Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incorrect rent demand

Options
  • 22-04-2008 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

Have a standing order to pay my rent.
    Got a letter this morning saying that they had not received rent in March.
    I rang my bank and the rent did go through on the 3rd of March.
    I rang the estate agency and informed them of this and of my receipt of the letter. They now want a statement or other confirmation details showing it's gone through from my bank - to help them "chase" it, as "it has got lost somewhere between my bank and their account". Is this even possible or are they just chancing their arm or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

It's possible but rare.
    They wouldn't have sent you a letter asking for the rent if they had [knowingly] received your money. They'll likely take your bank statement, and go to their bank and ask WTF the money is.
    Then the banks will argue it amongst themselves for a while as to whose problem it was, then the agency will eventually get your cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

This happened to me before. Turns out the bank had lodged the money into someone elses account. Do you have a reference number for the transaction? If not ask the bank for it and give that and a bank statement (or printout from online banking showing the transfer) to the estate agent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Bank had lodged money into the correct account. Rang the agency last week and they maintained they hadn't received the money. Went into them today and when they actually bothered to check they said yes they had received it. Liars and chancers is all they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

pwd wrote: »
    Have a standing order to pay my rent.
    Got a letter this morning saying that they had not received rent in March.
    I rang my bank and the rent did go through on the 3rd of March.
    I rang the estate agency and informed them of this and of my receipt of the letter. They now want a statement or other confirmation details showing it's gone through from my bank - to help them "chase" it, as "it has got lost somewhere between my bank and their account". Is this even possible or are they just chancing their arm or what?

I know it is late now but never give a landlord or agent a copy of your bank statement (or to anyone else for that matter unless it is a mortgage application). That is way too sensitive info to pass around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Or when you give it make sure everything other than that transaction in question is blacked out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

this happened to me before, the rent was £900, three of us were paying £300 into a bank account, and every month the money would go from that account to the landlords. Problem was, a transfer cost 12p, so they didn't send it :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

tbh wrote: »
    this happened to me before, the rent was £900, three of us were paying £300 into a bank account, and every month the money would go from that account to the landlords. Problem was, a transfer cost 12p, so they didn't send it :(

Arrrghhhhhh!!!!

beeno67 wrote: »
    I know it is late now but never give a landlord or agent a copy of your bank statement (or to anyone else for that matter unless it is a mortgage application). That is way too sensitive info to pass around
    Yeah the lady in the Bank made the point that you don't have to show anyone your bank statement right before I went in and I felt a bit outraged that they were looking for it when I thought about that. I decided I didn't feel comfortable showing it to them and didn't show it. Then the person I dealt with there said that yes they had received the money - so the other person I spoke to about the demand was lying when they said they hadn't.

Blacking out information is a good idea if there is legitimate reason to show documents like that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Be sure to write a letter of complaint to the Estate Agents.

RedPlanet wrote: »
    Be sure to write a letter of complaint to the Estate Agents.
    good idea

• Advertisement
Advertisement