Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time looking for opinions on property market

Options
  • 21-04-2008 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

Ken O’Shea here – I’m a Producer with RTE’s Prime Time. We are currently preparing a special program on Ireland’s economy, to be broadcast on Thursday, May 1st.
    As part of this program, we will be examining the Irish property market, and how it has changed over the last 12 months or so. We are currently looking for participants who would be willing to talk to us – on camera – about their personal experiences in the Irish property market.
    Perhaps you are finding it difficult get on the property ladder, or have bought in the last two years and now find that you are in – or approaching - a negative equity situation. Or perhaps you are currently trying to trade-up or sell out and are having difficulty because of the current state of the market. Perhaps you believe the market is very robust and think that talk of a crash is way off the mark.
    I would be most grateful to hear from people – from any part of the country - who would be willing to talk to us on this issue.
    I can be contacted in the following ways:

Phone: 01-2083157 (desk)
    Mobile: 087-9874966
    Email: osheak@rte.ie

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to hearing from you. .

Ken O’Shea
    Producer
    Prime Time
    RTE
    Dublin 4
    01-2083111

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

KenOShea wrote: »
    Hi,

Ken O’Shea here – I’m a Producer with RTE’s Prime Time. We are currently preparing a special program on Ireland’s economy, to be broadcast on Thursday, May 1st.
    As part of this program, we will be examining the Irish property market, and how it has changed over the last 12 months or so. We are currently looking for participants who would be willing to talk to us – on camera – about their personal experiences in the Irish property market.
    Perhaps you are finding it difficult get on the property ladder, or have bought in the last two years and now find that you are in – or approaching - a negative equity situation. Or perhaps you are currently trying to trade-up or sell out and are having difficulty because of the current state of the market. Perhaps you believe the market is very robust and think that talk of a crash is way off the mark.
    I would be most grateful to hear from people – from any part of the country - who would be willing to talk to us on this issue.
    I can be contacted in the following ways:

Phone: 01-2083157 (desk)
    Mobile: 087-9874966
    Email: osheak@rte.ie

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to hearing from you. .

Ken O’Shea
    Producer
    Prime Time
    RTE
    Dublin 4
    01-2083111

To be honest Ken, this sounds like its going to be the usual crap about property. Im not interested in hearing about people who are in negative equity, or the poor buy to letters who cant pay their mortgage. They took a gamble, did little or no research into the biggest purchase of their lives, and should not be given any sympathy. Im sure you will also have Tom Parlon or the like on spinning the usual rubbish about it "never been a better time to buy". RTE has done some decent programs about property, but for every "future shock" you had 10 episodes of "Im an adult", or househunters, or a news piece which reads the latest press release from the CIF or IAVA verbatim and report it as "news".

The horse has long bolted on this issue. Why not do something interesting like how in bed FF are with the developers or how the media obediently reports everything that they are fed by the construction/property lobby.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

jackal wrote: »
    To be honest Ken, this sounds like its going to be the usual crap about property. Im not interested in hearing about people who are in negative equity, or the poor buy to letters who cant pay their mortgage. They took a gamble, did little or no research into the biggest purchase of their lives, and should not be given any sympathy. Im sure you will also have Tom Parlon or the like on spinning the usual rubbish about it "never been a better time to buy". RTE has done some decent programs about property, but for every "future shock" you had 10 episodes of "Im an adult", or househunters, or a news piece which reads the latest press release from the CIF or IAVA verbatim and report it as "news".

The horse has long bolted on this issue. Why not do something interesting like how in bed FF are with the developers or how the media obediently reports everything that they are fed by the construction/property lobby.

If you feel so strongly why don't you give your views on TV....

Because im not very photogenic. ;-)

If you feel so strongly why don't you give your views on TV....

Who will listen to a random punter?

The people who hold sway are the media, the politicians and the so called "experts" who get so much news coverage

Prime time, as a respected watchdog type show, has had the opportunity to expose this many times before.

Disgusting whats happened thats what it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭sarahhurray

The people who hold sway are actually you, me, and the rest of the huddled masses. If we head out to buy property prices go up, if we sit on the fence they drop. Simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

It's donald-ducked Ken, and you can quote me on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

sick of reading the doom and gloom -

here is some fact than can be backed up -

waterville in blanchardstown -lot of reports on here about how erris square was handed over to affordable housing -

well that site has been closed down since last september ,the developer relaunched a couple of weeks ago at revised prices and sold so many the site is now reopened and buiding is underway on 130 units -

all prime time has to do is contact that developer for his position on the state of the housing market for a true and accurate report -

him or his new buyers must not read the doom and gloom on the state of the housing market as the buyers must think they have found value and the developer must still be making profits ,even by reducing the price

answers or comments to my post will only be speculation on your part as the only one who can comment are the recent buyers or the developer himself -

its not donald ducked -the strong will survive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Knighted - I don't agree with most of your post, everyone can have an opinion and with regard to property folks can have all sorts of basis for that opinion.

But I do agree that the doom and gloom of some people around here is amazing :)

Whats doom and gloom about not wanting a 40 year mortgage?
    Whats doom and gloom about wanting to buy an average house in Dublin 3/4 semi for a 20 year mortgage 3/4 times the average wage like it used to be?

