Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curtins for Conways

Options
  • 22-04-2008 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

I haven't been in Dublin in over a year no so this might be old news but it seems that one of my favorite watering holes on the north side, and also one of the oldest pubs in the city is in danger of being bought by a developer.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/bank-pushes-for-possession-of-two-pubs-to-clear-83646m-debts-1354869.html

Conways has some stained glass going back to the 19th century (when it was called Hennessys) and the bar still has fittings left over from the time when the pub was also a grocery so it really is a genuine old fashioned Irish bar. Its also at the spot where Pearse surrendered towards the end of easter week.

The Crown in Belfast is owned by the National Trust. Is there a case for a similar body in the south to take control of Conways or a similarly old fashioned histoic bar to preserve it from distruction?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

You don't think some nice curtains might actually enhance the stained glass windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Shutuplaura

Well, if you are being literal about it then yes, some new curtains wouldn't do any harm at all....Sigh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

It is a real shame that old pubs like this one are being lost from the cultural fabric of the city. I wonder however, if there is a preservation order on the facade and interior or if one could be put in place?

Any body here in An Taisce or similar body?

On a personal note, I used to enjoy drinking there before it was sold to the present owners as it was one of the few houses where the famous sign was displayed: "Trade Union Members Employed on These Premises". As far as I know this was a legacy of the 1913 lockout.

Advertisement