Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Research Topic

Options
  • 21-04-2008 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hey, just wondering how you approach the review of process. I'm after painfully editing my final draft of my extended essay to just under 1500 words and now i'm stumped as to how you write the review as i have to keep it so short.
    yeah i know its a couple of days before its due but well better late than never

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dip

The review is probably the easiest part so don't worry, about 150-250 words is grand.
    Its just basically your opinion on how the project went, what skills you've learned, yadda yadda, tis bs really!

Throw in general sentences like:
    • Before I chose the title of my topic, I read my first source. I knew my title had to be specific and detailed.
    • I went to [insert library here] locate further sources..took detailed notes...used table of contents in each book to access relevant information
    • I gathered my information.. began to structure it...wrote my first draft.
    • My teacher made a number of helpful suggestions regarding the layout of my extended essay, yadda yadda
    • ..returned to my notes and did some re-ordering of my material for the next draft..
    • I found the information difficult to synopsise sometimes. I wanted to control the project and find the relevant info..
    • I was happy that I had achieved my aims. I had shown that [insert conclusion here!]. I gained an insight into..
    • Throughout the whole process I gained organisational skills/research skills etc
    • I encountered problems of bias, and as I became more and more conscious of it, I felt more and more like a historian (they love hearing this sorta churned-out crap)
    • I gained independence..for the first time I was not being told what to do; it was up to myself to organise my sources and edit my essay. I feel that this project was great preparation for third level as I inted to do history/law next year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Nobody has EVER been marked down for exceeding the word count.

It is absolutly fine to go 100-200 words over it (just dont go anymore than that). My review was 300 words long.

Advertisement