Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping gear

Options
  • 21-04-2008 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

Guys with the gathering drawing ever closer I'm sure many of you are picking up some camping stuf... Well we're all in some luck because lidl are doing some camping stuff this week

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20080421.index

Post any tips on where to get stuff guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Nice one man, i need a few bits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Guys with the gathering drawing ever closer I'm sure many of you are picking up some camping stuf... Well we're all in some luck because lidl are doing some camping stuff this week

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20080421.index

Post any tips on where to get stuff guys

Hehe they arent selling the 20 euro tents again they were funny when i went to belgium last year blasted things were not even waterproof:p.
    Sorry had to put that in im happily all sorted with regards to camping gear:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Do the manly thing; dig a slit trench, line it with lichen and cover it with some broadleaf branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

meant to post this earlier, nice one cheeky, i picked up one of those tents in lidl this morning, haven't looked at it yet, but they look decent enough

also, dunnes have fold out camping chairs for 10euro at the moment too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

NakedDex wrote: »
    Do the manly thing; dig a slit trench, line it with lichen and cover it with some broadleaf branches.

Pffh! Pansy!

Take out your boiling cup, turn it upside down and squash under that. Added advantage of being perfectly designed to withstand a nuclear blast but not tepid water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Fiach Dubh

Evolute wrote: »
    Hehe they arent selling the 20 euro tents again they were funny when i went to belgium last year blasted things were not even waterproof:p.
    Sorry had to put that in im happily all sorted with regards to camping gear:D

Bloody Hell! :D

Pffh! Pansy!

Take out your boiling cup, turn it upside down and squash under that. Added advantage of being perfectly designed to withstand a nuclear blast but not tepid water.

Listen, we both know you can't do that. You couldn't even sleep in a slit trench let alone under a cup. You'd need a bloody crater with a gazebo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Fiach Dubh wrote: »
    Bloody Hell! :D

Yep and it pissed rain for two days while I was there too:(
    The sleeping bag I had was better at keeping me dry then the tent haha

Anyways camping gear Rabble Rabble Rabble:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

Bear Grylls has some great tips for surviving in these sorts of conditions - and much worse! For example, you could 'take care' of one of your fellow airsofters, remove the entrails which you'll eat of course (waste nothing!) and then sleep inside a hut created using the ribcage. It'll keep you warm for hours, lol! And then in the morning you can use the skin to create a sail, so you can sail to freedom and almost certain insanity using the ribcage and inflated lungs, as well as a lucrative deal with the Discovery Channel, since the novelty of 8 hours a day of 'Deadliest Catch' is likely to wear off at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

camping gear -sleeping bags actuly millets are doing 2 sleeping bags for 60 euro ,or 37 euro each,
    argos also have bags from 15 euro's up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Argos has similar prices, worth a look too, at least on tents and sleeping bags.

Theres a camoflage pop tent with my name on it :D

Sh1t, I'll use it as a machine gun nest :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

Got me the 3 man from Lidl - its sweet.
    Camping chair needs a cushion.
    Disposible BBQ - Awesome.

Everything is sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

If you're near an Uber-Tesco, they have cheap camping stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

has anyone pitched the tent to see how weather-proof they are?!

Motosam wrote: »
    Argos has similar prices, worth a look too, at least on tents and sleeping bags.

Theres a camoflage pop tent with my name on it :D

Sh1t, I'll use it as a machine gun nest :eek:

I had to get a blue one, sold out in the Jervis an Ilac shopping centres :mad: good tent though, idiot proof (Me)

Ok, I walk through town every evening, along the river beside temple bar, or the far side near arnotts, gamestop all that, Is there anywhere worth popping into?

Hmmm the great outdoors (The shop logo looks like the dorito one lol)maybe? They're near Arnotts i think

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

go straight down henry street, (the one with arnotts, jervis, ilac etc) until you pass the big toymaster, then a little further down the road theres 2 camping shops on the right, millets is one, cant remember what the other one is called, if you pass them you'll come to a T junction in the road which is caple street, there a few more on that street.,

vtec wrote: »
    go straight down henry street, (the one with arnotts, jervis, ilac etc) until you pass the big toymaster, then a little further down the road theres 2 camping shops on the right, millets is one, cant remember what the other one is called, if you pass them you'll come to a T junction in the road which is caple street, there a few more on that street.,

Oh yeah I know the ones, walk that way now and again.

