Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boyfriend's 21st party- I need a dress

Options
  • 22-04-2008 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

My boyfriend's 21st is coming up (end of May) and his parents are throwing a big party for him in their home. It's mostly a family affair with a small number of his friends, and we'll be heading into town afterwards to meet up with more people. The party is a relatively dressy thing I reckon, they've hired caterers, just got the house redecorated so it would be finished in time for the party, mother has already bought a beautiful and very expensive dress, etc.

My problem- I've nothing to wear and have looked around most of the high street shops to no avail. Can any of you help me? I'm looking for something chic and classic with a contemporary or unusual twist. I'm 5'3" and a size 10-12 with a very pronounced hourglass shape. Any help would be massively appreciated. Thanks guys!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

do you have much to spend how about heading to coast or one of them?they usually do very nice things. i was having a look at littlewoods direct and some of their new stuff is really nice be worth a gander.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Karen Millen have lovely stuff, John Rocha at Debenhams, +1 for Coast aswel.. Julienne in the Stephen's Green Centre...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

Coast is lovely, although a bit generic for me. I'm looking for something different but not totally wild looking. I'm willing to spend up to €200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I'm looking for something similar to what you described you for a wedding and so far I haven't had any luck. I know what you mean about Coast, they seem to have the same stuff all the time only in different colours, I don't really like the Debenhams range either. Have you looked in Pamela Scott? I was there at the weekend and they had a (very) small section of 'young' dresses, some of them were a bit barbie-ish but they had a couple of nice ones.

^^^ Yeah Pamela Scott in Dundrum (downstairs) and Grafton Street(upstairs) have gorgous evening gowns, some really unusual stuff too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

What are the prices like in Pamela Scott? Their website is undergoing maintenance so couldn't have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭golden gal

My friend tried this dress on last week in warehouse and although the colour is a little dull, it tailored beautifully and looks gorge and unusual on; http://www.warehouse.co.uk/fcp/product/-/DRESSES/SLINKY-TWIST-STRAP-DRESS/6670

SexyD4Lady wrote: »
    What are the prices like in Pamela Scott? Their website is undergoing maintenance so couldn't have a look.

The dresses I looked at ranged from around €90-€120, even though they had some more expensive ones also.

golden gal wrote: »
    My friend tried this dress on last week in warehouse and although the colour is a little dull, it tailored beautifully and looks gorge and unusual on; http://www.warehouse.co.uk/fcp/product/-/DRESSES/SLINKY-TWIST-STRAP-DRESS/6670

I tried that one on last week, didn't like it at all, it made me look very out of proportion with the way it goes in at the end...

xzanti wrote: »
    I tried that one on last week, didn't like it at all, it made me look very out of proportion with the way it goes in at the end...

I was thinking it might make you look big around the arse alright. I love that shade of grey, especially in slinky materials.

• Advertisement

I ended up buying something on the style of this but a bit longer and in the same colour and fabric as ^^ that one, and I really like the look of it on... Got lots of compliments too :) think they still have them.. http://www.warehouse.co.uk/fcp/product/-/DRESSES/V-NECK-TEE-SHIRT-DRESS/6494

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Suzywuzy

Hey !

I was in the exact same boat as you, only I'm between 12 and 14. Hadn't seen anything anywhere that I really liked other than a dress in Warehouse (halterneck purple), but his sister had gotten it for a wedding a few weeks ago it turns out and is wearing it to his party now too.

Anyway, I had a look at Freemans online and they have loads of nice ones. I figured I was kinda between a 12 and 14 so was brave and went for a 12 in two dresses. One's black with sequin's on the bust area and kinda frilly bits on the lower half, knee length. The other was kinda turquise green v neck with black velvet band under bust and a lil brooch. Thought the green one would have been better and I wouldn't have a hope of fitting in the black one nicely, but it was the opposite. The green was too big and too long and the black is the nicest dress I've had in a long time !!!

I'd highly recommend it. They were delivered in less than a week and have a two weeks return policy. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

I buy dresses from here The-Blackberry sometimes if I want something different, they have some really original designs and great fits and because it's UK based you can be guarenteed no one else will have it :) It's over ebay but they deliver really quickly, have a great return policy and the clothes are great quality. You might see something you like if you look at the store ;)

Advertisement