Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Trouble

Options
  • 21-04-2008 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Recently got an upgrade to 8Mb from 4Mb with Smart.
    Last Friday the 8Mb was coming on fast and strong. Today it's back to 4Mb though the other laptop in the house is testing at just under 8Mb.
    Smart support have been trying to figure it outr cos the line is switched for 8 BUT my laptop is only getting 4. The ethernet connection asserts that 8 is possible but when I switch to wireless (the modem is a wireless modem) I still can only get 4 ... yet the other laptop is getting the 8.

The Smart support have been suggesting all sorts of possibilities but the bottom line is it was working fine on Friday.

So, is this a PC problem? And if so what's changed since Friday?

Thanks,

E.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Eamo71 wrote: »
    Recently got an upgrade to 8Mb from 4Mb with Smart.
    Last Friday the 8Mb was coming on fast and strong. Today it's back to 4Mb though the other laptop in the house is testing at just under 8Mb.
    Smart support have been trying to figure it outr cos the line is switched for 8 BUT my laptop is only getting 4. The ethernet connection asserts that 8 is possible but when I switch to wireless (the modem is a wireless modem) I still can only get 4 ... yet the other laptop is getting the 8.

The Smart support have been suggesting all sorts of possibilities but the bottom line is it was working fine on Friday.

So, is this a PC problem? And if so what's changed since Friday?

Thanks,

E.

What speed is the router sync'd at? What wireless standard does the router support?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Spear wrote: »
    What speed is the router sync'd at? What wireless standard does the router support?

AFAIK... ADSL2+ Wireless Router with 4x 10/100 Ethernet ports and 54M Wireless.

That any help?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

AFAIK... ADSL2+ Wireless Router with 4x 10/100 Ethernet ports and 54M Wireless.

That any help?

No. Check the routers status page for the sync speed. The 54M suggests it supports 802.11g at least.

No. Check the routers status page for the sync speed. The 54M suggests it supports 802.11g at least.

Interface Type: 802.11b/g

Actual Speed: 54 Mbps (not sure if I'm helping you here...)

Interface Type: 802.11b/g

Actual Speed: 54 Mbps (not sure if I'm helping you here...)

That's the wireless bit at least. What rate is the ADSL connection syncing at though?

• Advertisement

That's the wireless bit at least. What rate is the ADSL connection syncing at though?
    This is from the homepage of the router...
    DSL Connection

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:23:14

Modulation: G.992.5 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 478 / 9,213

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 4.52 / 24.26

The thing is my other laptop is getting just under the 8 while the one I use is still on 4 (though it did hit 8 last Friday)

This is from the homepage of the router...
    DSL Connection

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:23:14

Modulation: G.992.5 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 478 / 9,213

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 4.52 / 24.26

The thing is my other laptop is getting just under the 8 while the one I use is still on 4 (though it did hit 8 last Friday)

The router is syncing at 8 meg (Smart add more to make up for the overhead hence the 9213) and a shade under 500k up.

Sounds like then that the issue is with your wireless signal. What other wireless networks are in your area?

Other providers...

NTL, Eircom, BT, Irish broadband etc...

Apologies to the mods for posting in the wrong place. I was told it was a PC problem...though it looks as though it could be wireless... sigh,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

No prob. Out of interest, what wireless cards do you have in each of the laptops? (make and model). Is it possible that one of them is an 11b card and not 54g?

• Advertisement

Hi,
    The older laptop is a Toshiba Tecra M3 the wireless card is a Intel/PRO wireless 2200b/g

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Try updating the drivers for the card (toshiba.com or intel.com should have them) and make sure that it's not operating in b mode (should say what speed it connects to router at).

drivers are up-to-date and the setting is at g... still no joy. This is really bugging me. Why was it taking 8mb on Friday and not now??

??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Is the modem an Aolynk or a Thomson ?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Is the modem an Aolynk or a Thomson ?

-
    Hi,

It's a Thomson

Hi all,

thanks for the help.

Phoned BSM who support my Tosh laptop and was told the card only supports up to 4Mb(!)
    Getting a PCMCIA card and turning off the onboard card. So now I should be able to access my full Bband speeds.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

In fairness you should change your thread title. The problem has absolutely nothing to do with Smart.

Advertisement