy and Leadership and lots of Integrity to boot!

So when you get these personnel to the mission, they can solve and you can score 35 points! Once a player reaches 100 points, they win!

Of course, that would be just too easy...wouldn't it! That's why the opponent may play cards called dilemmas to thwart your mission attempt! Before a player can prove that they finish the mission, the opponent can play a set number of dilemmas. Some may kill the opponents personnel, some may "stop" the opponents personnel (remove them for the mission attempt) or some may even damage your ship.

If a player can overcome all the dilemmas that the opponent plays, and still have the requirements to finish the mission, he scores the points!

Each affiliation mirrors their actions in the series very well. For example...

The Borg assimilate their opponents personnel and ships.
    Klingons battle for bonuses and kill for fun.
    Romulans are the masters of ruining opponents strategies.
    Ferengi steal, bribe and get bonus for playing with greed in mind.
    Cardassians capture, torture and interrogate opponents personel.
    Bajorans help each other out during times of need.
    Dominion can battle, but also send founders to infiltrate the opponent.
    Maquis do all they can to disrupt an opponents cards in hand.
    Terok Nor the Dissidents destroy the opponents deck.

And for those of you looking to play the more wholesome good guys...we have 4 different Federation/Starfleet affiliations to try...

The Next Generation
    Picard and crew use diplomacy as their strength-they believe in bonuses for all players-although the bonuses are better for the Federation!

Deep Space 9
    Being a darker series than TNG, the cards available to DS9 sometimes go against the Principles of the Federation.

The Original Series
    Kirk and co. have an interesting mechanic associated to their cards. You may play them at a higher cost to get a one-off bonus which may make of break a game!

Voyager
    Alll alone in the Delta Quadrant, the crew of the Voyager are stranded, but make use of what they have to win.

Starfleet
    The crew of the Enterprise NX-01 get bonus by being the first to explore space!

So with free cards, you have nothing to lose by trying the game...you may even like it :D...and keep an eye out for the Mirror Universe!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

There are a few players in Cork AFAIK. If you've contact with the Vs players there you can probably get in touch with the Trekkies.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hey there,
    Thanks for the info! I know the players you are talking about, I play against them quite regularly!

if you have any interest yourself, please let me know and I'll send a few decks your way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

One card game is plenty for me (2 if you count poker).

lol, I'm playing poker right now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Klingon pigdog.

• Advertisement

Only my close friends get to call me that:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Tergon

Just wondering if people are still playing this?
    Also anyone play Babylon 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Ugh.

Thanks for the 2 helpful and thoughtful coments DaBounca :rolleyes::p. PM sent Tegron!

Advertisement