Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just bought new Boxer

Options
  • 21-04-2008 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi, i just bought a puppy boxer, i will be getting him mid May. I was just wondering can anyone recommend any good books on how to house train dogs, are there any steps that i can take to try stop him from chewing everything ie:shoes,corner of chairs etc. If there is any other advice people would like to offer it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

I have a boxer. Got her when she was about 9 months old and spend most of her time in a shed before coming to my house:(

She is very excitable and plays like a child most of the time. She truly is great fun and never gets angry or snaps. She will grab you with her mouth, but only if you are playing with a toy or something, She's clever enough not to bite.

I've found her to be great as regards house training. She takes pride in the inside of the house and only does business inside if she can't get out or is really sick. Even then she has the good grace to do it in the bathroom (clever girl) and not on the floor.

As regards chewing. All dogs do it when they are growing, but Ali never seems to stop it. If she's left inside on her own, or outside and she gets bored she chews anything and everything. Its cost me three remote controls but I've learned. Keep the dog occupied for as much as you can, and that should stop the chewing. You can give them some toys, but make sure their tough or they won't last. Although, remotes always seem more appealing than dog toys:D Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 paularklow

mad dogs ! best of luck, your going to have your hands full with it:D they are so full of energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

check in with pets ireland loads f boxer owners there who can advise and great training and behaviour section also Dogs Training Ireland for classes os good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

A "kong" is also great to prevent them from chewing things which they only do when their left unsupervised in large areas indoors, when their teething and the most common one when their bored!

Plenty of love, toys - squeeky ones are great, supervison and most importantly excercise is what will be needed boxers are an energetic and playful breed that need attention, stimulation and affection from humans a lot. They are not suited to be left outdoors all the time either.

There such a brilliant breed though and well worth the time and effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

My boxer is almost 6 months old now and I love her to bits (got her off Shinners). Anyway they are full of energy, but so clever and cute too. Walking is a bit of a nightmare cause she just wants to play with every human, dog, bird she sees! I brought her to puppy training school. I am based in Dublin so PM me and i can give u the details if you are interested. Really tho, its up to you to do it. At the beginning they will mess in the house, but what i did was be stern and tell them BOLD, and straight out the back for a while, so they know they did wrong. Eventually she learned to go to the back door when she wants to go, and i still tell her 'good girl' etc so she knows. It worked for me...the whole newspaper thing didnt work for me....but they say put newspaper all over the floor, and eventually u will be left with one piece and they will go on that. Oh and i also got a crate for the night time and when i was out. Its basically like a big cage, u put them in there, and eventually they dont go to the toilet in it at all because thats their little house type thing, and the minute u let them out of it, and bring them to the garden, they go to the toilet.

Also to other owners, I have to say, the most my dog has chewed is the toilet roll. She hasnt chewed shoes, presses, skirting boards, couches, remote controls like i was warned. Have i got the best dog in Ireland or is the "best" yet to come? She has loads of toys, bones and pigs ears, so perhaps this keeps her from chewing everything else? As i said she is 6 months old, so i would have thought the place would have been wreaked by now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

mel123 wrote: »
    My boxer is almost 6 months old now and I love her to bits (got her off Shinners). Anyway they are full of energy, but so clever and cute too. Walking is a bit of a nightmare cause she just wants to play with every human, dog, bird she sees! I brought her to puppy training school. I am based in Dublin so PM me and i can give u the details if you are interested. Really tho, its up to you to do it. At the beginning they will mess in the house, but what i did was be stern and tell them BOLD, and straight out the back for a while, so they know they did wrong. Eventually she learned to go to the back door when she wants to go, and i still tell her 'good girl' etc so she knows. It worked for me...the whole newspaper thing didnt work for me....but they say put newspaper all over the floor, and eventually u will be left with one piece and they will go on that. Oh and i also got a crate for the night time and when i was out. Its basically like a big cage, u put them in there, and eventually they dont go to the toilet in it at all because thats their little house type thing, and the minute u let them out of it, and bring them to the garden, they go to the toilet.

Also to other owners, I have to say, the most my dog has chewed is the toilet roll. She hasnt chewed shoes, presses, skirting boards, couches, remote controls like i was warned. Have i got the best dog in Ireland or is the "best" yet to come? She has loads of toys, bones and pigs ears, so perhaps this keeps her from chewing everything else? As i said she is 6 months old, so i would have thought the place would have been wreaked by now?

This would be the same as our boxer who is 1and a 1/2. We keep a supply of those rawhide bones and she never chews anything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Seamonster

Hi, firstly well done for getting a boxer. They really are the best pet in my eyes, great with kids and just a lovely dog all round. A great book I would recommend is quite simply called "Boxer" and written by Edward Winston Cavanaugh, published by Pet Love. I bought mine in Newlands Garden Centre in Clondalkin but I have seen them around quite a few places. It is a great book, teaches you how to train, breed and look after a boxer. I would recommend buying it and having a good read before you buy the dog because you really start training Boxers the minute they arrive, or they end up being the boss! Good luck with it.

Advertisement