Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grass - where to dispose

• 21-04-2008 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I live in an estate house and have an average sized garden. When I cut the grass I have to put it all in black bags and bring it to the nearest recycling centre (16 miles away).

Just wondering what others do with the cut grass.

Don't need compost so no point in doing that.

I pay for bins by weight, so don't want to do that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I just compost it behind the shed.

How often do you cut your grass?
    If you cut it often enough you can just leave it on the lawn (the more you cut it the shorter it is and the faster it will break up)
    You can also buy a mulcher mower that will shred the cuttings and you can leave them on the grass pretty much anytime (and its good for it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Get a green cone: http://www.greencone.com/home.asp?lang=1. Save you a fortune in bin charges, and there isn't much left at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

If you know where there is a field with horses running free on it (this can be the case in a lot of large towns) the poor nags there will be glad of the clippings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

GreeBo wrote: »
    I just compost it behind the shed.

How often do you cut your grass?
    If you cut it often enough you can just leave it on the lawn (the more you cut it the shorter it is and the faster it will break up)
    You can also buy a mulcher mower that will shred the cuttings and you can leave them on the grass pretty much anytime (and its good for it)

Can u get them mulcher mowers anywhere now or are they just new ? And are they much more expensive than the normal mower ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭lisaloo

you should really give it to the animals, horses, cows etc. when we cut our grass at home the animals know and run up to get it. they love it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

A horse breeder told me never to give fresh grass clippings to horses as it can give them colic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭blackbox

bmaxi wrote: »
    A horse breeder told me never to give fresh grass clippings to horses as it can give them colic.

+1

Jayyyneyyyy - i stand corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭lisaloo

thats pure BULL

Lisloo - hows the niks?
    and whats pure bull?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

lisaloo wrote: »
    thats pure BULL

If you are referring to my post, all I can say is.
    In my last house I had a half acre lawn which was right next door to a paddock in which there were several horses. I used to cut my grass and stack the clippings against the fence. The horses, as they will, would reach over and eat the clippings. The breeder specifically asked me to move the heap to the far side of the property (and sent his staff to do it) and that was the reason he gave. Other than that, I know not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Over here we have a green bin for all our grass and other garden waste along with the purple one for ordinary household waste and a blue one for our recyling .Glad i only have a small garden .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

http://www.thehorse.com/viewarticle.aspx?ID=5145

Grass clippings can cause colic in horses that are not used to being fed on pasture.

Back on topic, I doubt the OP in an estate garden necessarily has a horse anywhere near him. And incidentally it's the height of bad manners to feed other people's animals without their express permission.

Moving onwards, what else can the OP do with his grass clippings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

http://www.thehorse.com/viewarticle.aspx?ID=5145

Grass clippings can cause colic in horses that are not used to being fed on pasture.

Back on topic, I doubt the OP in an estate garden necessarily has a horse anywhere near him. And incidentally it's the height of bad manners to feed other people's animals without their express permission.

Moving onwards, what else can the OP do with his grass clippings?

It is correct about the colic. Also, I would not give the animals fresh cut grass without the permission of the owner. What if the animal got sick and the owner traced it back to some fertiliser/weed killer that you sprayed on the grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Grass breaks down quite well when placed into compost heaps etc. You get a 10:2 reduction approximately over time.
    I managed to find a damaged green-bin, less the wheels, so I drilled breather holes into it and made a door at the bottom.
    I can now add 50% of the grass clippings and all of the kitchen waste. It breaks down in a matter of 3 months and can be chucked around the garden, at the base of plants, or just used as a soil enricher.

The rest of the grass clippings go behind the shed.

If you're short of space, consider putting the clippings into an old peat-moss bag and close the top shut. Leave it somewhere it will get some sun (up against a wall) and the grass will break down in a matter of weeks. It may save you one trip in two every time you cut the grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

OP, composting seems to be the best answer, you may not need compost but what about your neighbours?

Advertisement