I'll have to run to make it before 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭(F.L.) Anders

Cork_girl wrote: »
    has anyone pitched the tent to see how weather-proof they are?!

those cheap tents are some what water proof...but as i found out to my cost on a recent surf trip in donegal, that doesnt really matter because if theres even a slight bit of wind, water (and sand by the bucketfull) flies in through the vents anyway...NOT A GOOD THING!:eek::D

• Advertisement

If they're not totally water proof, the handiest thing to do is to get some light tarp and a couple of mid-strain guy ropes and just make an elevated slant shelter above the tent. If you were clever about it, you could get an 8ftx20ft length and cover a number of tents in one go. The added use of this is that if it's nice and sunny during the day it'll act as a handy sun shelter (and a nice wind/rain break if it's a bit crap out). Just tie it up to some tree trunks or heavy branches and make sure you've got a bit of angle on it (about 20-30 degrees) with the slope side facing toward the wind.

Or if you're feeling really lazy, get the smaller tarp of the same type, throw it over your own tent, tie it to the tent ribs and laugh at everyone elses leaky tents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭seamus-2k7

From experience, lile tents are sh1te. ie you get what you pay for.

I would love to go to the 'gathering' just to see everyone's lidl tents in the morning. Just a little word of advice; spent a bit more on the tent if you can.

if its only for one night maybe ya'll be ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

seamus-2k7 wrote: »
    From experience, lile tents are sh1te. ie you get what you pay for.

I would love to go to the 'gathering' just to see everyone's lidl tents in the morning. Just a little word of advice; spent a bit more on the tent if you can.

if its only for one night maybe ya'll be ok...

Well the thing is I have a decent tent - but the festival I'm going to is in Germany, and to be honest I don't want to bring a tent that is worth that much to something like that! I use the tent every summer for back-packing around Europe and the odd break in Ireland, so don't want to wreck it. Just wanted something cheap and cheerful that if needs be I could leave it after me. Having said that, I'd rather it be waterproof - putting everything (and everyone) in a bivi bag isn't really what I'm hoping for!

I am camping in germany this summer:D

Any way iam sure ule all be grand:pac::pac:

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Well the thing is I have a decent tent - but the festival I'm going to is in Germany, and to be honest I don't want to bring a tent that is worth that much to something like that! I use the tent every summer for back-packing around Europe and the odd break in Ireland, so don't want to wreck it. Just wanted something cheap and cheerful that if needs be I could leave it after me. Having said that, I'd rather it be waterproof - putting everything (and everyone) in a bivi bag isn't really what I'm hoping for!

Waterproofing on tents breaks down after a while on even the best tents, it's just a case of how long it takes. There's a spray available called Fabsil (and another one called NikWax Tent Proof that I haven't tried) that acts like a lacquer but is designed for flexible material and replaces/repairs the waterproof layer on the material. If there's no waterproofing already on the material, it'll add a basic protection layer. Enough for regular Irish weather at least, just don't rely on it if it's raining like Victoria Falls. It's about 10 or 15 bucks a can but it's a damn sight cheaper than leaving your shiny new Coleman tent behind you for whatever reason. You can pick it up in most decent outdoor stores.

Ive used tents upto about 8years old and they've had perfect waterproofness(word?). So long as you prevent mildew and the likes you tent should last a long time.:D

Suppose Kd is right those sprays can't hurt.:p

Typical, Kd gets congrats for my ideas.

Tent waterproofing can break down, but its more of a wear-and-tear issue than just exposure to light and use. If the tent isn't waterproof already, the spray I mentioned will waterproof it for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

a bar of soap is a good waterproofer for a tent., :) have been doing that for years on weekend angling trips around ireland and its very effective.,
    you'd imagine it ould be al suds everywhere ,lol, but you just rub the dry soap into the fabric and your done.,:) its also washable so it wont stay on the tent like some of the other stuff.,

NakedDex wrote: »
    Typical, Kd gets congrats for my ideas.

sorry:p got mixed up with the names:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement