Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbary pirate

Options
  • 21-04-2008 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

i was reading abook about the Barbary pirates and i read that in the late 17th century they raided a village somewhere in cork and took over 200 people as slaves any idea where this village is thank.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_pirates

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

The village was that of Baltimore in Cork.

A rather good book of it can be found here
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0862789559

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaiser_Sma

I wonder how much of the irish population was lost to international slavery over the last couple of thousand years. Lot of irish genes in iceland apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭elpresdentde

very true but we also took slaves remember St paddy we also enslaved Scotland the scoti were from the north so its a two way street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaiser_Sma

Oh yeah i know, i didn't mean it in a wronged nationalist way. Slavery was the done thing back then, especially (but not mutually exclusivly) by non-christian nations like ireland at the time. Irish, picts and saxons where collectivly responsible for the eventual destruction of the romano british society and culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭elpresdentde

id say that romano britian hell fell from external forces ie the withdrall of troops from britian
    leaveing the Provence totaly unable to defend themselves rather then the poor savages on the sidelines ie the picts celts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

The people abducted from Baltimore were mainly English settlers from what I remember

Advertisement