Nothing doom and gloom there
    doom and gloom is the people who want house prices to rise endlessly

knighted_1 wrote: »
    sick of reading the doom and gloom -

here is some fact than can be backed up -

waterville in blanchardstown -lot of reports on here about how erris square was handed over to affordable housing -

well that site has been closed down since last september ,the developer relaunched a couple of weeks ago at revised prices and sold so many the site is now reopened and buiding is underway on 130 units -

all prime time has to do is contact that developer for his position on the state of the housing market for a true and accurate report -

him or his new buyers must not read the doom and gloom on the state of the housing market as the buyers must think they have found value and the developer must still be making profits ,even by reducing the price

answers or comments to my post will only be speculation on your part as the only one who can comment are the recent buyers or the developer himself -

its not donald ducked -the strong will survive

Doom and gloom you say. So sick of this phrase. Its about as meaningful as "never a better time to buy". The dogs on the street know that the party is over on property. Thats not doom, gloom or anything like it - it's reality. The fantasy that Irish people could continue to get rich selling houses to each other forever is over. That is what had to stop.

Property as a get-rich-quick scheme for punters and developers is over.

People still need to live somewhere, and when the price is right then people will buy. Nobody begrudges a developer making a profit on building houses, and they under no obligation to provide accomodation for the greater good. The developers got very greedy, eventually causing prices to become so distorted to average earnings that an affordability simply stopped the market dead. We ran out of "greater fools". The "buy now quick because the bottom rung of the ladder will be out of reach next year" mentality has been turned on its head, and people who can are prepared to wait and watch prices fall.

Your post does not give any facts, just an anecdote. What does revised prices mean? How many did they sell? Back it up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Honestly. What sort of a TV producer posts on www.boards.ie giving their email address and mobile phone number and says "Hey anybody, come tell me what you think about property and I'll put you on TV"?

Seriously though I am the deposed King of a small emirate state near dubai. I have millions of euros in my bank accounts there but due to my exile I need a friendly selfless Irish person like you my friend, to help me get the funds out of the country and in exchange I will give you half of the $100,000,000 I will receive. All I need from you is your address and alarm code as a sign of your sincerity.

Well, Ken I didn't see the program, but according to those that did you pulled quite a trick last night. Instead of having Tom Parlon, Austin Hughes, Ken McDonald or some other "only way is up" merchant, you instead had Miriam O Callaghan cutting off the (interesting) guests whenever they strayed into territory of criticising government policy which help make property speculation a national past time - In particular when Wallace was getting into criticising the section 23 policy.

Just as pathetic as predicted, but more insidious for the use of Miriam. She is supposed to facilitate debate, not push her FF credentials on the panel and shutdown the conversation every time it threatened to perhaps make FF look like the shower of yes men that they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Seriously though I am the deposed King of a small emirate state near dubai. I have millions of euros in my bank accounts there but due to my exile I need a friendly selfless Irish person like you my friend, to help me get the funds out of the country and in exchange I will give you half of the $100,000,000 I will receive. All I need from you is your address and alarm code as a sign of your sincerity.

Sir,
    That sounds like quite a deal. PM me and i will provide you with all the details.
    I look forward to working with you in the future.
    Regards.
    Caoibhin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

very heated discussion going on about this on thepropertypin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

jackal wrote: »
    Well, Ken I didn't see the program, but according to those that did you pulled quite a trick last night. Instead of having Tom Parlon, Austin Hughes, Ken McDonald or some other "only way is up" merchant, you instead had Miriam O Callaghan cutting off the (interesting) guests whenever they strayed into territory of criticising government policy which help make property speculation a national past time - In particular when Wallace was getting into criticising the section 23 policy.

Just as pathetic as predicted, but more insidious for the use of Miriam. She is supposed to facilitate debate, not push her FF credentials on the panel and shutdown the conversation every time it threatened to perhaps make FF look like the shower of yes men that they are.

btw, well said!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

IMO, Prime Time is losing credibility very fast and is becoming a daily mail sensationalist type programme to scare the bejaysus out of the middle classes while also using snazzy jazzy camera work that threatens to trigger migraines in the viewers.

Last night the last three guests were very interesting particularly Wallace and the other entrepreneur guy. I felt they were making very logical yet rarely publicly articulated points regarding how and why we are in this mess - section 23, 100% mortgages and a few more that I can't recall now.

At the beginning of the programme a developer said that it was time for government intervention to save the property market. Most of us would call that interference to prop up an ailing sector in need of reform. He said that the government should now be investing in affordable housing. So essentially what he was saying was that now the private residental sector is heading for bust and that cash cow has been bled dry they are willing to build affordable houses for the government. Most probably at inflated costs. It beggers belief really and if it wasn't true it would almost be comical.

It's shocking and appalling and what's even more appalling is that Miriam refused to let the two speakers at the end articulate their views on how government inaction brought us to this stage. I suppose those points didn't fit in with the agenda of the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

It's shocking and appalling and what's even more appalling is that Miriam refused to let the two speakers at the end articulate their views on how government inaction brought us to this stage. I suppose those points didn't fit in with the agenda of the programme.
    I wonder does Miriam have any affiliation to any political party?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,258 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    I wonder does Miriam have any affiliation to any political party?
    I'm not sure if affiliation is the right word, but http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=%22Miriam+O%27Callaghan%22+%22fianna+f%C3%A1il%22&meta=

Advertisement