Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping dogs jumping on cars?

Options
  • 22-04-2008 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I'm looking for a little help. My parents are having trouble with a neighbours dog. Everytime they drive past, the dog jumps up on their car, scratching the paintwork.

Does anyone know of anyway of stopping this? I've heard of electronic devices that repel dogs (I think it ultrasonic, but not sure). Are these any good?

Thanks

Rosboy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

The most obvious solution to me is to have your parents approach the neighbours and request that they keep their dog off the street. I'm sure a bill for a repainting job might encourage them.
    Failing that, you could report to the ISPCA since the dog is 'stray'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

+1
    Your neighbors are breaking the law by having the dog out of control and unsupervised in public. Surely if the dog were to be run over accidently by your parents (which is very likely to happen no matter how careful they are), they'll be the first ones blamed by the owners, and probably landed with the flipping vet bill. What if they had to swerve the car suddenly to avoid the dog and had an accident with another car or person? Sounds like the owners don't give a stuff IMO. I say tell the neighbors to keep the dog in or give the dog warden a call....
    BTW I can't see the repellant devices working in this situation, the dog will be too wound up to even notice it with the 'thrill of the chase'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

how buying knight riders car youd have no problems with the scratches
    issues.:eek::D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Thanks for your thought guys.

I'm of the same opinion as yourselves.

The problem my parents live in the middle of the country, where people have fallen out over far less than dogs jumping on cars! More than that, my parents would be very much the non confrontational types. I'd step in an say something to the neighbours except, my parents would be devastated if I did.

This of course restricts their options!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

What if your parents called around and just expressed concerns that the dog is going to get injured by their car?? No reasonable owners could find fault with that? Thats not confrontational, as its more for the dogs benefit, not your poor paint job! In fairness though, they are perfectly within their rights to do so, but I understand some people don't want to come across as 'the annoying neighbor' type.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

slightly Ot, when i was younger our german shepard used to sleep on the roof of my dad's car and just about every morning when dad went to the back yard to leave for work we could hear a series of loud yells (from him) as he tried to get the dog down.

good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Try a water pistol the shock of water getting the dog may stop him.

Advertisement