Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Data User Options.

Options
  • 21-04-2008 11:09pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently on meteor prepay and considering they have no prepay data packages, I've had to look to other networks.

I was looking in to a data package for occasional BB usage (only once or twice a month). Three's 3Pay BB package seems to stand out. Rather handy to be able to order BB for a week. However it does not allow you to order the sim only. I have my own HSDPA handset, can I use this with 3 or are you stuck buying that stupid looking box too?

Can you get an add-on for 3Pay itself? It looks like you can get 1GB for €10 pm or 10GB for €20 pm, however, are these full internet access or walled garden access?

Or are there any other options for the occasional data user?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

jmccrohan wrote: »
    I'm currently on meteor prepay and considering they have no prepay data packages, I've had to look to other networks.

I was looking in to a data package for occasional BB usage (only once or twice a month). Three's 3Pay BB package seems to stand out. Rather handy to be able to order BB for a week. However it does not allow you to order the sim only. I have my own HSDPA handset, can I use this with 3 or are you stuck buying that stupid looking box too?

Can you get an add-on for 3Pay itself? It looks like you can get 1GB for €10 pm or 10GB for €20 pm, however, are these full internet access or walled garden access?

Or are there any other options for the occasional data user?

You can get a 3Pay SIM for just 9€ from any 3 shop. The broadband packages can be added on using the handset -it is a little more expensive though from a prepay SIM, 5€ for per diem access rising to 25€ for the 10GB package for example. As long as your HSDPA handset is unlocked, you may use your 3Pay SIM without any problems. The other advantage of 3 is the ability to use it in 7 more countries worldwide without penalty. The disadvantage is the frequent crappy performance within the ROI.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

culabula wrote: »
    You can get a 3Pay SIM for just 9€ from any 3 shop. The broadband packages can be added on using the handset -it is a little more expensive though from a prepay SIM, 5€ for per diem access rising to 25€ for the 10GB package for example. As long as your HSDPA handset is unlocked, you may use your 3Pay SIM without any problems. The other advantage of 3 is the ability to use it in 7 more countries worldwide without penalty. The disadvantage is the frequent crappy performance within the ROI.
    And are all ports accessible or is it only port 80?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

jmccrohan wrote: »
    And are all ports accessible or is it only port 80?

Hard to know, see the thread over in broadband. Sometimes it works impeccably, other times less well. I have used it for iChat on occasion without fail while most of time it refuses to connect. Skype always works. I have even used it shared via my N95 or MacBook with my PSP to log into my LocationFree base station at home and watch Sky Digital -on the train! Other times, you can't even retrieve an email.

Advertisement