Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony LCD-Skybox-DVDR-Home Cinema

Options
  • 22-04-2008 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a fairly complicated setup at home that I need to get sorted.
    My set up includes the following

Sony Bravia 32 LCD
    Sony DAV-X1G Home Cinema 2.1 DVD system
    Sony 80GB hard Drive DVD recorder
    Sky Digibox.

I have everything working except that I can't get the sound from the sky digibox to the DAV-X1G system. I want to be able to use the home cinema system to watch sky movies. Would an RCA or digital coax do the job or do I need a SCART to RCA?

Any advice appreciated...

Thanks..

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

does your sky box have a digital optical out?? thats the only way to get 5.1 surround sound out from it. some boxes dont have that socket.

if it does, then just use an optical cable from sky box to the X1 and you're sorted.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭D/C

Yeah Optical Lead should do the job!

Another way would be to use an audio to audio lead! with the red and white connections on each side! Put that in to the red and white connections in the sky box and the video 1/ sat 1 connection in the home cinema! then set the source to video 1!

You should be able to figure that out! Good Luck hope that helps!

D/C wrote: »
    Yeah Optical Lead should do the job!

Another way would be to use an audio to audio lead! with the red and white connections on each side! Put that in to the red and white connections in the sky box and the video 1/ sat 1 connection in the home cinema! then set the source to video 1!

You should be able to figure that out! Good Luck hope that helps!

that wont give you surround sound though. the only way to get surround sound out of a sky box is with optical

big_moe wrote: »
    that wont give you surround sound though. the only way to get surround sound out of a sky box is with optical

So tell me what would it do if it won't give you surround sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭ongarite

Its 2.0 stereo being fed to your amp. Your amp then uses Dolby Pro Logic to "fake" surround sound to rear speakers.

• Advertisement

what ongarite said..

it will only give you front left and right audio. then yur amp processes to give a "fake" surround.

so to donie75, check if your sky box has optical out.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/CDE/_TOSLINK.JPG

the one on the right of the picture

adam

Ah very good, you learn something new everyday, cheers!

But sure it is only 2.1 surround sound anyway!

D/C wrote: »
    Ah very good, you learn something new everyday, cheers!

But sure it is only 2.1 surround sound anyway!

what do you mean? with rca cables (red & white) its only 2.0 sound (no surround, no subwoofer)

and with optical, its 5.1 surround for the movies. they might broadcast 5.1 on other stuff as well... not too sure though.

The op's home cinema is only 2.1!

apologies D/C, i completely didnt see that!

well in that case you can use optical or the audio cables suggested by D/C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Thanks for all the advice. My skybox has no optical output so I guess I'll have to use RCA's. Maybe it's time to upgrade to Sky+.

Cheers!

D

Advertisement