Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching networks - a strange experience

Options
  • 21-04-2008 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

Nothing unusual here I guess just thought I would share my experience of switching to O2 from Meteor today.

So anyway i decide to switch to O2 from Meteor because the free O2 texts help because the gf is Vodafone, and frankly I despise Vodafone as a result of being a customer before.

I successfully switch over to O2, they were very helpful. So i go into the meteor store and ask to get my phone unlocked, the guy said cant do that only customer care can, which was grand. He then asks why, when I start explaining that I was switching to O2 he interrupts me twice to tell me their free texts offer ends on the 30th of April, which it doesnt, it only ends for new customer not people who register before the 30th (like me!).

So I ring Meteor, they say "Oh your O2 already. Can we have a number to contact you?. Your code will take 7 working days".

Does anyone not find it absurd that I should wait 7 days for the unlock code, I have spent, literally, thousands of euro's with Meteor on that number, not to mention I have a second meteor account for work and I have to wait a week before my phone is functional.

I understand that I should have asked for the unlock code before i switched had I know this delay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

depends on the handset really, sometimes a code can take a few days to come back other times its there on your account, can only speak for the network i work for but nokia codes are usually there straight away or back within 24 hrs, other brands can take a bit longer like motorola and samsung

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Some codes do actually take 7 days. Yes your problem you didn't get the code for the delay. Thousands of euro - makes no odds .. you've left them!

Best way to check is to ring back in a few hours and say - "biddy said the system was down and to call back in a few hours for the code". If thta doesn't work then you gotta wait :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Working for one of the networks I'm always amazed at the amount of people coming in to change network and not having their phone already unlocked. It's got to the stage now where I generally won't port them over unless their phone is unlock as I've seen too many people stuck with no phone at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Gillo wrote: »
    Working for one of the networks I'm always amazed at the amount of people coming in to change network and not having their phone already unlocked. It's got to the stage now where I generally won't port them over unless their phone is unlock as I've seen too many people stuck with no phone at all.

i know you'd think that'd be the kind of thing they'd sort out, y'know before they move the number "but now i have no phone!" is an expression i hear at least 5 times a day, shoulda thought of that before you cancelled your number shouldnt ya?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

krudler wrote: »
    i know you'd think that'd be the kind of thing they'd sort out, y'know before they move the number "but now i have no phone!" is an expression i hear at least 5 times a day, shoulda thought of that before you cancelled your number shouldnt ya?:D

Hi
    Can you unlock your phone before porting? Do you have to wait until your 12month contract is up (Bill Pay)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    Hi
    Can you unlock your phone before porting? Do you have to wait until your 12month contract is up (Bill Pay)?

Yeah, Its illegal for them not to give you the code for a bill pay phone as its yours (you pay for it in the contract), got new N95 two weeks ago (Voda) and already have it unlocked, in fact rang the day I got it and they txt'd the NAC to me 3 days later.

Happy days :D

Yeah, Its illegal for them not to give you the code for a bill pay phone as its yours (you pay for it in the contract), got new N95 two weeks ago (Voda) and already have it unlocked, in fact rang the day I got it and they txt'd the NAC to me 3 days later.

Happy days :D

Excellent, didn't know that at all!
    Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cormac1982

Regarding porting.... I'm looking to switch from three to O2 or vodafone. Do you need to give your current provider proper notice (or any notice at all) before you port? I'm out of the minimum term.

Vodafone tried to screw me for a termination charge 2 years ago cause I didn't give them notice but I fought them on it. It did say in my vodafone contract that if I'm termination my contract they need 30 days written notice but there was a separate section about porting which pretty much said I should contact the provider I'm porting to. Vodafone sent me a copy of their terms and conditions which was different to my copy! They had omitted the section about porting. Needless to say when I sent them my copy (and a CC to commreg) they dropped the issue! Threes' terms and conditions does say they need 30 days notice when terminating, they have no section on porting. I asked O2 and they said I don't need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

cormac1982 wrote: »
    Regarding porting.... I'm looking to switch from three to O2 or vodafone. Do you need to give your current provider proper notice (or any notice at all) before you port? I'm out of the minimum term.

i just switched from 3 to O2....and from my experience, i rang them a month before my contract was due to expire...told them i was leaving, they basically told me the date i could change over. about 10 days before that date i put the request through on the O2 online shop...20% extra minutes and txts for using that method ;) job done...

oh, 3 the feckers charged me €25 for my unlock code...on billpay :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Excellent, didn't know that at all!
    Cheers!

That's because it's not true. They are only obligated to unlock it once the 12 month period is up. Most networks, 3 being the exception, will unlock fairly fast, normally once bills have totaled over 130e.

• Advertisement

chrislad wrote: »
    That's because it's not true. They are only obligated to unlock it once the 12 month period is up. Most networks, 3 being the exception, will unlock fairly fast, normally once bills have totaled over 130e.

3 being the exception?

I'm with 3, whats the problem with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

3 being the exception?

I'm with 3, whats the problem with them?

nothing, except they charge you for the privilage of unlocking a phone that you actually own...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Gryzor wrote: »
    nothing, except they charge you for the privilage of unlocking a phone that you actually own...

they charge you €25 but that's not all. they won't give you the code at all if you're in contract

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    they charge you €25 but that's not all. they won't give you the code at all if you're in contract

Great,

Wonder now is it worth unlocking a Nokia N73?
    I know a guy who works in a three store, wonder if he could get me the code?

Advertisement